Discussion Discrimination

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fossil, May 30, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooookay, so let me first take a step back saying I don't want to start a large debate about discrimination since that's it's own giant mess. I just don't know what else to title this thread.

So for the past nine weeks I've been in a human relations class and we were tasked to pick something meaningful to ourselves. I picked what I call "medical discrimination," or being discriminated for having a medical condition.

I'm here to collect a bit of data for that, and I thought it might be fun to have people talk about it too. Please state in your post if you don't want me quoting your post in my paper, since I'll probably do that a few times with people.

Anyway, here's the questions.

1. Do you feel like you would judge someone's accomplishments differently if they have a medical disability?
    2. What if you could barely even tell there was a disability until they told you?
    3. Do you judge people based on their visible abilities?
    4. Would you think someone is more impressive for doing something if they have a medical disability?
    5. Do you think everyone with a disability needs an IEP, 504, or the equivalent? Or, in other words, do you think they need to be treated specially in regards to school and work?
    6. Do you think someone with a disability can perform your current workload?

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully I'm not overstepping any boundaries by posting this?

Kazuel_Hellscythe and Bad Storm like this.
  2. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I'd see them as more impressive if their disability would be a hindrance or obstacle to their success.
    2. As above, even if I couldn't see it, I'd still feel the same. But it doesn't seem more impressive to me if the disability has nothing to do with what they did.
    3. I'd probably accommodate for them to help ease any possible burden. As I would with anyone not as healthy as me.
    4. See #1
    5. Only if the disability puts them at a major disadvantage in those areas.
    6. Yes. My workload is very, very, light.

Fossil and Finalbeta like this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Possibly, hard to tell without actually experiencing it, but I believe I'd praise pretty much anything they did right if they had a disability getting in their way...

On the other hand, I try to do that to most people, since I think positive encouragement is much better than negative... >.>

So... Not sure, might end up the same or I might be biased towards them.
    Then I'd probably be surprised and then treat them normally~
    I think it's normal to judge anyone and everyone based on what we can see of them at first glance? This can change as we interact with the person, but I think it's only natural to judge someone at first based on what they look like.
    I'd probably think their feat is more impressive... Them though? Not really.

Everyone has tons of troubles on their heads and lots of trouble to deal with... Theirs is just a medical condition on top of the usual problems everyone has... Having one more problem than the rest doesn't make you any more impressive IMO.
    Nah, each person is different and deals with their problems in different ways. If the person is clearly showing a necessity of some sort of special treatment, then it's fine to treat them differently... Otherwise, I'd prefer if they were treated the same.
    Sure, working needs mainly dedication and being able to follow a schedule, it's a lot harder than it sounds, but I think anyone can do it if they try~

Fossil likes this.
  4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yeah, I think biases are ingrained to us. So whether or not you noticed, you might judge their merits differently.
    2. The lack of knowledge, especially if it's not noticeable, will make people judge normally, I think. Let's said you're clinically depressed but still function normally, it would amount to a different reaction than those who are obviously depressed.
    3. Nope. Or I hope not. So many people are good at flaunting all their good side but after some time you might notice these little flaws just hidden beneath the surface. Plus, I personally know that most visible accomplishments aren't as good as it seemed.
    4. Yeah. Because it's a disability. It hinders them in some way to function and do what most people would find very easy. So the fact they achieved it through efforts and whatever their condition is makes it more noteworthy imo.
    5. Not everyone, I think. Some might not need or want it at all. So in some cases, it's better to throw them to the cliff called society and let them live among sharks. You know, like spartan training.
    6. I think so? I'm not that busy nor my studies are that hard. Just engineering...

Fossil likes this.
  5. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. No. I stopped being impressed by people.
    2. I don't know, you tell me. What kind of transformer should I become.
    3. I don't even judge people based on their looks. Why should I "judge" other people?
    4. No.
    5. That's not for me to decide. Instead reseaching and testing that stuff is better.
    6. I don't think anything. If someone told he/she can do it, then why not. But sometimes talking is cheap. This is touches all people.

Fossil likes this.
  6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes. Anyone can cut down timber, but if you can cut down timber while also having only one arm and one of your legs are lame, you are quite awesome.
    2. If there is no disability but later Ai-chan found out there is a disability, Ai-chan will just say all the best. But if the person himself brags about it, then Ai-chan would tell him to get out of Ai-chan's face.
    3. Ai-chan doesn't know what visible abilities mean. If you want to say does Ai-chan judge muscled men differently from a thin man, no Ai-chan doesn't do that.
    4. Yes, but that depends pretty much on what they have achieved. Some achievements are not worth the hype even when it's done by people with medical disability.
    5. Special care is necessary for them in regards to school and work. For example, if a person is in a wheelchair and there's only a staircase for him to reach the office, then he certainly won't be able to go to work. A kid with severe case of ADHD may not be able to achieve much in a normal class and require specialized class where their illnesses are taken into consideration. People with disability are not rejects, but they do need some special amenities to function.
    6. Yes, Ai-chan is sure that somewhere in a world, there's a demand for models without legs or arms.

Fossil, AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you feel like you would judge someone's accomplishments differently if they have a medical disability?
    1. Maybe, maybe not, I think I would feel a little bit jealous if anything(I mean if they did accomplish something that I couldn't I should feel a bit jealous, no? that would be the normal human reaction, right?)
    What if you could barely even tell there was a disability until they told you?
    2. Ok I guess, does that mean they trust me enough to tell me?
    Do you judge people based on their visible abilities?
    3. As long as they aren't rude or bad to me in any way, why would I have any problem with anyone?
    Would you think someone is more impressive for doing something if they have a medical disability?
    4. Depends, I mean if someone accomplish something amazing then sure they are impressive
    Do you think everyone with a disability needs an IEP, 504, or the equivalent? Or, in other words, do you think they need to be
    treated specially in regards to school and work?

5. If they want a special treatment then sure let them have it, if they don't then no need to, if they are old enough to chose then let them do what they want to do whatever their disability is, as long as their decision doesn't pose a problem to their health
    Do you think someone with a disability can perform your current workload?
    6. I don't know, if they are more motivated and better at it then sure they can, true I am a bit lazy as a person but I won't relinquish my postion in anything to anyone that easy

Fossil likes this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be the jerk and point to rule #11: No homework help threads

PS There is most definitely medical discrimination as doctors often choose to euthanize animals vs treat them compared to humans...

9. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure that this is considered homework help... It's just some data collection.

10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It was specifically said that it was for homework, I would remove the portion about it being for class and just say "I had a debate with my friends and want opinions from others", then it wouldn't be homework help... it's a grey line that makes all the difference.

Westeller likes this.
  11. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that homework help would be more like: "Help I can't figure out this Calculus problem. How do I solve it?" rather than asking for opinions.

12. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    So if I were to collect opinions on answers to a calculus problem? An answer to a question is an opinion in nature really, even if everyone shares said opinion.

1 + 1 = 2 is an opinion, just as 1 + 1 = 11 is an opinion and 1 + 1 = 10 is an opinion. All are correct answers in their own context

13. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Nani? Well, whatever. I don't really care, and I don't want to derail this thread any more than I already have. Sorry @Fossil

Fossil likes this.
  14. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I would be more impressed if someone achieved something big while having disabilities.
    2. I wouldn't mind unless it is something like AIDS, Herpes, or shit taste in anime which means I will avoid you like a plague.
    3. I wouldn't mind unless he/she's an asshole.
    4. See number 1.
    5. I would recommended them to do it but if they feel that they don't need it(ex.they don't want you to pity them,etc.) I would respect their choice.
    6. Unless it is a disability that will affect their work I think they would do just fine, or even if it is, if they work hard they might surpass mine.

Fossil likes this.
  15. Haxagen

Haxagen Fallen's|Addicted to Gacha

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Probably not, in fact it might become even more impressive to me.
    2. Yes.
    3. Can't be helped, I'm human after all. Psychologically speaking, the urge to distance oneself with the imperfect is part of human nature.
    4. Refer to 1.
    5. Basic help should be provided, but the litigant's wishes should always be respected first. Basically, they should be cared for, not pitied.
    6. Success is 90% work, 10% luck, 5% brains.

Fossil likes this.
  16. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Yes i would see them in an even better light than before to complete a good work even with a disability and feel that their potential is fantastic
    2. Same as 1
    3. Nope i check their previous results at least before judging them
    4. Yes and no depending on the disability but i incline more towards yes because they can do better work then idiots who treat them poorly and overcome their social fears
    5. Hmmm no
    6. Yes. I am a student right now and even with any type of disability they can handle it

17. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, simple put those who have disability mean have disadvantage to certain degree~ despite this and that thing accomplishment by disadvantage is quite remarkable feat
    praise once then done
    depend on what case/situation, on general nope
    generally yes, see point 1
    only on some occasion such as accessibility toward hmm tools? no hmm the correct word is necessity I guess? thing which make work or live easier cuz people with disability need special treatment depend on their disability on first place~ as for other thing nope~

for education
    on my country there school dedicated toward people with disability which cover people with
    deaf, blind, mute and intelligent problem(idk what correct term it called)
    people with those disability really need special thing and teacher with special qualification and or ability to learn so quite logical such school exist
    one of my cousin only have 4 fingers on her hands and she graduated from normal high school~ she can cook, laundry(using her hands) and other house chore so people around treat her same as normal person
    hmm yes it just typing thing which told by da boss

Fossil likes this.
  18. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Disabilities should never be groundwork for preconception, that's my opinion

Fossil likes this.
  19. TakenAway

TakenAway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Do you feel like you would judge someone's accomplishments differently if they have a medical disability?
    Yes: I'd be slightly impressed for a while. It's like completing a game, with an extra penalty on top of the current difficulty.

2. What if you could barely even tell there was a disability until they told you?
    It wouldn't change much of my opinion on their achievement(s), other than an letting out a damn at the revelation of their disability.

What do you mean by visible abilities? Are you referring to a person's capability to perform various physical exercise?

If so, then no. I don't care if you can only do 5 push ups or you're as fit as a scarecrow.

4. Would you think someone is more impressive for doing something if they have a medical disability?
    Yes. See my answer to number 1.

5. Do you think everyone with a disability needs an IEP, 504, or the equivalent? Or, in other words, do you think they need to be treated specially in regards to school and work?

Yes, I believe they should be eligible to some assistance in regards to academics and work.
    The workforce is a cold place though. It only cares whether you'll provide enough money to the company..

Yes and No.

The problem varies depending on the disabilities and the task(s) at hand..
    It will depend on the category and degree of their disabilities.
    In general, mild disabilities should be able to perform like an average person.

In my case, mobility disabilities shouldn't have too much of an impact in my line of work.
    Those who either suffers functional or communication disabilities (hearing, speaking) would certainly struggle in the workplace.

Fossil likes this.
  20. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    well...i will certainly impress if they can accomplish more
    but i won't judge if they can't do more, i mean it IS disability for a reason...if they are willing to try and learn it'll be a plus from me

it's not my fault if i'm insensitive!!!
    the more if they wanna hide it...
    it's not like i walked into a rehab center for disability every time and day

i won't know if no one told me tbh
    i once prepare to shake hand with someone who only has left hand cause i didn't notice his lack of hand in his long sleeve clothes orz

no...

no way...i mean, yeah they can accomplish something more or the same as non-disability people
    but it is not a need to have a medical disability to be impressive...

of course a~~
    if the disability hinder them in doing everyday activities then something must be done...the changes might not be much but at least lighten the burden
    i never have disability coworker or fellow classmates, even if there was, it was only a minor disability which didn't hinder them of their everyday activities so i can't say much about this

blind and colorblind people won't be
    i'm a designer...so i only need to sit and using computer LOLOLOL
    but still
    blindness if the limit
    colorblind has a special spectacles to help now (altho a bit rare but there is)
    i'm not sure about hands...but of course the hands must be working and not in paralysis state

i don't know much about mental disability that won't be suitable for my workload

not to disrespect but even a 'mental' mental patient can do my job...but not the work tho (like talking to client and do functional results)
    basically they can design but not useful design :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:
    it is almost a NEET job LOLOLOLOL

Fossil and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.