Dilemma Of a Beginner on what camera to use.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Sheri_Yui_Chan, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Sheri_Yui_Chan

Sheri_Yui_Chan Fighting my final semester battles ⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    Subject :- Looking for some recommendations on what type camera will be best for shooting cooking videos [for youtube channel] and for taking photographs to post on my blog and social media accounts .I hope the cameras,camcorder or camera phones to have excellent still and video features also should be able to be paired up with a good microphone.

So I am a beginner at both Photography and video shooting since I am an amateur I will be buying second hand goods but I just want to know what brands and what kind of lenses should I be looking out for when I am buying it.

Thanks in advance to tech gurus for any advice or recommendations.

@xiazixin Can you please recommend me some if you know about it ?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I know, most youtuber use "GoPro".

Sheri_Yui_Chan likes this.
  3. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Sheri_Yui_Chan
    You you need streaming like live stream?
    And what is your budget?
    Do you have a existing stabilizers or stands (they are called gimbal), if you do what is the weight limits.
    Do you need raw output?

4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k. If you need professional equipment with raw format. With a camera rabbit cage for God's sake please use one and external batteries and additional lens, it should cost about 3k usd with other accessories.
    Raw is the easiest to edit. With 4K you can trim out the parts you don't want and downscale it to 1080p with little quility lost.

Lastly, please use a camera rabbit cage.

5. Sheri_Yui_Chan

Reading List:
    Link
    @xiazixin Thank you for your suggestion I am not streaming live and I have decided not to start a you tube channel until my blog develops good traffic and I am planning videos for my blog in wordpress , Instagram , facebook and twitter.
    Total budget for the equipment's needed that is including camera, microphone ,lighting equipment's ,memory cards ,dollicas or tripods and sliding gears it will be 1361 dollars.

6. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite a tight budget, anyway there is no point sinking more money in to camera as it don't increase the quality by that much.

Mirrorless:
    • Canon EOS M50.
    • Fuji films xt200.
    • Sony alpha 6000L aps-c so called A6000 (a bit old, only 1080p)
      There is so many newer version of it A6100, A6400, A6600 and so on, newer model gets full 4k flips screen. youtube review
    For EOS M50, XT200 and A6100 it's fine to buy used if it's alot cheaper as they are generally newer cameras models but original A6000 is good if it's priced about 200 usd. Though I want to recommend full frames sensors, but with your current budgets it's unreasonable.

For microphone, I'm not really good with 3.5mm headphones as I mostly use XLR.
    Relacart CR1 and COMICA VM10II have been recommended by some of my friends who do vlogs.

Edit: I do have plenty to recommend but a audio adapter like xlr-k3m xlr adaptor kit cost 600 or 700 usd. And there isn't much improvement in audio quality as long as it's youtube videos audio format and your not doing music videos.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    lighting equipment's ,memory cards ,dollicas or tripods and sliding gears.

Those will be more of a preference.
    For lightings, I recommend lighing box for images. As cheaper Gear and things won't affect quility that much but cause frustrations. Like me, I use a 200 usd microphone but with a 100 usd highend microphone stand. [​IMG]
    An example of a lighing box. If you need to show your face, a cheap beauty dish, honeycomb grid, soft box and all the other nonsense base on your budgets. It's hard for one to recommend one.

Memories card. Would you believe me if I said I use sandisk extreme pro for my MP3 player?
    [​IMG]
    (the hm-603 that I said on one of my previous threads.)
    I know that's over killed. But how can you resist the extreme pro though the price sucks. But lookout for the specifications. You don't have to buy the expensive sandisk extreme pro, but please buy it from some renowned brand like kingston and lexar.
    note: you don't need to spent a fortune on 300MB/s if your not doing raw video shooting.
    tb_image_share_1602071082193.jpg

8. Sheri_Yui_Chan

Reading List:
    Link
    @xiazixin I can change my budget but you see but since I am an amateur I don't want to waste all my money until I learn how to use it properly but thanks for the recommendations.

9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Its fine, a better camera won't increase the quality of video and photos by a lot also.

10. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Tripods and rails. Really, recommend a tripod and rails is like recommended the utensils used to eat your food instead of food it self.
    I have used multiple tripods and stands, but I don't really take note of them and the brand and other things. Though with you buying a Mirrorless any tripods should be fines as long as you don't fit a super heavy lens (I don't even think Mirrorless have lens that heavy.)
    But be careful not to buy those mobile phone tripods.

As for rails, I do experience those when I visited one of TV shootings. Though I'm not sure if you need one of those. Though I think you mean a Motorized Gimbal that can follow the camera onto you. But those things begin at 500 usd or so, it's a tiny bit cheaper in China.

For motorized gimbal everyone of them have some thing good and some thing bad about them. None of the companies seems to be able to made the perfect ones. I don't have the experience using them so it's hard for me recommend any. Though some of again my friends owned aircross2 though they also don't recommend anything. When I ask why aircross2? He said RGB

Though when you move the camera left and right, it would have a little issue if the object looks different in different angles or sides.

Basically you track the objects you want to shoot. Instead of moving the objects, you move the gimbal with you camera instead.