Deciding what cover art to use for the NU page of a novel

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by UnGrave, Aug 26, 2018.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    As we move to volume 2 of "Is it Tough Being a Friend?", I look at the cover page for the novel and think, 'perhaps I should upload the cover art for volume 2 now?' just so we stay current. I haven't done anything this crazy yet, but I want to know a few things about this. What decided which cover to use for a novel? Can the cover be changed by just anyone? Should we stick with the cover for the first volume? Or should we stick with whatever was uploaded first? If there is a LN and a WN for a novel, should the have different covers? At this point, could I change the cover of the death March WN to volume 1?

Really I'm just detracting myself from my re problems by nitpicking over this issue, but what do you guys think? Are there rules and guidelines for this? Do the mods have anything to clarify on this?

Be sure to smash that MF like button, and subscribe, and let me know in the comments what you think.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    aQeL694G_700w_0.jpg

UnGrave likes this.
  3. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could replace the cover if you want.
    The only rules for the cover are:
    1. No fan art
    2. Don't use cover that are NSWF/racist/anything that might cause FBI knocking on NU door.
    If there's LN and WN version, and the WN have their own cover, I prefer if they keep the WN cover for the W tho. Mainly to keep it separated and give more insight to the character

4. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    more often than not, tony's priority went like this;
    1. early volume's *cover (volume 1 especially)
    2. better resolution/quality
    3. personal preferences (his)
    * official/original cover

i understand you want to keep up with the story, but let's not forget new readers while doing so. having later volume covers is sometimes massive spoilers. but most importantly, imho, is that they're misleading.

examples
    4301.jpeg
    who's the rettousei / mc ? looks like a s.o.l, fluffy, shoujo-ai -ish novel.

10144.jpeg
    no overlord?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    LaDyViL and Blitz like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also the thing about only the translator or someone else directly involved with the translation being able to submit a new cover if I remember

6. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone can submit a cover actually. it is just that translators/group/staff submission is usually given higher priority when there's multiple cover being submitted at the same time (by multiple users), or for replacing current covers.

but all that's still comes after the previously listed priorities. i myself had dozens of my submission rejected till now, fyi

Blitz likes this.