Discussion Discussing the philosophy of Death Note

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by The Ram, Mar 3, 2018.

1. The Ram

The Ram [Anxiety Sheep]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I'm opening the pandoras chest again. I highly suggest watching the video before commenting

Basically, I've rewatched the Wisecrack video on the philosophy of justice in DN again, and thought, What would I do in that situation. What IS justice to me.
    As the video proposes, obviously theres no clear cut right/wrong in Death Note, both ideologies of Kira and L have their own......so called merits BUT obviously the real answer to what is right is different.

So I ask you this: What IS right, what would you do differently? What do you propose would be the MOST just way of going about this? How would you merge both their ideologies into something better? How do you synthesize these two conflicting ideologies?

Honestly I don't think there is a true JUST way, being the hypocritical asshole that I am, I agree with both Kira and L's justice, and that's exactly what the show wants.

*edit* I also suggest wisecrack's video on the philosophy of FMA: Brotherhood

2. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Justice is placing punishment for perceived wrongs in the hands of one you consider a higher authority.

The Ram likes this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the creators obsession with justice anyway?
    It is pursuit of equality. But equality=same=average. Truly average things are mere exceptions that actually support the fact of real circumstances being different and thus a rule.

Inequality is caused by differences inherent and acquired and it is merely the human drive to find content that births a concept like justice. Justice itself however is a goal made in such a fashion as to be unreachable. Much like perfection. Is perfection a state of completeness or a goal that can never be fulfilled only chased after?

These thoughts are just a product of seeing so many fictions try to define justice and frame it into an explainable definition yet remaining baffled how could someone care about it out of curiosity instead of envy or some need to control. Because in the end they are trying to come to terms with the fact that all we know changes but refuse to look into the face of something so vast.

Easiest to disregard such notions if not bothered. Correct way of dealing with it however is not an answer that can be given without being subjective because it is something only working on an individual basis and for goals and restrictions placed by the person thinking up the answer.

To conclude this I don't really care and neither have I watched the video.

The Ram likes this.
  4. The Ram

The Ram [Anxiety Sheep]

Reading List:
    Link
    And what would you consider a higher authority? How would you make everyone accept it? If you just claim that the court is a higher authority on the subject of Justice then what do you think of corruption? how would you think of getting rid of it?

I know that the ridding of corruption is quite honestly fantasy, how would you try to improve upon the current system? For example our current system is pretty much based on appearances, even if a man is innocent the media can absolutely villify a person.

If we had a single god like Kira for example then we'd need the position to be challengeable, for no system is infallible

You bring up a valid point, for a true justice to exist it needs to be subjective, however no human is truly subjective, so what should we do to avoid that? Bring AI into it? Limited-AI? For one, True AI would for example also be fallible, it can have it's own opinions and thoughts, thus no longer being subjective, yet Limited-AI would for example most likely dismiss the thought of emotions and be unfeeling.

How about this, question, which would you prefer, our current system or something more similar to the ancient times where thieves got their armos cut off, ala "an eye for an eye" kind of philosophy?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
  5. xaion

xaion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a sistem nothing real, as of today there are more ppl in jail whit wrong accusation then not

6. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whatever suits me most at the moment of need. By nature I am not disposed towards justice. Just what I want and how to get it. That is all I care for.

My first comment last line is thus the best answer I can give you regarding justice.

7. The Ram

The Ram [Anxiety Sheep]

Reading List:
    Link
    I can respect that, the point of this thread isn't to find the one true truth whatever that may be, the point is to discuss our different thoughts. While honestly I feel slightly weird about the first part of this comment which is "Whatever suits me most at the moment of need" the realist in me knows that this is something that is still quite unavoidable, the part of me that wants true justice feels that this is wrong.

But as I said I know that if push comes to shove, I'd rather go against justice if it profits me. I'm repulsed by it but I know that I'm simply being hypocritical

8. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    The point of a justice system is to assist in pacifying a populace. It's less about justice and more about control. The word justice is little more than a propaganda term. It's kinda like the people's republic of china. The throw in a term making it sound like the government is under the control of the populace rather than the populace being hard core dominated by the government. Basically if it's done by someone with government given authority it's justice otherwise it's vigilantism or revenge. I'm tired and getting a little incoherent. Goodnight.

The Ram likes this.