DMCA protection

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by lygarx, Aug 20, 2020.

1. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    An author of a web novel discovered the existence of this site and got super pissed. I know we don't store the actual chapters here and are just a site that is a meeting point that is just sharing links to other independent pirates. My question is what protections does this site have to prevent it from getting legally shut down.
    I also realize DCMA is a different thing. I meant to put DMCA.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    personally, i truly doubt an author of a web-based novel have the 'ability', and 'reach' to shutdown 'a site' through dmca. a page, may be. entire site?, no.

though i'm not privy to the entire details, there are some 'measures' prepared by tony, in case novelupdates really come upon that bridge and needs to cross it, thanks to recent kadokawa's claim on few of the novel covers on the site. (even though i still feel kadokawa overreach their authority when it comes to covers)

3. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly think the author is just mad that foxteller is making money from it and getting paid. but when it is licensed here, we generally remove them. and we don;t really allow the sharing of links to actually steal real licensed publications. I just hope it is enough. always a concern. this site is one of my favorites.

4. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can still find works of fan translated chapters even after the novel gets licensed (Ex: Overlord).

The bigger problem with NU boils down to the novels being shunned after they're licensed. You won't find links to paywalled content or any means to purchase the novel on the novel summary page. The novel's update pretty much dies in the site, so authors don't gain any more publicity of their work.

As for the site being taken down by DMCA, I doubt something like that would happen? It's like trying to take down a wiki page.