LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I said he can't harm them.

But his judgement authority lets him seal them especially gods. Also given how widespread worship of Van is at this point even if the Stakes can only affect "God's on Labda" van is probably close enough to count. In terms of fighting sealing away your opponent also counts as a win technically like how sealing Vida let Alda bascially run wild on Lamda for 10,000 years until Van messed everything up.

So between his element and his sealing power he's a hard counter to Van.

But of course at the same time a win for Van is much more permanent than a win for Alda as seals can be undon. eaten souls can't be ... uneaten.

The only thing that might give Alda an edge is he fought Gundaris before so he has combat experience against a demon king and also has thousands of years of experience as a god. No matter how strong Van is he's not used to seriously fighting full powered gods.

Fitun was close but ultimately his fusion with Hajime was his undoing as his cowardess crippled Fitun at crucial moments.

2. grim5000

grim5000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't it mentioned that the battle with Fitun was also fought at a lower level of power on both sides due to the surrounding? Van because he didn't want to leave enough evidence behind for the humans to find out about who he is, and Fitun because of the limits of Hajime's body?

I want to say that Van's fight with Heinz and Curatos was probably closer to it, but it's been so long since I read it that I can't even remember how much stronger Van has gotten since then, so it's probably not a good gauge either anymore.

3. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Robcorte's thinking is based on three things, the first thing that comes to mind without thinking about the consequences or contradicts himself, a dartboard type thinking in which he throws what he has and follows with what he is stick to the wall and lastly, when you use the full potential of your brain, to make excuses or avoid pain. I think if you trained a monkey enough, it would do a better job than him.
    There are two problems with that, first, Arda shot himself in the foot with the eclipse, he can't go down to the ground, and if Van goes up, although the difference in size matters, Van of a single hollow cannon leaves ko to Alda (although passing through the heroic gods will be a problem). Second, it is not very likely that Alda fought directly, remember, when everything went to the guru, the one who was in charge not only of the front line, but of the army itself, was bellwood, besides that although his attribute has spells of combat, it does not seem that your authorities have anything to do with the issue.

4. Bielt

Bielt 『Planets Eater』『The Sin of Animosity』

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually check out your previous post, it is written can instead of can't
    You are only half right about that tho
    While alda attribute counters Van's
    You need to remember that Van's death attribute can cancel Alda sealing powers as shown when he unsealed Vida.

So he can only win if he is fast enough to deal with Van's friends faster than Van can unseal himself

5. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not talking about the likelyhood of a direct fight between Alda and Van. That's beside the point. The point is how in a theoretical fight Alda himself is the hardest counter his side has to Van.

Of course this is also assuming Alda is even able to seal van without him just eating it. But for argument's sake I'm going to be fair to Alda and assume that the seal restricts ALL powers of it's target including soul dammaging attacks. Meaning with this assumption while Van can break seals on others he wouldn't so easily be able to break one on himself.

Again no real way to prove that assumption for now but you can't disprove it either for the time being. Also if we assume he can simply eat the seal then all of this is a moot point.
    Like I said above that is assuming he could. Remember being sealed is entirely different from being outside of a seal.

Fundementally a seal's power is directed inwards. Meaning Van could easily use his power to attack the seal from outside.

But being sealed is entirely differnent and while it's entirely possible he could eat away at it from within it's also possible the seal would restrict his soul eating power entirely. Remember Alda's sealing power is related to his divine authority and is more like an absolute rule than a simple ability.

That's why he could seal Vida for what would have been possibly forever had Van not freed her. At her peak she's not weaker than Alda but that difference in power doesn't factor into the seal which ignores that for the most part.

Eddy andres likes this.
  6. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine it would be like the curse Rod put on him, if it were in someone else he could probably gouge out the part affected, and then fill in the gap. On himself, he ends up mixing it in more, since any destruction counts as him eating it.

7. Bielt

Bielt 『Planets Eater』『The Sin of Animosity』

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically it doesn't really matter if it seals all of Vans powers.
    Alda law stakes are made out of mana, while death mana has a natural attribute of dissolving other types of mana (as can be seen when the reincarnator with shield powers died because Pluto body released the stored death mana)
    Also as seen in Vida's case the seal doesn't stop the god from generatin Mana, it basically saps it and restrict their ability to gather/control it.

So technically saying as long as Van soul continues to generate death mana it will passively consume the seal even if Van is unconscious tho ofc course it will be at a much slower rate.

Sincerely, the only 3 people i can imagine giving Van real trouble are:
    Bellwood cus as Alda Champion be probably has access to Alda attributes and as warrior he can put it to much better use.

Second Gurandis because he is grossely overpowered, so even in a weakned state he would be a hard opponent

Third is avalon because having no growth limits is already overpowered in a normal world much less one where killing things make you stronger.
    If given time he could easily become as strong as Gurandis on his prime

Eddy andres and Feng Tian like this.
  8. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And even then its questionable as to how much they can trouble him.
    Bellwood ain't Alda in regards to power, even if he is less of a sissy.
    Gurandis is definitely a pain. Especially since Van can't just anti-attribute him like he can with everybody else.
    Avalon has a broken ability but he doesn't get to leech exp the way Van does. He might not have the time to become a godlike existence. Remember: Minor gods are onehits as is. And Van's power growth hasn't slowed in the slightest.

9. Mastine

Mastine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alda isn't EXACTLY the direct counter to Van's powers. It's the mix of Light and Life. Alda stole the life attribute when he sealed Vida but he can't use it very well. |
    Ketchup as a human can mix the two better than Alda can so he is the definite threat. Which he has been since the beginning. He is the protagonist of another story that doesn't get the things he does wrong hand waved away because he's the POV character.
    Bellwood would be a threat. If he had the capability to think farther ahead than what's immediately in front of him. Zakkart called him an idiot even 10k years ago. The gods don't seem to change much.
    Guduranis is a tasty snack without his true physical body.
    Rodolt sending a message to Avalon to train himself and divine guides would be quite the threat.

10. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to remember, that even if he is an idiot, Bellwood is still the result of hours of farming mods rank 10 onwards, getting to kill even ranks above 13 without problems, someone who could face only the demon king who like We know he has a similar skill set to Van, even if his skill set was not appropriate for Van, or he weakened after being a god, he held off the life faction in its prime before Van .

11. Fik

Fik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bellwood only capable of defeating demon king Gunduranis by sacrificing zakart and other 3, and the same skill set with van is skill from DK body and soul destruction elements, DK can't even devour soul like van
    And he is weakened after fighting an evil god
    He is not as powerful as you imagine

Eddy andres likes this.
  12. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But Van isn't as strong as the original Demon King. This is a well-acknowledged fact. What makes Van even more dangerous compared to Guduranis is his empathy. It's a lot harder to unite the world against a foe that has no intention of destroying it and even goes out of their way to help people.

Which is stronger, DK's soul destruction vs Van's soul devouring isn't important. Van's soul devouring only works after he's damaged the opponent's soul, so in a fight it doesn't matter as much. It is only afterwards that Van's soul devouring showcases how OP it is compared to the DK's soul destruction. While he can recover by eating souls, it takes him a bit to fully digest them (aka gain their cheat powers).

The main difference is between Van and the old DK is that fighting Van with a lot of people only helps him, while Guduranis was so powerful bringing lots of weaklings just wouldn't do anything to him. So Van is better against armies (or maybe hordes of heroes?) than Guduranis, but he can be killed much 'easier'.

13. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    the champions died before the final battle, after that there was a period of defeats where the great gods were falling, even if they had given him a political benefit, they would not have given him one of power. Nor should it be underestimated for two things, one, the style of soul destruction leaves Vandeliu very sold and if he does not use it, he will be affected by the loss of vitality and two, what he was saying and if the style is incompatible with the of Van? For example, if it is like Heinz based on attack, no problem, but what if it is a more tested version of Fitun? based on magical attacks imbued with light magic at speeds that Vandelieu cannot avoid, what if instead of an oricalhum sword he used a weapon from the fragment of the demon king? Or will he use massive area attacks or barrage of bullets that ignore the legion counter, and even Zadiris can't deflect his light magic level?

Just as an example, if current Vandeliu and the whole group fight against Farmaund Gold, there are high chances that they will win by the power of soul destruction, but they are not 100% percent, we already saw that the at least is 5 to 10 times stronger than Heinz (being nice), how will Bellwood be, who was the lantern of humanity and that the second thing they talk about besides his shirt is his power

14. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like Gudu killed the Champions by destroying their souls, without actually injuring their bodies all that much, but Van can damage souls with every attack that hits. I think he's technically eating any bit he damages too, it's just not a full meal until he kills them.

15. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Re-reading my post, I guess I wasn't too clear. But what I was trying to say was: soul destruction and soul devouring aren't that different from each other from the victim's perspective; either way their soul is gone.

Totally botched the explanation originally. :blobsweat:
    I think I was trying to change the wording in my post because most of what we know of soul destruction is from when Van had it. So we don't actually know if there was any sort of limit to Guduranis' power. But from Van's use, we can see the two work in the same way. The only difference is how soul devour restores resources during battle, not currently something that would tip the scales in Van's favor versus the Demon King's soul destruction.

Edit: Man, I'm making lots of typos/mistakes today. :eek:

Baldingere likes this.
  16. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    From the flashbacks and explanations, I think Gudu was doing it the brute force way. He probably had an attack that crushed souls, it would be like relying on Van's cannon, but considering that fragments of Gudu were left at the scene, he had probably weaponized some God fragments, or blessings/curses, and wasn't actually using Death magic.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Eddy andres likes this.
  17. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You will not be disappointed,
    The fuse even was lit by Heinz's hero complex causing him to go to an event where he could not help with and only got in the way during

The Godly Aeolus likes this.
  18. The Godly Aeolus

The Godly Aeolus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Y'know... it makes me wonder if being woefully incompetent is a requirement to be a relevant villain in Death Mage. Apart from Bormack Gordon, none of Vandalieu's enemies really seemed to have a clue... not even the Gods, which bodes ill for their future.

EDIT: Bormack Gordon had no way of knowing what Van was capable of, so he has that excuse. Everyone else though? Are they deliberately not paying attention?

Eddy andres likes this.
  19. blue skywolf

blue skywolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its not that there not paying attention, its that they only see what they want to and nothing else. like instead of seeing van save the town to help people they see van doing so to increase his followers and turn them against alda and create a base to infiltrate the orubum kingdom to start his takeover.

Baldingere likes this.
  20. The Godly Aeolus

The Godly Aeolus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's called "deliberately not paying attention." Gordon was the only villain who was properly paranoid about the breadth and potency of Vandalieu's abilities; normally, it wouldn't take all that much brain-power to figure that a toddler who can animate an entire city, slay a Noble Orc in single combat, and cross the Boundary Mountain Range might actually be freakishly powerful.

To date, literally everyone else who actually comprehends just how powerful Vandalieu happens to be has deliberately gone out of their way to either befriend him, or flee from him without causing further antagonism. The other villains of the series have, without exception, made a number of brain-dead decisions about how to properly deal with Van.