Discussion Deleted comments?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by reanox, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, so a somewhat critical comment of mine, not offensive in any kind of shape mind you, on a rather big novel site got deleted today and I was wondering if any one of you has made similar experiences? Me personally, I am not a big fan of what could in my opinion be considered 'censorship'.

Edit: After talking to the translator, the comment was let through again, still kind of a bummer.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, the internet is a cruel place.

And no one is a big fan of being censored, unless they are the one doing the censoring.

It sucks, but that is life for you.

3. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    some systems have really kneejerk reactions to reports, and then there's mods that're near bipolar and flip their shit at the slightest of things. doesn't really matter what you say, as long as it could potentially bother someone. freedom of speech is nonsense when people can just delete whatever mildly bothers them. you get used to it and move on to someplace where people can openly hate each other without issue.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, they removed your comment then after you talked to the translator they let it through again?
    I know you said 'not offensive in any kind of shape mind you' but you made me curious, just what in the world did you write in that comment (you even mentioned "I am not a big fan of what could in my opinion be considered 'censorship'")?
    Seriously, what did you write :blobunsure:?

5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    People have a big misconception about freedom of speech. Freedom of speech only prevents government from shutting you up, but it doesn't prevent other individuals from doing so. Because freedom of speech should not be confused with being given a platform for said speech. If I go in the middle of a walmart and start spouting stuff, walmart staff can remove me from said property. If I scream in a library, the library will ask me to leave.

Again, people shouldn't confuse freedom of speech with right to a platform for said speech. It is their website, their property, they are free to do whatever on their own property.

6. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, nothing big. I was complimenting the translators quality while at the same time questioning his choice of novel haha. In a polite way, of course.

7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    That is bigger than you think. It even violates NU's rules and for a reason. Those kind of comments can demotivate translators.

Rumby, Shunraiki and tailor31415 like this.
  8. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    there is not true freedom in the world, get used to it

9. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if it's in their rules, sure. But personally, I think I shouldn't only be allowed to write positive things that the translator likes reading about, as long as there's nothing offensive, insulting or spoilerish about my statement everything should go.

10. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Fredom ? What is that is that tasty?

11. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    But it's up to them what they should or shouldn't allow, their house, their rules. Unless you are paying for said service you can only eat up what is given to you for free. You can make your own blog and complain about them all you want if you wish.

That said, you can say that allowing all kinds of comments other than offensive ones as "common courtesy". But at same time, questioning the translator's choice of novels is rude and doesn't show "common courtesy" either. :/

Shunraiki, tailor31415, Rumby and 2 others like this.
  12. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's of course debatable, but that's alright it's a matter of opinion as well I think. Of course they get to delete what type of comment they don't want to see, it's still kinda censorship for me.

13. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    There are sites where my comments never appear or disappear after a few minutes. It seems to be more of a problem with the system itself (biggest offender is sites where comments require google accounts), because one time I successfully complained about my comments disappearing and the translator was confused. Dunno if that’s what might have happened to you? Now, I just never comment on those sites, because there’s no point in trying.

14. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but I kind of doubt your opinion is any different. Personally, I think its a matter of perspective.

Let us say I come to your house and start talking good things about all the stuff you hate and bad things about all the stuff you like and without being offensive. Would you censor me by telling me to shut up or leave?

We need to remember and look from the perspective of others, telling a person that the countless hours of their lives they put in effort into isn't worth doing is quite offensive really.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    AliceShiki likes this.
  15. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think its comparable, most translators are offering public chapters, to some I contribute monetarily, to some I don't. But even as a free reader, I am supporting your livelihood through ads and whatnot. So, I think I am free to express my opinion in a civilised manner, which I did, without offending anyone and without being censored. Of course you can censor me, but then I'll just stop supporting you. Which of course probably won't matter to you, but it should.

16. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You think the ads support their livelihood? lol. More than often the ads break even on their costs of hosting/getting raws and etc, and even then it isn't guaranteed. I mean average cpm for small sites is under $1. Even if we assume $1, your view only amounts to 1/10th of a cent, that means your view probably at best covers the electricity costs of them reading your comment.

And as I pointed out in the edit above, implying the countless hours someone spends on doing something as worthless is actually quite offensive.

17. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh, whatever dude. I never said anything about anyone's effort being useless, you're putting words in my mouth. Sure, my individual ad revenue might not add up to anything, but without free readers there never would've been any paying readership either. Do you pay for every novel you read? I really want the new novels that are picked up not to be standard cookie cutter repeatables, so I finally get to read good new stuff again, and am more than willing to pay for it. But it's mostly just not happening, and that's disappointing. While we're already at it, I also think that prices charged for advanced chapters are way too high, I would much prefer netflix like subscription systems

18. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    if there's nothing violating a rule, for a platform that totes itself on letting people speak their mind, it's still a dick move for someone to delete stuff they personally disagree. sure, admins/mods still have the power and ability and are free to use it as they wish, but doing so in situations that don't warrant such a reaction goes against the whole reason people use those platforms in the first place and will push people away. again, it's their choice if they want to do that, but they also should no longer be allowed to claim people are free to post their thoughts and opinions. it's just a dick move and such behavior should be looked down upon.

GDLiZy and reanox like this.
  19. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mah boy

20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    You are making it like he is intentionally being a jerk, which I think is not the case. He even said that he thanks the translator for translating the novel and then asked them about the reasons why they took this particular novel.

Let take your house analogy. First, he came into the house, admiring it and compliment the owner of the house, before questioning you why you used bricks instead of wood. If I was the house owner, I would say that although bricks are less beautiful than wood, it is sturdier. I would not ask him to leave for such a petty reason of him not liking bricks.

reanox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.