Digimon Reboot: Episode Discussion [Spoilers, duh]

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Gandire Alea, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Do you think one of Kouji Wada’s songs will be played at some point in time??

1. Butterfly

42.9%
  2. Brave Heart

52.4%
  3. There won’t be any of his songs playing...

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    What poll!? >.<

Looks nice nonetheless, nice edit~

2. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    A voting poll!!
    It’s right there at the top??

(also, I’m not the creator of this vid)

3. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooooooh, that! XD

I forgot it was there... >.>

4. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    New episodes start again this weekend!!

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *gets hyped*

Westeller and Gandire Alea like this.
  6. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I just watched the 4th episode and.... yeah, it was bad. If you ignore the minor details, it’s passable, but it’s those details that separate a good episode from a lazy/bad one.

What stood out the most was the animation. Nothing really felt like it flowed. Instead, a lot of the sequences felt like a cut out of a picture being strung along a still back ground. It really destroyed my sense of immersion in the story. This started right at the start when those two Thunderbirdmon flew across the screen. Other notable places were when Snimon chased them and on the raft.

Next comes Snimon itself. Its role was to chase and attacked. The method, a relentless quick swings of its sickle arms. So, why the heck did it stop in front of Taichi when he held up a stick to it and engage in some sort of back and forth?? It could be argued that it wanted to play around, but its attitude did not suggest that. It’s attitude was more like, “Oh, the puny human has a weapon. Better mindlessly stop and see what happens next for no real reason.” Not only that, it shrunk in size to make it seem more like a close fight? Not only was that senseless, it destroyed any sense of suspense along with my sense of immersion, again.

Coelmon was another problem fight. Its introduction was pretty good. Circle around as a shadow in the water, build suspense, then jump out at them. It knocks Agumon off the raft and goes to eat him while he’s falling. Then the scene falls apart when Taichi leaps forward to help. Immediately after Agumon digivolves into Greymon, he some how teleported to being behind Coelmon?? The only explanation I can think of for this is that Taichi’s digivice called Greymon to his side so that Taichi could ride on his head.
    The fight that followed was all over the place too. First, they are standing one water. Sure, it can be argued that the river is shallower near the shore, but were they that close to the shore to begin with?? As far as was shown so far, there was no shore. Just a valley carved out between some mountains due to water erosion. Where that shore appeared from later in the episode is a complete mystery. Back to the fight, after that, Greymon is diving shown being under water swimming, and then back to standing in the river. Where were the part in between?? It honestly felt like they just wanted to show cool/impactful scenes without any of the proper build up to make them cook/impactful.

Then Snimon returns and steals Piyomon. Sora watches Snimon fly away. Afterwards, she somehow teleported onto Snimon’s leg. Then, Snimon doesn’t notice her, or at least care to do anything about her, until after she’s halfway up its body.
    Piyomon escapes, Snimon knocks her and Sora away, Piyomon digivolves into Birdramon and catches Sora with her leg. This part is okay, but the fight with Snimon, not so much. I can understand Sora moving from the top of Birdramon’s foot to the back of her ankle of screen. That makes sense due to the high speed fighting, which also looked like cut out pictures being strung along a still background. But when Birdramon uses Meteor Wing, Sora vanishes!

Those were the most noticeable problems for me. But, there were some nice references to the original series. Part of it came from Sora’s shopping, which was nothing more than a Deus Ex Machina, but still, I can accept that much. Taichi found a pair of binoculars, a major call back to season one and his mini telescope thing. Then, Sora and Taichi made a raft, also a call back to season one when they left file island. What makes me think the raft is a call back is that Izumi and Tentomon got swallowed by Whamon.

Ogremon’s dripping saliva animation was... gross, but still showed some character on his part. Hopefully that’s a sign of something good to come.

Overall, I grade this episode a D.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't notice the animation problems at all tbh, I guess I just didn't pay much attention to them! >.<

The two parts that stood out for me were how Sora was completely unfazed by suddenly appearing in the Digital World, and how Snimon simply stood still while Taichi hit him with the stick and stuff. And how the slash only cut the Stick away instead of chopping Taichi himself.
    ... Ah, and how easily Birdramon escaped from Snimon's jaw, that one also stood out.

That aside, I overall liked it, showing Sora bond with Piyomon a bit was sweet~
    And I also liked the fact that Greymon appeared again, like... Rather than getting only 1 champion at a time like we did in the original, they can digivolve again, and it works. I enjoyed that~

So... It wasn't a great episode and didn't have much worth talking about, but I enjoyed it nonetheless! >.<

8. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    The story itself was pretty good~
    I do wonder if that animation is something I'd notice as easily as a child though. Still, considering digimon was trending as 13(??) In the world yesterday, you'd think they would be more caring about it

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I didn't notice even now, so I certainly wouldn't notice as a child! xD

But well, I guess we just gotta accept that some episodes will have subpar animation and some will have great animation, not much we can do about it.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  10. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I watched episode 5, here are my thoughts~

First off, much better than last week with the animation. Although, I think part of that has to do with the fact that there was less movement this episode along with the back grounds not being as detailed. Koshiro’s whole being in the net was pretty bare. That said, were just still images when they were attacking or being knocked back by Kabuterimon.
    That brings me to the part of the evolution sequence. Kabuterimon and Agumon had amazing evolution scenes this episode. It makes me wonder if all the effort when into evolving them and the rest of the episode was, “do what you can.” My guess is because Kabuterimon is the signature digimon of this episode while Agumon is Taichi’s partner. Still, when I think back to Birdramon last week, there was no love for the digimon of love. Part of me is wondering if the poor animation last week might have been due to the staff just getting back into things after the CCP Virus break. Time will tell with the future episodes.
    Also, the fallen warriors coming back with new partners. I like the idea, but.... I can’t talk about it here. There is some more I want to say, but I’ll have to stop here.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fallen warriors? The six silhouette of wargreymon, rosemon etc?

Anyway...
    With meicoomon's digivolution, rasielmon, being there, I wish meiko and wallace can join takeru and hikari here. Don't know who should take the slashangemon, clavisangemon and ornismon's (am I right in my guess?) partner though if the other four is partnered.

12. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    While it is possible for Meiko to make an appearance due to that, I don’t think those other angel digimon will serve as anything more than just representatives of the light/good. From how they spoke, it sounded more they were the past and that Hope and light, Patamon and Tailmon, will be the only representatives of the holy digimon as part of the next generation.

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm... that may be so. One can be hopeful though.

Anyway, with the history being that, this means that they are the first gen of chosen children right now, aren't they? There's no first gen chosen like daigo and maki for now?

14. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, maybe. Those original holy digimon might have gained their power/influence thanks to other human children appearing in the digital world. It might have been then that it was discovered that human children are able to create miracles.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Why can't you talk more!? XD

And yeah, animation certainly improved a lot! I saw episode 4 again before seeing this one and... God, that one really had subpar animation.

And I'm really hyped for Devimon's return! Can't wait to see him participate again! \(^^)/

I wonder if he'll be defeated before or after Takeru and Hikari join the party... Would be interesting to see if they could do it this time without Hope and Light~

Oh and I agree with poor Birdramon getting the short end of the stick, no love for her in the Digivolution Sequences... T.T
    I doubt they'll introduce any more children... 16 characters is already a bit too much to handle in a single series, you don't wanna increase that by putting other cameos and stuff.

The other holy digimons most likely had no partners to begin with.

16. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    Because that will bleed to my fanfic~

The digimon partners don’t really count as full characters in my opinion. More like a .5 of a character to either crash against or support their partner’s personality.

17. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    16? Taichi, Yamato, Sora, Mimi, Jyou, Koushirou, Takeru, Hikari is already confirmed. Who else?

Anyway,
    gatomon -> angewomon -> ophanimon (hikari)
    patamon -> angemon -> holyangemon -> seraphimon (takeru)
    hawkmon -> aquilamon -> silphymon -> valdurmon (miyako)
    armadimon -> ankylomon -> shakkoumon -> slashangemon (iori)
    meicoomon -> meicrackmon -> rasielmon (meiko)
    lopmon -> wendigomon -> antylamon -> cherubimon (wallace)

we just need someone to take the other slot, right?

.. likes this.
  18. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe Ali-chan means their partners when she referred to the other eight

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    XD
    They seem to be trying to develop them more in this series! \(^^)/

Though yeah, the human characters usually get the spotlight over the digimon.
    8 humans and 8 digimon! ^^)/

20. ..

.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mimi episode tomorrow!

Who is the one you root for in your childhood? Mine's takeru.