Spoiler Discussion in Spoiler Threads

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Westeller, Oct 9, 2020.

1. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You post seem to have already been moved, but you have got it wrong.
    The problem is that to many people do not understand that spoiler threads ARE discussion threads, just like every other thread on a message board. .
    On novel updated Spoiler threads are for more then just a summarized list of spoilers, they are listing, reacting and discussion all untranslated parts of the stories.

Creolenerd and AliceShiki like this.
  2. Dofu

Dofu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be nice to have a discussion flag similar to that of the spoiler flag already implemented in the system. If the box color was changed, it would stand out enough for the users wanting to avoid such content.

Kumoshiro likes this.
  3. Kumoshiro

Kumoshiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The forum uses a discontinued XenForo technology that makes impossible to make that kind of changes (or something like that). It would be easier to state a rule making all the discusion related content go into a spoiler tag and leave spoiler content out of spoiler tag.

Dofu likes this.
  4. poyui

poyui Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why these same people keep looking into stories that they know they will not like.
    Legit see the same people posting the same comments on every thread about a ML that isn't perfect.

5. millieeee

millieeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreee if you don't like it just ignoreeee ganurn

6. Lemontree__

Lemontree__ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think everyone has the right to post their own opinion on any literary piece. If you don’t want to know people opinions you can just… you know… not read it. It is as simple as that. And they didn’t do anything wrong voicing their opinion about this novel. As long as they do not harass and bother the author.

7. SoShy

SoShy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe because people didn't start reading after knowing all the spoilers ahead? They read until the point where author disappoints them with obvious ridiculous cliche plot and vent their frustration in here.
    Honestly this behaviour isn't that hard to deduce if you weren't venting at others disliking the story you like as well though. Spoiler thread exists for people to talk about spoilers, and mods did say discussion about spoilers are allowed in spoiler thread.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  8. poyui

poyui Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, "They read until the point where author disappoints them with obvious ridiculous cliche plot and vent their frustration in here.". That is my point, they didn't read. At most they read the summary from the only guy that posted spoilers and you somehow are telling me that they would know if this story is cliched or not?

Second, while I doubt that this thread will be even a blip in the grand schemes of things about this novel, denying that it also has some effect on the general opinion of the western fanbase is also naive. Someone comes in here and wants to know if this novel is worth keeping an eye out for and finds people shitting on it constantly because they think the ML didn't 'repent' enough. Even if they know that they shouldn't believe it, it will still influence then and from there, any and all spoilers that they read will have a negative bias that might make them uninterested in a story that they might have liked otherwise.
    Is this a minor gripe? Yes, but a gripe nonetheless. Every thread about a novel where the ML has wronged the MC has the same 5 to 6 pages of people shitting on it with the same comments, including some of the novels I would consider having the best writing that I have seen here. And if I either didn't ignore those opinions or didn't catch it later when the general opinion changed, I might have not read what became one of my favorite novels.

This novel could be that, or it couldn't. I don't know that, but neither do they.

9. Jenny43627121

Jenny43627121 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when the spoiler thread is filled with necessary opinions that no one asked covering spoilers in a thread where there are barely 2 or 3 spoilers, no one cares if you are going to drop it, what you think about any character, how would you have liked that out, what trope you hate, make your discussion thread somewhere else. People come here for spoilers, not your thoughts

10. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler discussions are allowed and let people voice their opinions about a novel or comics, while the rants like yours don’t bring anything to the thread except for the bad mood. Everyone who has subscribed to watch this thread got pinged about a new message just to read how annoyed you are about all of us which is totally an off-topic on top of being not very nice to read in general.

11. SweetBrownBabydoll

SweetBrownBabydoll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I literally made an account just so I can write this. This is supposed to be a spoiler page but all I'm reading is a bunch of assumptions and theories, create a different page for that I would like to know about spoilers

Kumoshiro likes this.
  12. Akiara

Akiara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't like it, don't follow the thread and wait; if you return to the thread after a time, there will very certainly be spoilers. People are voicing their thoughts, and some of them are correct; just because it's a spoiler thread doesn't mean it's all spoilers; it only contains spoilers on occasion; otherwise, the thread is largely used for discussion.

13. SweetBrownBabydoll

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't like what I have to wrote don't reply back to me with stupid crap that makes no sense when it literally says f****** spoiler. A discussion and spoilers are two different freaking things

14. IAmInLoveWithMarius

IAmInLoveWithMarius Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to calm down :blobconfused:

Fostofina and Rin.rinaaa like this.
  15. SweetBrownBabydoll

Reading List:
    Link
    And stupid people with nothing constructive to say need to stop replying to me, seriously.

16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then, here. Let me be constructive:

Don't post off topic in spoiler threads. If you have opinions about discussion in spoiler threads, they belong here. In the stickied thread helpfully titled 'Discussion in Spoiler Threads'. As such, I've moved this chain of posts to its proper place.

By all means, continue.

Though I do hope in the future your opinions are more constructive than "ya'll stupid". :blobunsure:

17. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a discussion forum, EVERY thread here is a discussion, EVERY SINGLE THREAD, well every thread the general user base is allowed to post in. The Spoiler section is for posting and DSISCUSSING spoilers. That discussion includes assumptions and guesses as fans speculate. It is not for someone to post spoilers and not one gets to react to them as you seem to think.

Also, not matching your personal beliefs on the matter is no where near the same as stupid, Especially when your "argument" is based on massively flawed logic.

@Akiara was listing the facts of nature of the forum that your omitted in making the badly reasoned assumption your are complaining about, not "stupid crap" .
    Your point being??? Yes they are different, but that is not a valid argument. Not even close. The spoilers are a component of the discussion, they are interrelated not separate things in these threads. The relationship is between them is what you need to argue against, not them being different things.
    Don't call someone stupid for for saying you need to calm down, and not insult people for explaining why things are not the way you first believed. That just makes you look like the stupid disrespectful one.

EDIT : For the record, HERE are the rules for the spoiler forum, read them.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Fostofina, Aldis, readerz and 4 others like this.
  18. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: My post was moved to this forum and thread from another thread in the Suggestions & Bug Reports forum, so I'm editing this to add a link to the post I was replying to for context (and for those who don't know about the little up arrow next to "[Username] said" at the top of quoted posts, which is a hyperlink to the post being quoted). As without the context my post might seem a bit strange and 'out of the blue', or read like I was criticising the moderators. Which I wasn't. And the extract I quoted below, in my post, might not be enough to provide adequate context. So here is the link to the post/thread itself.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/6983486/

---------------------------
    While it's a certainty that a moderator knows more about the frequency of which rules are being broken more than regular users do, from this side of the [moderator | regular user] fence at least, one rule appears to have an unassailable lead in the category of "most violated forum rule".

"Spoiler Forum Rules
    This subforum is for spoilers. Discussion is allowed if it is related to the spoiled content. Off-topic discussion and spam are not allowed. Spam includes stuff like +1 and thank you’s, and "camping for spoilers"."

In support of this rule's claim to the throne, here is a Spoiler forum search for the +1 emoji :blob_plusone:
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/search/123624752/?q=:blob_plusone:&o=date&c[node]=1030

That is, at time of posting, 10 pages worth of results, which is the maximum number of search result pages (or at least I can't see a way to increase it), in the past 15 days. Just 15 days!

Similarly, here is a Spoiler forum search for "camping".
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/search/123624780/?q=camping&o=date&c[node]=1030

That's 10 pages worth of results in the past 21 days.

If you could search for "+1" (too short), and "thanks"/"thank" (too common), you'd likely find a similar story (or maybe worse). And there's more than just these four types of spam posts.

Obviously some of the posts in the search results contain other text besides just the +1 emoji or "camping" etc., but a significant number of them don't contain any other text (besides just spamming the same emoji, or "camping for spoilers", or a combo platter consisting of the various types of spam).

And here's a thread currently on the first page of the Spoiler forum I selected at random, and there are 6 spam posts on the first page alone. Or 8 if you include the 2 double posts. And threads like this aren't exactly a rarity in the Spoilers forum.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/i-once-broke-an-oath-약속-한-번-깼었지.108692/

I reckon even if you closed the Spoiler forum down today, and travelled 10 years into the future, the number of times the spam rule had been broken in the Spoilers forum would still be more than every other rule broken on the forum ever. Maybe even combined. Even spambots look upon the Spoilers forum with an equal measure of admiration and envy (I wonder if that's why I've never seen spambots post in the Spoilers forum? They know they just can't compete).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  19. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sarcasm aside, what do you expect? Us monitoring the forum 24/7? We have lives too, things to do that doesn't include staying on the forum waiting for people to break the rules and cleaning it up. The automerge feature was years in the making, it wasn't an instant overnight solution to the many double posts done over the years.

I'm not even sure why this post was made under the automerge problem thread so I move it here since it was offtopic.
    Edit: I just reread the quoted post and your post. I 100% agree. The spams is the most frequently violated rule on the forum and there's nothing much that we can do about it when some of these people don't even bother to read pinned posts. Not just +1 but the thank yous and the asking for files.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  20. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hhhmmm, having also just reread my post, without the context of the post I was replying to, I can see how it can easily be mis-read and read like I criticising the moderators. Which certainly wasn't the case, or my intention. In hindsight, I should have worded it a bit differently, and more carefully. Or quoted the entire post I was replying to in order to make it clearer that it was a reply, and then added emphasis to the extract I quoted to highlight it as the specific section I was replying to. The wonders of hindsight are indeed limitless. Anyways...

So I apologise to the moderating team if my post read like I was criticising them. I wasn't. As someone who has, sadly (very, very sadly), moderated various internet forums for the past 20 years, I know only too well that [Proactive Moderation] exists somewhere on a spectrum, with 'achievable dream' on the left, and 'pure and utter delusional fantasy' on the right. If you have a small community generating a handful of posts a day, then [Proactive Moderation] can certainly reside somewhere near the left-hand side edge. But for a huge community like NU, generating hundreds, if not thousands of posts every day, then [Proactive Moderation] is constantly bashing its head against the right-hand side edge in a desperate bid to escape its confines.

From this side, it looks like the moderators are fighting an eternal and futile battle against a triple headed spam monster.

Head #1 - being those users who are oblivious to the rules, and can't be bothered to read them.
    Head #2 - being those users who have read the rules, know about the spam rule, but just don't care about breaking this rule.
    Head #3 - being those users who have the read the rules, know about the spam rule, but just don't care enough to report the spam posts.

Fighting against a one headed spam monster is tough enough. Fighting against the three headed version...

my condolences.

Nom de Plume likes this.