Spoiler Discussion in Spoiler Threads

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Westeller, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to admit that any data I have on the forum side for rules violations is out of date to be fair. That was also a time when the forum had both less activity and did not have the automated merging feature so visibility of DP reports was particularly high. I also handled double posts as I saw them, making them stand out to me personally in particular. I didn’t canvas for exact statistics. >_>

I’m glad you brought up a relevant example for today’s NUF, so that it can be addressed properly. Public warnings and other methods to spread awareness of the rules can be more effective than mass deleting those posts. Any attempts to promote and spread the rules is a big thumbs up in my book, since educating users can help stop the problem at the root.

Edit: having those posts cleaned up would be nice, albeit a pretty big project after a glance at your links. I’m just highlighting that a central issue here is awareness that it’s a rules violation at all. I trust the mod teams judgement no matter how they decide to handle it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  2. Aldis

Aldis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LMAO cant agree more. Misunderstood (Korean Rofan) ML is overuse, yes, but still baffled me till this days how some reader decided ML to be a trash after a mere spoiler or just like, 5 early chapters, :facepalm: People have right to have opinion, but if your opinion is based on a small portion of fact, it's just... a bad one. Esp when it's a spoiler thread and all you type is 'trash ml' (well, im doing it too, sorry everyone who want spoiler). Just blacklist revenge, tragedy and betrayal tag already.

I read a lot of rofan novel and have interest in Fiction Tropes. I'd say, this kind of 'misfortune MC and trash MLs/side chars' is thing to make readers feel the sympathy. What's next? Will this potential ML suffer? Repent? Redeem himself? Will MC get her revenge? Will these trash character suffer? This kind of thing important for 'abandoned MC' type.

On the other hand, this misunderstood duke ML is not new... Since I already read a lot of him, I bet he's the 'silent' and 'can talk well' type. Kinda boring tho imo. Judging by spoiler about his sister, the reason he being cold probably because he's trying to be neutral (his three other companions plus the emperor are potentially dangerous for MC afterall), trying to protect MC's surrounding (and failed) and/or his family is being 'hostage' somehow.

Anyway, hoping more spoiler about how the 'traitors' falls from grace!

3. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, even if the moderating team went to the considerable effort to clean up the spam (with or without the help or regular user(s) reporting them as well), it would ultimately amount to very little without a wholesale and fundamental cultural shift in terms of the community, by and large, simply not caring about spam posts. Or more accurately, simply not caring about thread clutter. And that's a forum wide issue, and not just a Spoilers forum issue (and actually a site wide issue given the Review Section has no immunity to the clutter).

Because IMO that is the core problem here. The community culture. Since far too many users view spam posts, and various other types of off topic posts that clutter up threads, as simply being normal, regular thread posts. And as such they will make these type of posts themselves because they're just normal, regular thread posts, and of the type that everyone else is posting. This also means they have no inclination to report them because again, they see them as normal, regular thread posts ("Why would I report normal, regular thread posts?"). And this culture is self-perpetuating because when new members come along, they see everyone else making these posts, and immediately think they are... normal, regular thread posts, and so will often start posting such posts themselves.

This also creates the associated problem whereby something that for many users is simply normal posting behaviour, is actually a violation of the forum rules. And this is a particular problem for new (-ish) users because they're unlikely to think for even a moment that certain types of posts they often see, and see on threads all across the forum, are actually against the forum rules. And why would they? Because if these posts were against the rules, then surely there wouldn't be so many users breaking the rules on a daily basis by posting them? Surely the community would have reported these posts if they were against the rules?

- Everyone regularly doing the same thing = that 'thing' can't possibly be against the forum rules.
    - Loads of posts that violate the forum rules not being reported and deleted = those posts can't possibly be against the forum rules.

And over time, those new(ish) users I referred to become seasoned users, who will continue to have the mindset of spam posts are fine, and as such cause subsequent waves of new users to follow their lead. Because for me, one of the most disheartening things is when I see users who have been members here for several years, and with hundreds if not thousands of posts, posting spam and cluttering up threads. Since surely they should know the forum rules by now? Surely they should be setting a better example for the rest? Because when new members come along and see numerous users who have been registered here for several years, with hundreds of posts, all posting spam and cluttering up threads, what will they think? They will think that those posts are... simply normal, regular thread posts for this community. And as a result the culture continues, and continues to become ever more ingrained (if the latter is even possible by this point).

4. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Off topic posts have existed since the beginning of the community tbh… of course it was a little different back then. Users who didn’t want spam would use thread tags to emphasize it and others would respect that boundary. Others did the opposite and created open challenges to have their thread be taken over. I have stuck around so long because I enjoy that part of our forums culture, but we made a clear separation of where going off topic is or isn’t allowed a long time ago. *sigh*

5. Rangero

Rangero Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see the option to create threads

6. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    LaDyViL likes this.
  7. gingingin1605

gingingin1605 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so in the first post it is said that, the possibility of what i am looking for or i want to discuss already existing is there. And it can be a headache to look for it, i am assuming a solution to that has not been found yet. if i am not able to look for the already discussed posts, i will obviously create a new thread to ask the questions. Now, let us presume that it existed and i couldn't find it so will people and moderators complain to me about it. Tbh i am new to forums so i dont want to get banned or roasted for doing something foolish that's why i am asking this.

8. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Note: Images hidden in spoiler tags were taken in mobile, might look a little different in your browser.

You can try clicking on the ‘more’ option that appears at the bottom when you click on the search icon in the website header. This allows you to limit the search to the spoiler subforum. Then simply search for the title of the novel you are looking for. This will narrow down your search. Hopefully my images will help you see the benefit of these rules and resolve your confusion.
    680E5201-3325-4DBA-81F6-CD552D7D820B.jpeg
    Advanced Search ^
    C88B2E80-B5EB-4D9C-AA7C-FEF0539508C1.jpeg
    Search Results ^
    You can avoid using advanced search by clicking into the spoiler subforum before doing your search. The option to search only the subforum you are currently browsing automatically appears. I like to limit the search to title only as well, but this is optional.
    2EB13FEB-76FA-405E-AD07-C9827E696E09.jpeg
    Search Popup while viewing this thread. You can also see the ‘more’ option that will open advanced search options. ^
    Still use the advance search options if you would like to search multiple subforums at once (such as latest chapter discussion and spoilers at same time). Good luck browsing!

Edit: I suppose I should mention that the Latest Chapter Discussion forum threads are also directly linked on the NU novel page, unlike the spoiler threads, so you don’t usually need to search to find those unless you are creating a new one. It is the blue chat bubbles right above the table of contents. A thread has not been linked if the bubbles are grey.

9. zFrankMz

zFrankMz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fck this is for spoilers, get lost!

Aguni_Erina and firelordleen like this.
  10. Merumeruni

Merumeruni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously, many people came for spoiler not discussion. If you want to discuss go create another thread. This spoiler thread not discussion. Haizzz. And stop fighting. We don't care about your opinions. All I found you guys fighting about ML and FL. Please stop it. It annoying. Because you guy influence another reader.

11. Flaming0

Flaming0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, just don’t read then. It’s get annoying when people want some spoiler but it all full of useless debate. If you don’t like this kind of story, just go somewhere else pick up your favorite novel, the story that you like or else write your own damn novel.

We just want spoiler. Sigh

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2022
  12. Pathetic Angels

Pathetic Angels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Had to make this account because I can't stand it anymore, shut the fuck up. I don't care about y'all idealism or opinion I want to see a goddamn spoiler not a fucking debate. Get out of this post I was excited to see 7 pages of this thread just to see y'all arguing. It's annoying

Dofu and firelordleen like this.
  13. firelordleen

firelordleen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    preach

Dofu and ISTP23 like this.
  14. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow this really added to the discussion and conversation

SoShy likes this.
  15. Elisee

Elisee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a spoiler thread, not a discussion of likes or dislikes with story characters :)

16. Chaosnumber8

Chaosnumber8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I came here looking for the spoilers of chapters 90s but I found bunch of debates instead... :blobwoah:

17. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's near impossible to have a spoiler thread without any discussion :blob_catflip:

Please visit the spoiler curator on the first page to have spoilers that are well organised by ch

18. SoShy

SoShy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People always seem to find something to complain about. We should be happy that curator exists and make use of that tool instead of preaching people not to discuss. I can understand why people would complain before they implemented curator but now... they are just being bitchy, trying to find something to complain. Why not organise spoiler curator while you're busy complaining about people talking?

Gumiho and ReaderReader like this.
  19. Nanashy

Nanashy Scarybun of Horror

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems that after supposedly reading so many comments you have yet to find the pattern. Let me make it easier for the so called "avid reader": the spoilers, thankfully, are posted mostly in a spoiler tag. From time to time there are personal opinions posted in spoiler tags, but those are easily differentiated by the title of the spoiler tag.
    Also, another tip for the so called "avid reader": you can change in the forum profile settings how many messages per page you want to see, change it to more messages and you won't have pages of pages, but few pages with long scrolling, makes forum life easier. Mr. Avid Reader. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2022
    evanesco99211 likes this.
  20. SoShy

SoShy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about a gadget that auto connect all posts with spoiler tags to the spoiler curator? making some special tag for spoilers only.