Feature Request Dislike Option

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Dragon God, Jan 28, 2017.

?

Do you support this proposal?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    The is a request for a feature on NU, and not on NUF; a dislike button on reviews. Reviews with net negative likes should be hidden. You can display them with a special option.

I'm not going to write a long winded post with all the merits for my suggestions. The last one did not turn out well -_- . I'll try to be concise and lucid.

There are some crap, useless, unhelpful, detrimental, toxic, poisonous reviews on NUF. To be precise some reviews are utter shit. Case in point: http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/most-cringeworthy-review.27226/

It is against my policy to report such reviews, and against the spirit of the forum to remove them. Removing them is against the spirit of freedom of speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's utter crap.

Furthermore even on the reviews which are not utter crap, some of them are quite opinionated and heavily biased.

There may be a review which has 20 likes, but a 100 people might dislike it. This is not reflected. It harms the users like me who pay principal attention to reviews when looking for their next fix.

I might be put off by a review which bashes a series and has 10 likes. Unknown to me, it has 90 dislikes.

There are no detriments to this. Other sides like Royalroadl.com, and mangaupdates.com implement such a feature.

I surprised NU has not yet implemented this feature.

2. Matsurika

Matsurika ❀Spring Tune❀『Blue Ashes』

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna happen.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  4. Lovely

Lovely 『Valentines Terror!』『Cherished Kitty』『Rika's Twin』

Reading List:
    Link

5. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    Why?

6. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    To avoid negativity. Why else?

7. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    I see it's not gonna happen.

I can understand why there'll be no dislike button in forum, but why reviews.

The lack of a dislike button is a net negative effect on the community. The toxic reviews hang around poisoning some good novels and harm user enjoyment.

If there was a dislike button, actual good reviews will rise to the top.

I can't understand why.

How does the dislike button (in reviews) create negativity?

Not in the forum but in reviews.

Thankfully, some other people here are on RRL. In my experience the presence of a dislike button in reviews hasn't created negativity. The other RRL members should be able to affirm or deny my anecdote.

If we had a dislike button, you'll see less reviews that were really reply to other reviews and not reviews on their own.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2017
  8. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there aren't as many novels here as there are in RRL, plus there are quite a few and by a few I mean a lot of haters of certain genres. Also, I didn't understand half of what you just said right now, made me confused a bit due to the grammar.

9. Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    Will go fix my typos.

I've fixed it. About the haters of the genres, I don't know. I guess you can't expect people to have the common sense to stay away from genres they find distasteful.

I have only 5 star ratings(though it's because I only rate stories I liked). There are also genre haters on RRL.

I expect the haters will just stick to low ratings? I don't think they'll start spam disliking reviews.

You can limit the number of dislikes daily though?

I suggest you first try it out and see how it goes. If it's really harmful, then it should rightly me dropped.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2017
  10. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
    He dislikes your request.

11. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Please make sure that a feature request does not already exist before making a new one. This is the fourth thread. The answer is a solid no. If you would like to know why, do a simple forum search.

Matsurika likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.