Discussion Discrimination between MC and non-MC

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Demintika, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently notice this discrimination when I read a novel from a Villain perspective.
    People tend to support the character labeled "MC" without looking at other characters from different perspectives. Even if we have "Villain perspective" with a perfect reason for why s/he did bad thing; they still expect an ending where MC win and Villain lose/convert to good.
    Meanwhile with Anti-hero / Villain / Extreme Bad MC, they still support the MC. (*cough* Overlord *cough*)
    People have their preference, I can't complain. However...

The problem arises when the MC lost when s/he did inhumane/bad thing.
    Example: That MC wanted to destroy the world. The Heroes / Armies / Adventurers / etc... stopped the MC. The story continue, yet people stop reading. They hate the Heroes for being good, hate the MC for being weak, etc... and finally hate the entire novel.

In a novel, the readers are perfect judges to see who is wrong and who is right, based on the evidences the author gave. Yet people still favor the MC, because they have already immersed themselves in the MC.
    Human's way of thinking: You can't notice you are wrong when you are doing wrong; but other people can. Only later would you realize you was wrong.

Be a smart reader, look at a problem from different perspectives. It would also help you in real life.

P/s: This is going to be my speech in my workplace's Presentation Contest.

2. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit; I cant seem to be able to read about mcs being the villains if I cant empathize, going against authority, killing people, destroying common sense, if they are things that have no real reason except being an asshole, I would never read/like the Mc.

Reading about how a dude likes to torture people, bleh, reading about how a dude likes to torture people but represes his feelings and goes torture only villains, then its fine by me.

Or if someone killed his family and goes overboard with his vengeance, if he starts to grow as a character(realizing truths, starting to look out and see people) then I would read it still.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Nyarlathotep and earlkuma like this.
  4. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fictions not as enjoyable when you dont identify or immerse yourself, reading isnt a history class mate

WearyRain likes this.
  5. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    literally what you wrote....
    *cough 2:29

LazyLuong and Astaroth like this.
  6. BlinkOfAEye

BlinkOfAEye Chair C

Reading List:
    Link
    Since readers connect more with the MC (Duh we are reading it from their perspective) they are more prone to attribution errors. It's a simple human thing.
    People would more likely lean with the "good" if it was written from a 3rd person omniscient. But those novels are rare and good ones are even rarer.

Demintika likes this.
  7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    "Can we sip our coffee yet?" - your co-worker in the near future :coffee:

fireclaws, Mikey and Demintika like this.
  8. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    History is written by the winner. So it's the opposite thing from what I said.

I've seen this video at least 5 times.

"That's very human of you." - a dragon.

9. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    The only villian that I understood was zhu Yan. I feel that everyone gave him too much shit when all he wanted was a martial talented bride. He never attacked the girl just tried to court her. He's not a bad personality just slightly overbearing but every character is like that

Demintika likes this.
  10. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason? Self insert. Notice why people love netori but despise netorare when in the 3rd prespective, both are the same thing?... yeah. Theres only a handfull of people thats actually empathic towards others. They view the world with their own glasses, and relate only to themself.

kainee, Shance and Astaroth like this.
  11. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    He tried to rape her after he lost to LM.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  12. mmsupreme

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also an example in martial peak where the first bad guy in the story simply goes to friends after he takes out the arrogance

13. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more like he lost himself in the madness of being a failure... it was a character error that made him more real. No matter what, he was at least stopped from being a rapist, unlike ACTUAL RAPING MAIN CHARACTERS that people support.

Now, if you still want to talk about Martial World, compare him to the people using the Divine Acacia cultivation method...

Lazybum0 and Demintika like this.
  14. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    well in most stories, the antagonist/bad people always do bad thing yeah? and because in the flow of the story all whom we ever exposed to and started to love is the characters on the MC side, and we definitely don't want them to get hurt by the bad people. hence, the bad people must never win. in short, we want to read something that makes our conscience feels good.
    in overlord case, i'm 100% behind albedo...or i want to, really really want to.

15. mmsupreme

Reading List:
    Link
    He was literally disowned and his last option is to wager his life with lm. He literally despised himself ans never appears in front of her again. He was a martial talent and saw that a guy who he could cripple 2 months ago become his nightmare and all because of that girl

16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, there's one case that's different. If the author first tells you that the MC has killed millions of people in his past life 50% of the readers will automatically hate the MC just from that.

Then if there's ever any kind of scene with rape another 25% will also hate the novel by default.

But yes, what you're saying does work as a rule of thumb.

Demintika likes this.
  17. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I am willing to support an MC who tries to be a decent, good or better person.
    I am willing to support an MC who does horrible things to protect himself, good people, or even just the people he cares about.
    I am not willing to support an MC who does horrible things for selfish reasons or personal gain. Every time the MC does so I lose interest in the story. On the other hand every time an antagonist acts in an honorable manner I like the story even more. Take TTNH, Diwu is easily my favourite antagonist at the moment.

18. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    50% is too many. I'm sure more than 50% of novel readers like "badass MC", and killing millions is way more badass than a lot of badass-est MC. And that 25%, you underestimate the power of people's fetish.

I'm not talking about any particular novel, but what do you think about a MC who tried to destroy the world to save his loved ones (Of course his loved ones and/or he live after that)?

Astaroth likes this.
  19. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    you're saying to change perspectives, but from my point of view your whole premise lacks perspective and comes off very narrow minded and dismissive of others. have you considered changing your perspective. perhaps you could also benefit from a different viewpoint

20. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope I never get MC'd

SnowTime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.