Discussion Death March anime is out!

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy the webnovel but can't really get into the light novel and manga which is the ones the anime is likely based on so I'll pass on this one.
    Death March is a kind of guilty pleasure story that just don't work for me when they try to clean it up and present it as a commercial product.

Nyanko, Wujigege and juniorjawz like this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry, I can see that they really cleaned the story department here so there's that.

3. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is before he met the shitling that can see spirits/elementals and see if Satou was gone or I will watch it. If it gets to the point after this then no.

4. SirMajorLemon

SirMajorLemon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    And afterwards he mentioned that the mom was hot

6. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link

*bows* Thank you for your concern, but I will have to politely decline. Again thank you for your concern. :)

7. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    The first episode was pretty good in my opinion.( if you don't include the "amazing" 3d of the mob character, i just don't like "3d" effect in anime)

juniorjawz likes this.
  8. BloodAdept

BloodAdept Blood Sacrifice Practitioner

Reading List:
    Link
    Well since you aren't interested i'll just throw it out for anyone who wants it.

9. rei_hunter

rei_hunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    goddamnit.

I guess i'm skipping this shit.

10. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I don't mind that as a source of a problem to move a story along.

I tried checking your reading list to see how many novels you've read but if you haven't read many then I would suggest a lot of other novels before reading this. I honestly hate everything about the main character of this series yet I have still read it all. I think the novel's strength is its world building and secondary characters and conflicts. As well as its side chapters and seeing how ridiculous some events are from their perspective. If some changes were made to Satou then I would probably find him to be a decent character but that isn't the case. I haven't seen the episode yet but I have read the manga and I find him annoying in that as well.

Now that I got that out of my system my actual reasons off the top of my head
    1. He's supposed to be 29 years old and assumes that mentality but he's given a 15 year old body when he wakes up. (I'm fine with this but this needs to be included for later points)
    2. Satou meets a lot of people in the first town he travels to. This includes a lot of potential harem members their age ranges from immortal automaton to 7-11 year old girls. Out of them only 3 seem to be older than our MC's body.
    3. The MC is shown to be someone who is interested in the opposite sex but doesn't act on it. (Putting this here for the same reason as #1)
    4. MC decides to buy slaves as one of them is right in his strike zone but she's too young right now.
    5. One of the harem members openly shows her affection for him to the point where he notices it. He decides to ignore them and carry on with his journey and leaves that city.
    6. MC now has his party leaving the city with a 4 girls who look below the age of 12, the slave who he will keep around until she is older, the guardian character of two of the little girls and an automaton. He is viewed favorably by all members and at this point more than one of them would gladly marry him.
    7. MC later receives a title of nobility
    8. His benefactor or boss? tries to marry his daughter to him but he refuses. The daughter is older than him but he says she's too young for him
    9. He's still traveling around with girls who don't look like their older than 12
    10. He goes to one of the biggest cities in that country. One of the Duke's daughters fall for him. She can easily pressure him into marriage through political reasons if she wants. She's too young for him but they become friends.
    11. MC visits brothels to relieve his accumulated stress. The young party members are extremely upset with him
    12. MC turns the head miko into a 6 year old girl
    13. MC is constantly looking at his benefactor's dauther's boobs but he won't see her as a potential harem member
    14. MC finally falls in love with someone.
    15. She wants him to have as many descendants as possible since she's of a long lived race.
    16. She tells all his harem members this as well.
    17. MC still won't initiate any relationships with them
    18. He gets politically engaged to a princess. He doesn't see her as anything more than a traveling companion
    19. MC meets a hero with a party full of beautiful women in their 20s. Says how envious of him he is. He's still traveling with a bunch of kids
    20. He eventually gets a harem of older girls and still won't do anything with them. They just kind of exist.
    21. I'm starting to believe there are no male characters in this novel
    22. I still haven't touched on his thought process in terms of using his abilities.

Omnicast likes this.
  11. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the scene of him saving Zena in the wyvern battle does not happen in the WN?

12. Kagutsuchi

Kagutsuchi 『Omnipresent Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, the author is a fcking lolicon?
    Well...If it's like you've described it, then this novel is annoying huh, thanks for the help!
    Can you recommend me some novels? JP (I've read a lot of CN since I hate JP mc with dense/naive personality, 80% of them)

13. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    just read it.
    one of my earliest read alongside Mushoku Tensei and Overlord and it has a place in my heart.

3 repetitive things haters say.
    main char personality n decision
    story progression
    plot

you can read reviews like the long post guy above me. pretty accurate.
    then again this was for the WN

same goes to Overlord and MT which has their own WN too

FussyBadger likes this.
  14. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    The short answer is no but the long answer is there is a line about turning one of the hero's party member into a little girl because he finds them attractive. He can do that apparently

No problem just send me a pm with what genre you're interested in/ like and dislikes

15. BloodAdept

BloodAdept Blood Sacrifice Practitioner

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they actively met until he saved her from the demon? I can't remember.

16. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read overlord yet but MT is one of my favorites. The thing about those three things is that is a lot about what makes a novel interesting. Death march is in my opinion worse than smartphone because at least smartphone can be seen as a parody. I'm not saying it is but it kills the tension before it even has the chance to set it up. Satou on the other hand can take care of any building tension and problems before they even develop with his abilities. He can save anyone he chooses and forsake any one as well. It feels like his character is blank and he just does all these amazing things like he's shopping for groceries.

17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong. IIRC it happened really casually around the end. Like every part of the wyvern fight I guess lol. I don't even know why Zena's in the story though after certain events...

I'm not sure about the author, but it's described a few times that the MC goes to brothels (with onee-sans, not imoutos), and implied later that he visits them often. He just can't deal with girls who are in love with him I guess.

Kagutsuchi likes this.
  18. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    and to counter that :
    that's exactly what the novel is all about.
    this isn't some save the world or destroy the world MC. He's just a normal human with his own problems. Everything is a choice and he doesn't have to stay on one side of the value all the time. 'Sometimes we step on a bug, sometimes we care for the bug and let it go.' That's who Satou is. Some unmotivated character that lived his life only helping his company, now in another world and having all the freedom he wants. it is what he chooses to do with it. Also personally after watching the anime. A blank character no longer describe him. In the novel he had some character in the early chap which dissolves overtime into a blank slate. As if the author wasn't sure what to make of Satou. But as we know this happens in WN and there's a chance for improvement and redo.

i gtg lol gonna prob type more later

19. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    To counter your counterpoint
    isn't this novel about conquering his insatiable lust for delicious food.

I do agree with you that he had more personality in the beginning of the novel before he got his abilities.

I mean if the novel is truly about him wanting to be with Aze then why make him battle, demon lords, dragons, space kraken monsters and gods? Why not just try to condense it down to a smaller story than that and make it more slice of life instead? Why include all this world building if your MC doesn't care about it? Why include weasel kingdom at all if he didn't care about it? This is why I get frustrated with this story. I've enjoyed parts of it but thinking about Satou just triggers irrational anger for me. Sorry about all the ranting I'll stop now

juniorjawz likes this.
  20. Thousandswords

Thousandswords SWORD OF PENETRATION

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to stay away from both JP and CN novels now, as for the ratings at NU... I have lost my trust in them long ago.
    You can say I have outgrown CN and JP novel.
    Now, I have neither love nor hatred for them.
    I have become a Saint.
    ( But still, my hatred for those di*kless JP protagonists are there as strongly as ever and I'm sure this novel is no different)