LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. Prothvar781

Prothvar781 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Worse my friend. Reading MTL is freaking “Godzilla tried to read this and had a stroke and died.” Levels of pain and suffering. But you decided to do that for fun. Meaning reading MTL is either the highest level of devotion. The highest level of Maso. Or both.

2. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If i remember machine learning and AI classes correctly, it sould be possible to feed a learning AI with raw chapters up to now and also Yoshi's translations of said chapters as an example and produve something focused soloely on translating Death mage.

It would rebel every time a new japanese expression or skill was used, and it would have to be updated with every new Yoshi translation, but it would protect giant nuclear lizzards from brain damage

3. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like that could help yoshi translate faster by creating a partial translation quickly.

Not that I don't like their work so far but it wouldn't hurt to make the process more efficient.

4. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rodcorte's purpose is to elevate the technology and culture of lamba, here we are discussing making an assistive AI of Yoshi to increase productivity. hmmmmm

Chuuni001 likes this.
  5. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Augur』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't his purpose, it's his motive to increase output of souls from Lambda.

6. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it will not help to translate faster. It may take more time to edit MTL than translate yourself. From Yoshi translations I think he knows Japanese and English good, so to translate one chapter from Japanese to English may take only 1 hr, but editing it (not grammar, but sentence structure and expression) takes a lot of time and translating new names of skills takes a lot of time. I don't think MTL would do good work at it :)

7. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    1 hour, that's cute.

Here is an overall explanation of how Yoshi works:

He main job is in Japan, translating JP to English (Government work). So although he is not Japanese (I think he had said he is from NZ), he is very much fluent.
    The author has his own quirks when writing, which sometimes doesn't help.
    Due to the long time between chapters, Yoshi forgets some details, the lack of knowing the future also causes some internal confusion when he doesn't really know what exactly is going to happen.

He doesn't just translate: for better or worse, he localizes, meaning, if you take the RAWs with his translation and compare 1:1, you will be surprised. That's not to say he is changing the story, he is not, or at least, he is not trying to, but some things are either hard to translate (like the multiple types of "I"), or otherwise completely discarded (Character quirks, including the multiple types of I that show more of the character's personality). There are things that could be said to already be past the point of no return, like how some terms have been translated, and is hard to go back (Although he did fix the recent Demon Continent from Dark Continent, as I had suggested him)

When summed with those initial points, the localization ends up a bit more complicated.

About the time used to translate, that, of course, depends on the chapter, Summary Chapters are more filled with text, so they take longer, but to normal chapters, some are longer, some are shorter. In the past, Yoshi said he would take 6 to 8 hours for a chapter, since that time, it seems he can do it a bit faster now, although it still relies on motivation.

Then comes the editing and corrections (besides discussions about some of those corrections), because Yoshi knows more than one language, he is a bit more lenient to translation, forgiving what some native English speakers would consider proper English, hence, there are people there to correct and support in that regard.

So in these days where he was releasing 1 chapter a day, overall, he would come with the translated chapter in the same day, but since he is in Japan, which is the opposite time-zone from the west, although minor, there are some problems with time zones, so he would have to wait for the team to be available and do some corrections at least.

-------------

These arguments are taken from my own conversations with Yoshi, some of his words from the past, and my own experience now that I joined the editor team to support in some translations, mostly to help support the context, since I already read the raws, and have a lot of notes on that.

lohwengk and xshugox like this.
  8. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    May be I wrote wrong, by translating I had in mind translation of MTL quality and by editing everything you wrote.

9. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who did light translations for all chapters up to the latest from the start of Arc 13, it would still take me somewhere around 3 to 4 hours, and I wasn't trying to do an exact translation (Since my Japanese is overall very basic, it did improve with this work though).

Yoshi who would need to compare and change things (MTL does gets things wrong sometimes, and other times it skips sentences completely), meaning that he would still need to rewrite and check everything up one way or another.

10. Kaithar

Kaithar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a good demonstration of the issues with half-hearted MTL, consider the translations that keep misgendering their pronouns and have problems with negation or sensible proper nouns. MTL is a powerful tool but if you want quality then it wouldn't save much time.

I forget which story I was reading recently that referenced the "sea ass"... that one got a chuckle.

11. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I understand JP pronouns don’t have genders in general? Feel free to correct since this is just what I can remember from past conversations but if so it entirely makes sense why MTL would mess up genders.

12. Kaithar

Kaithar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no... The JP pronouns I know of aren't inherently gendered but there is a norm that pronouns for others are frowned upon in most cases so you have a mix of implication carrying first person singular, a rude "you", names, and a bunch of titles and loose honorifics. So MTL gets it wrong a lot when trying to fill in possessives like "her fingers".

The problem is that these are errors that should be immediately obvious to someone reading the text. You don't use he/his/him to refer to Empresses, Saintesses or nuns... A reader can normally tell who a pronoun is associated with and their gender (if previously stated), so making an error like that usually means the text hasn't been read or edited properly. Similarly, mixing up the subject and target of an action is usually obvious, so if Alice gets kicked by Eve then there shouldn't be text saying Alice was hurt by Alice's foot.

In a separate but probably related note, I wish translators and editors would learn that stylings like "Your Majesty" are only correct when talking to that person, while talking to anybody else it should be "His Majesty" or "Her Majesty" ... Calling random people with the "Your" version would be rude at best and criminal at worst.

lohwengk likes this.
  13. Kasaix

Kasaix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is the novel called 4th time? Didn't the MC only die 2 times? Shouldn't it be 3 times?

14. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like the title says, he doesn’t want a 4th time meaning a 4th life.

Zamzukan likes this.
  15. Kasaix

Kasaix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhhh now I got it sorry english is my second language

16. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    He actually died 3 times though:
    1 - In the Ferry on Earth
    2 - As a guinea Pig, in Origin
    3 - As an Undead, in Origin

But yeah, the title is referring to Life rather than Death. As can be seen from one of Kanata's chapter title: The man who wants a 4th time.

17. spycho357

Reading List:
    Link
  18. X07Zero

X07Zero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I click without looking carefully that it's a manga chapter, not a novel one......dang it, karma is really a bitch, right? XD

PS. still, thank you^^

Edit: Ternecia is kinda...cute?...not like what I have in mind at all ^^;

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    spycho357 likes this.
  19. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what the other purebreds said, but inside it's pure evil.
    They are operating on a normal human without a guide.

-I don't know doctor, I'm scared.

-Don't worry, I have a lot of experience as a butcher and practicing and receiving lobotomies.

-The butcher reassures me, but I don't know what lobotomy refers to, even so, doctor.

-Yes?

- Is this a heart operation?

-Yes.

So why are you asking me to open my mouth?

-It is an effective method.

-Yes, but shouldn't he be unconscious?

-relax, I have everything arranged, isis?

-Of course, this will only hurt for a minute.

-Wait, or for God's sake, what is that, don't, get away from me, or for alda sake.

-please refrain from that kind of profanity during a very important session, one mistake and you will see your kidneys.

Baldingere likes this.
  20. spycho357

Reading List:
    Link
    sigh, it looks like after Yoshi got back to work the backlog of work is quit staggering. So how about we talk about the most interesting topic for this novel? What other amenities will Van introduce and will the Bellwood extremist group catch wind of Cola and come knocking?

CountryMage likes this.