Spoiler Discussion in Spoiler Threads

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Westeller, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Riftan is a softie

Riftan is a softie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Excuse me? Unfortunately this is A SPOILER THREAD, NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD, look at that RED BIG ‘SPOILER’ tag up there. You can make a new discussion thread elsewhere. Here, people share about spoilers not discussion

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. Zenonide

Zenonide Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, why was this moved here? Hahahaha. I commented this on the spoiler thread of Duchess of the Glass House.

I have been reading many spoiler threads and it always bugs me that there are too many people discussing the novel and not spoiling on a SPOILER thread. It just ruins the excitement of being able to read or discover a spoiler and wanting to read the next part only to be greeted by pages of people discussing how the ML is trashy or the MC is so weak hearted. I dont know what got me and commented this on that particular thread hahaha but it suddenly got on my nerves seeing pages of discussion only to read a little spoiler then struggling to find the next spoiler due to some spoiler threads being crowded by people discussing their biases on a SPOILER thread.

Pansy25 likes this.
  3. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because you’re always bringing unnecessary drama into any thread without reading what people are actually saying, maybe? Yes, spoiler threads allow discussions, but it’s not a discussion when you’re not reading actual comments and just ramble about an imaginary injustice and insult others for their opinions.

Pansy25 and Tt123 like this.
  4. Migrad

Migrad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it seems people didnt read the sticky thread :facepalm:
    can you discuss in spoiler thread? YES! you absolutely can! as long they discuss something about spoiler and not translated chapter!
    here lemme quote the mod/staff member post in that thread

so please dont attack on those people who are passionate and keep the thread alive. maybe some of them are hot headed and firm in their opinion, you can just simply block them and the headache are gone blobmelt_thumbs

5. Pansy25

Pansy25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for pointing this out to everyone. You took the words out of my mouth.

its0k likes this.
  6. Kumoshiro

Kumoshiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing it in the perspective of a forum administrator, it is understandable they want to see people using the forums because that is the lifeline of every forum on internet. A forum without people discussing is a dying forum and ask people to not vent their opinions is the first step to sabotage their own.

People who likes to vent their opinions is not the only one who uses this forum. I'm not an active writer, but every day I check this forum because I want to know more about content not translated yet and I think a lot of people comes to the spoiler forums wanting actual spoilers and you can see it just seeing the statistics of over +90k views of this topic.

I agree discussing is positive when it helps to know more about something new. That is what spoiler readers wants to read. But I'm tired to see people trying to privatize spoilers topics with only their opinions without contributing to the topic.

Now I want to ask to the people who likes and wants to read spoilers instead of discussion to give a like to this post to show their posture. Instead, if the people doesn't mind to read discussions please give a like to @Migrad post to show their posture. This way we can make an idea of how reasonable is this protest.

7. Westeller

Westeller The superior sibling Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Discussion in spoiler threads is allowed. End of story.

Discussion of discussion in spoiler threads in spoiler threads is *not*. Please argue about it *here*.

If at any point in your life you feel inclined to inform someone discussion is allowed in spoiler threads, do so here. If at any point in your life you feel inclined to disagree with someone over their right to an opinion, do so here. If at any point in your life you feel inclined to start some form of protest, do so here.

Do. Not. Post. Off. Topic. In. Spoiler. Threads.

AliceShiki, Shio and theilikepie like this.
  8. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    In some cases, those people with unmovable 'passion' and posters who are not even seeing the other side of the discussion and doubles down on their own morals make me want to abandon the thread. Being passionate should not be a cop out. Posters post because they are interested and passionate. Another thing that makes me abandon a thread is some shit-stirrer who thinks they are above other posters and no other than their opinion should matter. If one poster can not be at least agreeable while conversing, puts other posters into boxes, and creating drama, that poster should be a consideration for a ban. There is no point in participating in any thread where posters have to police themselves over fiction.

Kumoshiro likes this.
  9. Kumoshiro

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an experience being a moderator of a smaller forum than this one and I understand why admins and mods may close an eye to subjective discussions on spoiler forums, because ask people to move their discussion out of the thread is another subject of complaints.

However, closing an eye will encourage people to keep spaming spoiler threads with content that does not meant to spoil anything but only to post their personal judgment about a character or what they think should be about the plot.

It is not the same thing to discuss about the qualities of the characters than to discuss about the judgment of the qualities of the characters. In spoiler threads is a good thing to post the first (because everyone wants to know facts about the novel), but it is spam to post personal judgment (because no one wants to know personal opinions about the novel).

You have the tools to see how thirsty people is for spoilers and how fed up people is for personal judgment and you can see it just checking the liked posts in the thread this come from: https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/6315569/

That post comes from Duchess of the Glass House spoiler (where the previous post of this topic came from and it was a smart thing to move it here because this post no one reads in the spoiler forum). That have 24 likes and another one sharing more spoilers got 26 likes. Both posts felt like a rain after a drought because the previous post are only personal opinions over the morals of the characters.

There was even a post with only an image without anything related to the novel and you keep it. Why? Yes, it's funny, but that is actual spam without a doubt.

I said before I'm not an active poster, instead I'm an active reader of this forum that came for the spoilers. I'm tired to see threads going to the trash because a few group of people like to capture the discussion over what they like or dislike of a character or how they think it should be or become the plot.

Zenonide likes this.
  10. Riftan is a softie

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I know that people can discussing in the spoiler thread, but the discussion thread isn’t exist for nothing. You should can diferentiate the place, this is the thread where people looking for a spoiler not discussion.

Imagine you came to seek for spoilers, but instead you got bunch of people discussing and arguing about the plot, characters, and even bring up noblesse oblige that has nothing to do with the story. Lol

it'll be a different story if the spoiler threads that should be the place of people sharing and looking for spoilers were filled with 80% of a very loooooong replies of discussion and argument, 15% people asking for more spoilers, and 5% people sharing the spoilers. it's not a spoiler thread just for its name, right? bcs this forum has another place for discussing, so please refrain yourself for discussing too much or arguing in the spoiler thread. I’m not saying for people to not discuss in the spoiler thread, i didn't say that people shouldn't discuss in the spoiler thread, but at least do it moderately and respect other people's opinion. Thank you

Kumoshiro likes this.
  11. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmfao and It got moved lol

Mods=Gods
    EsiGyChXEAE766F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2021
  12. Pansy25

Pansy25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its quite interesting how I got here when the real troll who spammed the thread was still there terrorizing it.

Can we please ask the moderator to ban or suspend some trolls.

Some have the audacity to keep commenting and commenting spamming the spoiler threads to useless discussions. Yes she was suspended but she came back and started another debate in another thread.

Its not fair for people who are looking for spoilers. Only to find useless debates. We ask that these trolls to respect people's opinion and actually read people's comments aside from refraining from leaving insulting remarks. If not you cannot just banned them permanently at least suspend their account for even 6 months?

13. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    So a troll is soemone who disagrees with you

Lol okay. Make your own safespace site with your own opinions then instea of trying to censor others

If anything your the one wh spamming the thread. 5 of your comments are just complaning about me and notning else. At least discuss something about the novel instead of whining about soemthing totally unrelated to the novel

Ignore button is right there btw

14. Kumoshiro

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a few questions.
    • What is the Novel Discussion forum for and what is the difference with Spoilers forum?
    • Why was the Novel Discussion forum and Spoilers forum created for?
    • Why people search for spoilers?
    I can't talk for others, but I visit the spoilers forum wanting to know how the story continue after reading the latest translated chapter of a novel or manga, not to get a debate out of it.

15. Zenonide

Zenonide Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 to this one... My sentiments exactly.

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Repeating this. With bold.

NUF is a small offshoot from NU, if it dies then it dies. Surprisingly, it got so big and got so high in the search results but again, this is just a small offshoot from NU.

Right below this thread, there's another pinned post about an account where you can Edit their post while logged in on your account to denote and compile links to posts that are important and actually contain spoilers. You may check any of these examples of what and how the account is used for, be them simple or complicated:

NU and NUF is open to suggestions. However, it does not mean we will apply the suggestions even under pressure. It's up to the boss whether something is applied. Everything has the boss's final say.

You may start your own movement, campaign or petitions for them on another part of the forum but not in a Spoiler thread. We're not doing it for you. Show us results and evidence instead of a small number of people's words. Even then, if it doesn't convince the boss by a huge landslide then it might not get implemented anyway.

Discuss a specific topic of a novel, may include spoilers but can also cover only the specific chapters, spoilers need to be in spoiler codes.
    Discuss a specific novel, doesn't require spoiler codes to hide spoiler, can include latest translations discussions or raw discussions, can have ONE Curator-chan post.
    Refer to above replies.
    Because they want spoilers, probably got to NUF from google.

My dear NUFfians, wherever you are from or however you got here, everything falls under the Forum Rules, and the only one beyond the rules is the boss. This is Novel Updates Forum, it doesn't have to comply with other platform's rules but we try to be civil.

Try not to push us too far, we're nice most of the time :)

17. Riftan is a softie

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, THANKS TO YOU I found this thread and gonna discuss this matter with the mods :rolleyes:

18. Zenonide

Zenonide Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So whats the purpose of a spoiler thread if all you can read before finding the spoiler is someone ranting about the character's morality? i understand discussions about the spoilers but is a rant considered a spoiler? Im really getting confused now. Im usually a silent reader and sometimes i pass by useful spoilers that are not in a spoiler quote because I dont want to read others discussions and rants.

19. Riftan is a softie

Reading List:
    Link
    Ikr? People come to the spoiler thread to find spoilers, but if what they got are a bunch of discussion and even argument, can we call it a spoiler thread?

I’m not saying you should forbid people to discuss in the spoiler thread, but at least do it moderately and don’t bring up topic that is irrelevant to the stories. And even there’s some people who can’t seem to respect other people’s opinions and start debating in the spoiler thread bcs they think too highly of their own opinion so that others’ don’t matter (like the person up there).

and again, this forum has another thread for novel discussion, so why don’t we use it wisely and according to its use?

sorry I’m not pushing you or other mods/admins, but you said you are open for suggestions, so this is a suggestion for me, hope you guys reconsider it, so that no arrogant user starting another argument in spoiler threads again. Thank you

Zenonide likes this.
  20. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn bro im so scared. For sure mods are gonna change a rule that people have been talking about for a year since you asked

Again and again people complain and again and again the mods repeat the same things. Yea unless tonys your uncle good luck

*insert gabi nae nae*

Also mods since were complaning pls let me post my gabi nae nae