Discussion Divine Throne of Primordial Blood: constant terminology changes

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Astaroth, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been binge reading Divine Throne of Primordial Blood for a while now, and something I felt since fairly early on was that the terminology seems to be pretty messy...

I'm not sure if it's the RAW or translation's fault, since I haven't bothered to check the raws, but either way it's pretty damn annoying.

For example, at first one of the intelligent races was the so called "Ravagers", then at some point it became "Ferocious Race", only to later be called Ravagers again...

"Cliff Race" became "Stoneskins" (Edit: Then two chapters later it's back being called Cliff Race again...)

I'm pretty sure there's something up with Arcane, Arcana, and Arcanist as well but w/e.

And at some point there were "Astrals" and "Dark Astrals" that are the Spirit and Dark Spirit Race...

Also something else that I've noticed is that there's frequent mistakes with cultivation levels, one moment talking about say Blood Boiling and then that same Blood Boiling cultivator is a Yang Opening Cultivator.

Most frequently I've seen mixups between Yang Opening and Light Shaking...

The most annoying part about how frequent it is is that sometimes it makes me assume that there's yet another mistake only for it to be right that time...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't read this story yet, based on your description seems like I'd want to avoid it anyway, what you've described seems to be MTL errors? Or this Author / TL has a terrible memory. There is also the chance that the Author / TL just really doesn't know or want to keep track with terminology

AMissingLinguist and Astaroth like this.
  3. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that novel on Wuxiaworld? They're pretty professional there so that's weird.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't bring it up, mostly because I didn't bother to check the raws, but as you mentioned I do suspect that the translation is edited MTL.
    It's on volare translations/veratales or w/e it's called nowadays. Though even on Wuxiaworld there's lower quality translations as well, not saying that there's MTL there, but there's definitely varying quality even on the top sites from novel to novel depending on the TLs.

5. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they changed the terminology about 80 or so chapters ago. Guess they must have whatever application they use set to auto-translate it to the old term and must have forgotten to replace it with the new one or something like that

Astaroth and AMissingLinguist like this.
  6. readerread

readerread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually think translation is done well, and for many of the terminology you are seeing, the translator mentioned in chapter 1 on wuxiaworld he is going back and editing and hence you’ll notice those mistakes

Astaroth likes this.
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I see. I've been binge reading from chapter 5 or so cause I had already read the first few chapters a long time ago. So I just continued from there, if there was some kind of notice at chapter 1 I would've missed it and I have yet to catch up all the way to the latest chapters so I would've missed any notice there as well. I guess I got a bit unlucky with that

Anyway, that explains the change in terminology, but still there's the other thing I mentioned where levels are constantly mixed up. I have an example from a chapter I just read here (technically I'm reading on volare novels, since that's where I read from the beginning and NU links go there, but I checked this chapter and it's the same on WXW):

The Immortal Temple’s internal structure copied the Arcana Kingdom’s five tiers: Duke, Marquis, Count, Viscount, and Baron. Of these, the ones with the highest statuses were known as Archdukes, not kings, since the kingdom had fallen. The other important commanders were classified at the Duke level, such as Scarlet Hand Ainsley. Below them were the marquises, which included Ma Renze and Shi Mingfeng. Below that were the viscounts.

Night Demon’s status naturally rose even faster, and there was nothing strange about her becoming a viscount. If the situation continued to progress at the current rate, and if Su Chen could bring the Heavenly Might Battalion out of the Ferocious Race’s territory alive, then Night Demon would immediately be elevated to the position of count ⁠— the same rank as Shi Mingfeng.​

So first we're told that Shi Mingfeng is a marquis, just below a duke, but below that are counts and not viscounts, so either it should be that Shi Mingfeng is actually count, not a marquis, or it should say count instead of viscount.

Some paragraphs later it's explained that Shi Mingfeng is in fact a count rather than a marquis, so that explains why it said viscount, but then if it should've been count instead of marquis that means marquis was jumped over instead...

Which leaves the question, is Shi Mingfeng ranked one rank below Scarlet Hand Ainsley or is it two ranks below?...

I'm not sure if it's like that in the original or not, but either way stuff like this just makes me have to constantly second guess the ranks...

8. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh, try reading The Charm of Soul Pets. It's a great novel, but you have to constantly correct the soul pets' ranks. Most likely, every rank - from servant to emperor - has been interchanged with any other rank at least once. You have no idea how awkward it is to see a servant (bottom-tier) rank pet beat a monarch rank, knowing that it actually was a monarch or emperor rank beating the monarch. Are you confused yet? Wait until we get into perfect commanders with the strength of emperors but are actually perfect monarchs because perfect commanders are monarchs. Meanwhile monarchs are sometimes emperors 'cause who needs to edit for terminology. TCoSP can be trippy. Random rant ~FIN~

AMissingLinguist and Astaroth like this.