Discussion Detached, calm and composed character

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ner0, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,
    I'm trying to visualise a detached, calm character that does not get influenced by outside circumstances and has complete control of his internal world.
    I wonder if you can think of one such character, either in movies, series or novels.
    The closest person I've found in real life is Isa Sadhguru who appears detached from the turbulence of the outside world, but I would like to find a fictional character instead.

Thank you.

Maomaomao and otaku31 like this.
  2. I your Father

I your Father Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the magic world
    Carefree path of dreams

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone: But no psychopaths like Leylin or Fang Yuan, plz. They're the ones who always get recommended for such requests. :blob_coughblood:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  4. ladyartemis

ladyartemis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, if I may - Xie He from Capture that Scum Gong fits the bill of being a character that does not get influenced by outside circumstances and has complete control of his internal world, well, at least this is applicable when doing his missions. :blobsmilehappyeyes: Oh, and also Xie Jing Xing from Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of the Military Lineage is a calm, detached character who has complete control over his internal world. Of course, all of these comes from my own opinion only.

5. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to clarify what's the difference between indifference/indifferent and detachment.

6. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MC of you've got the wrong house, villian

7. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Eight treasures trousseau and to be a virtuous wife, both are mc that are calm and collected facing their husband and some small little trick, bit ofc they have to act sometimes when facing certain situation to give others certain amount of "face"...

8. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indifferent is not caring about the view of others. Not recognising their worth. It comes from a feeling of self sufficiency or arrogance.
    Detachment is recognising the opinion of others but not letting it affect you. Whether it's a compliment or a critic, it's about retaining your calmness because you don't take things personally.
    The way I would describe it is calm as a river.

To give an example: Albus Dumbledore show the kind of detachment I seek.
    He's not perfect and most of it is just an appearance but he shows that he cares, yet he always appear calm and that's the feeling he projects to others.

Dr_H_16 and yuzen like this.
  9. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Carefree path of dreams : based on the personality description, this does not fit. Though I'll try the novel, it seems interesting.
    Warlock of the magic world : same issue. It seems to be more indifference than detachment.
    Thank you for your participation

10. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indifference is lack of interest or caring. Rather than not recognizing someone's worth, it's not concerning yourself with others/some matters. It's disinterest more than arrogance or belief in one's self-sufficiency. Tho I do agree that it carries a more negative connotation than detachment.

yuzen likes this.
  11. yuzen

yuzen ⚝Ńihilisťič⚝

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Isaac novels protagonist fits under detachment category.

Ner0 likes this.
  12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    All quiet on the western front. A powerful book regarding war. War = detachment.

Ner0 likes this.
  13. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sherlock Holmes - crime solving technique

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strangely or not, the most detached characters I've seen being depicted are sociopaths.
    The best example I have of this, with the most descriptions is Benjamin Linus from the series Lost. When the others were shocked, only he showed no emotion on his face, quickly coming up with a plan. Through the series, he was shown doing insane and brillant things as we could only wonder whether he was faking the emotions he was showing and didn't have any, or if he cared about someone, like his daughter or Juliette.
    He appeared attached to his daughter, but we've seen him countless times being cold towards her, pretending he doesn't care his enemies threatened his daughter's life.

In the same series, Jacob also showed a kind of detachment. He's compassionate but schemed to get all of them on the island, sacrificing countless people to get the result he wanted. He did not show any emotion and even though he appeared kind, no one understood his thought pattern until the end. The only attachment he had by guessing is toward the island and Humanity. But neither prevented him from putting them both at risk to achieve his goal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.