Discussion Discrimination between MC and non-MC

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Demintika, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    You'll have to try another way. I personally don't really have any issue making that decision. There are if statements galore but once I get through those there is no hesitation. (If I care about the one, If someone really young is on ones side, if someone I care about is one each track, if I know the five or the one are criminals, politicians, or defense lawyers. Criminals lives I value less than innocents or just normal citizens, Politicians should serve the people so it should be what they would choose and those that don't can be considered criminals, and defense lawyers spend their careers looking for loopholes so getting out of a bit of rope should be easy.) But in a case of complete strangers who are all similar in age and just normal people one person is going to die.

Ideally though I'd be able to flip the switch to the one person and have time to pull that one of off the track. Or the trolly would be empty and I could attempt to derail it.

2. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    of course there is discrimination between the MC and the non-MC because the story is told and created for the MC. The story is set up so the MC can have a greater foundation in the readers mind. We know how the MC started, what he has been through, and what he experienced yet when we meet non-MC they don't have as much info as the MC. Also as the main controller of the story, the author can just make whatever reason to justify the MC even if what he did is despicable. As the readers only thing we can do is sit back and watch the show as long as it interest us.

3. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, and the problem lies when readers defend or make excuses for mc when he do terrible things like mass murder, rape, torture, theft, etc. and attack or belittle those who criticize the mc or the novel. On the other hand, readers tend to hate mc and label him weak, naive or stupid because of reasons like losing/ running away from a fight. not getting a girl/ ntr'ed, being fooled or etc. etc. and hate novel that mc is facing hardships that they can't overcome like for example the gate of good fortune that is mentioned here.

Demintika likes this.
  4. Dace

Dace Quack!

Reading List:
    Link
    what the fuck?

5. zarex97

zarex97 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, at the beggining I was like that, then I learned to be a critic reader.

I "connect" with those I evaluate worthy of it.

I once read a story where the MC failed at the end and was killed, the antogonist won and that was a mental bitchslap (plot twist), and the villain felt a void (like if the joker killed Batman) and the started to raise the MC descendant...
    Well, that was amazing...

Returning to the subject, I think you raised a very interesting point,it something that happens very naturally and it is kinda funny (at least for me, maybe because I imagine something like the "hypocrite gene")

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Demintika likes this.
  6. DrkStrkr

DrkStrkr Renowned apostle of Nekomimi

Reading List:
    Link
    I love baccano because of these, every character have their own set of values and perspective like Huey who will not kill or harm the innocent but ruthless in those he deemed as test subjects, The smile junkie Elmer who wants to make every body smile even if means to betray or lie to that person, Vino (Claire Stanfield or Rail traicer or Felix Walken) who deems every body as a part of his world which he owns and Firo who have a compassionate heart but can kill anyone who stands in his family's ways. and there is Lad Russo who kills anyone who thinks they cant be killed just to show them the harsh reality.

zarex97 and Lazybum0 like this.
  7. keysella12

keysella12 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its just a novel if u like the mc just read it if u dont like the mc is up to you to read it or not
    about the mc bad good or selfish or villain mc... i think is up to the writer how he want to develop the story
    and what we can do just enjoy it...

8. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't really call it being a social justice warrior over perception of villians of a novel. Which is better to you a cookie cutter villian whose only goal is to make the mc stronger and be forgotten and hated or a villian to be the antithesis of the mc making him reveal his flaws and actually having a story.

9. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the review of The Gate of Good Fortune and totally agree with you.
    "The MC face hardship after hardship to become the strongest? NO, I want the MC to be strongest amongst everyone around him as he get stronger."
    They read novel for instant-noodle, not slow-but-interesting in the long term.

10. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    If you put it like that then it would be difficult... at first we were talking about MC.. I mean any reader would think about MC first supporting characters later.. weather or not MC is just a cookie cutter villain or an amazingly made one it will all depend on the author.. we as readers are allowed to hate them because they are evil scum of the earth.. heck we are even allowed to throw the book out the window.. but then again we are allowed to love them too .. so regarding why my first post in reply to original thread maker was like that... i ment --> we cant call people's prefrences as discriminating. How the author catches our attention is all up to him/her.
    Fact : there are two kinds of author, 1. Write what they like, cookie cutter villain and all. 2. Write what they think people like.

Witch do you prefer?

11. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Write whatever they want it's their own creation so why do they need to listen to us and we the readers have our own decision of reading a cookie cutter novel and a unique one. Alot of people read atg and TMW but one gets a lot more hate than the other and there are reasons

12. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats my point... but we cant call it descrimination... its readers prefrence

13. BlinkOfAEye

BlinkOfAEye Chair C

Reading List:
    Link
    1. MGA. The girl was literally forced into that relationship in every way possible and is going to be used for the specific purpose of being having sex with for her power then thrown away. He didn't even know she was engaged before he loved her.
    2. Yun Che- The girl was literally planning to kill herself after the wedding and the only reason she even agreed to in the first place was to get medicine for her father (Who was poisoned by the sect to begin with)
    3. Zhu Yan- He constantly wanted to shame the MC and even tried to get him arrested. Lin Ming did not go out of his way to destroy the relationship he did that himself with the 10th Prince's idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.