Discussion Do long novels put you off reading?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Isaac20, Jun 13, 2021.

?

How many chapters in a book can you tolerate?

1. 1 - 100

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 100 - 200

18 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. 200 - 500

21 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. 500 - 1000

18 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. 1000+

44 vote(s)
    41.1%
  6. 10,000+

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    How many have put off the thought of reading long books here? Most modern books are usually between 300-500 chapters and I'm used to this but these books take longer to finish reading. It takes me 2-3 weeks to finish a book like that, so a book with 500+ chapters?! *sigh*

long-book-feature-image.jpg

Anyone else any thoughts on long novels?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid anything with 1000+ chapters.

I have the mindset that a story should be about as short as it needs to be... If it has 1000+ chapters, then the author probably added an excessive amount of fluff and I'll get tired of it at some point.

Might as well not even start those then~

3. aienmoon

aienmoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont really have the patience to read more than 200 chapters. If there's a novel that i get interested in that has more than 200 chaps, i'll just check the spoiler thread to satisfy my curiosity or just check specific chaps. :blobjoy:

phonebinder, aintg and Isaac20 like this.
  4. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    300 is basically my upper limit for chapter number nowadays... :blobsad:

5. Celebration

Celebration Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have an upper limit. Granted, the longer that story the more skill the writer has to be. but it can, and is done. Legendary Mechanic , Coiling Dragon were Amazing reads. Yes people can knit pick them but seriously over all, Amazing work. Heck One Piece is a master piece. With very little in the way of complaints from me. I love getting lost in a story for weeks on end. Heck, One Piece I started in 2005?04? But for written stories. I read them for a long time. Books for example, The Two Week Curse 10 realms series is super long and ongoing. I really enjoy it. To a lesser extent Cause I do have a lot to complaints about it especially the last two books Chaos Seed is also really long. So to go back to my first sentence I don't have an upper limit. I also have difference tolerances for different plot points. It's a bout pacing and getting lost in a different world created by the author. And the skill in which they tell the story. Clichés can be entertaining if written well. Just like a good o'l mama jokes, doesn't get old if done well.

6. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek: Huh?!... How did you find one similar to my secret weapon?

aienmoon likes this.
  7. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Number of chapters was never an issue for me, it's about how the story captures my interest. It's very rare for an author to plan out a novel that is over thousand chapters long, sometimes even 300 chapters is too much to plan for.

And when they are making it up along the way, it's very obvious to me that he/she has no idea what they want for their novel, and at that point I drop the novel.

8. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends entirely on the quality of the writing, the plot, and the details. If its an awesome book i would read it. If its a bad book i wont read it even if its 50 chapters long. Its also jmprtant that the novel is not repetite, than most chinese 1000+ novels which is the same thing with a different name only. Only the 1% if 1000+ chapters novels in chinese are worth reading. The rest its a complete waste of time.

aintg, aShinyVaporeon and Isaac20 like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nope
    the problem lie on will that become interesting or not which sadly most wn become meh to at some point~ long novel that fill with too much filter or forgettable event feel short while if it interesting this cat will feel huh it been that long?

aintg, Isaac20 and AliceShiki like this.
  10. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    normally I would try to avoid those with 500+ chapters, but it depends if I enjoy the novel or not. Sometimes I read those with 500+ just to pass the time.

aintg and Isaac20 like this.
  11. Tangshu

Tangshu Lady Of The Wind ☁️

Reading List:
    Link
    100 - 200 chapters before it starts to become boring or feels like a chore to read. I don't understand how people read 1000+ chapters, couldn't be me.

Tsago, Isaac20 and AliceShiki like this.
  12. Munimuyi

Munimuyi Chili <33

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's interesting enough for me then I'll read it no matter how many chapters it has.
    Most of the time I usually try to finish them even if they're not engaging in the later chapters, but there was one novel that had 3000+ chapters that I didn't finish yet.
    I think I stopped around at 2800 something in the novel :hmm::blobconfounded:

Isaac20 likes this.
  13. elliejoy123

elliejoy123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I like the plot and the setting of the novel I can tolerate 500 -1000 chapters of that and grow obsessed with it. If I don't like the plot I won't even reach 30 - 50 chapters lol

aShinyVaporeon and Isaac20 like this.
  14. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a good world hopping novel, I can finish it. And it depends whether the plot is good with minimal plot holes, the characters aren't so stupid, and it's interesting. I can read single story novel with thousand of chapters if it's really, really good or I read it before like the black bellied genius(?). I like reading novels with just a right amount of chapters like 100-700. All the loose ends are solved and just making me craved for extra chapters.

Isaac20 likes this.
  15. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's entirely dependent on the scope of the setting. In fantasy at least, if the author can really integrate the setting into the plot, the story's almost sure to be good. Many like the concept of cultivation, but becoming the top of the universe for the sake of it doesn't mean anything story wise. There's nothing engaging to read there.

aShinyVaporeon and Isaac20 like this.
  16. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the author and if the series is completed. Ill read I eat tomatos stuff and some of his stuff is around the 1000 chapter mark same with er gens novels even if they arent done. But if its 2k chapters plus with no end in sight and an author im not familiar with i wont touch it. If its over 1k chapters and new to me ill read a series only if its complete even if it isnt fully translated.

17. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I have time to read them, then I will not be put off by long chapters
    I will basically keep reading and reading until the end of chapters, and then realised 2-3 have passed only reading that novel for more than 12+ hours a day
    Sadly, I am an university student, if I do what I did above, I probably procrastinate a lot of assignments... That won't be ideal. I also have exam...
    So now I only read short novel like less than 100 chapters you can finished it within a day
    I can't wait for holiday! I have a lot of novels to read! Aaaaaaaaaa

Isaac20 likes this.
  18. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Long novels used to be my bread and butter for more than a year after discovering CNs, but I don't specifically look for them anymore. I still like reading long ones once in a while, but it's not like I go searching for them. Searching for new novels to read is definitely my least favourite part of reading a book so long ones help a lot with that. (Although it is super satisfying when you find a gem among hoards of random ones)

P.S I'm aware that there are very few long novels that are actually well written throughout but it's fine if the novel is even half decent sometimes.

19. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Ayee... :blob_patpat:

20. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the story and if it keeps my interest. Also, if it's complete or not. I don't mind reading 1000+ chapters of a completed story that held my interest. But if the story just drags (or is still slowly updating) I drop it, put it off to the side and say I'll get back to it later and then never touch it again.