Discussion Do you also read fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Japorea, Jan 29, 2019.

?

Do you read fanfiction?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    I read fanfiction when I am not satisfied with a book or series, particularly their ending. Or if I want to read more about the relationship of one pairing that is not really tackled in the book and I'm thirsty for more. Most of the time the pairings I ship are not canon so I have to resort to fanfics. What about you? Do you also read fanfiction? And if so, why? Give me your fandoms! :blobpopcorn_cool:
    For the writers, do you write fanfics too?

My fandoms: Harry Potter, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, etc. (I have too many to mention)

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read fanfics. IfI don't like the ending, I'm just gonna rewrite the story in my brain and end it how I like it.

3. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the art ( if you know what I mean) :blobwhistle:

Zemeckis likes this.
  4. Ghalad

Ghalad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    XD!!:blobhighfive::blobamused::blobamused::blobamused:

5. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    On AO3, usually Fire Emblem and RWBY.

6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto, Harry Potter, High School DxD, Muv Luv, FF7, Fate Stay, Code Geass, SAO...

Japorea likes this.
  7. djsosonut

djsosonut Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read fanfiction because when I like something and want more of it. I tend to enjoy the fanfiction that works inside of canon, more than the ones that completely rewrite canon. Some moments or facet of character that get expanded on by fanfiction in ways that the show didn't have the time or desire to flesh out. Fandoms i read fanfic for are Misfits, Buffy, Angel, Chuck, Game of Thrones, Firefly and Justice League Unlimited.

8. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to read fan fiction, but that was back before Shadowrun went to sh*t.

Not admittedly before R A Salvatore went there though (Ok, I only read like 7 or 8 of his, since I didn't manage to get into the ones about the scribe when I tried, but still, I'm ashamed to admit I read both The Dark Elf Trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy more than twice each (not sure how much more, but probably both were only single digits), & I only ever managed to finish one of his non-FR novels, once (it was even more dire than Battlefield Earth, & no I don't mean the movie).

9. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    Fate/stay night, RWBY, gundam

10. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fate series , dbz, Naruto and Harry Potter mostly

11. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to dislike fanfiction, thought it was stupid and childish wish fulfillment, and since it was just imaginary what was the point. What the author had written was the only thing that mattered. Well time passed some stories I liked drove right into shit creek, and I quickly realized that the author was just as human as the rest of us. So seeing as the source material is just as imaginary as the fan material, why waste time splitting hairs when both can be as legitimate as you want them to be. (Of course you still gotta find these diamonds hidden amongst the manure, most fanfiction is still a rancid pile of garbage.)

Scylox, Donutmindme, Vocah and 5 others like this.
  12. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    I read fanfics because either I don't like how certain characters were treated in canon, don't like the developments in canon, I want to see certain pairings, or just want to see the 'what ifs'. I did write some stories, but the last time I wrote was back in 2010. My current fandoms are RWBY, Naruto, Harry Potter, Fate/Stay Night, BNHA, KHR, Fairy Tail, and One Piece

13. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    voted yes but I do this as well.

14. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    It's too hard to find the good ones so I've given up.

15. MayuriC93

MayuriC93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read Fanfics when I am waiting for update and can't stop myself missing the characters of certain novel or manga . It's best to avoid spoilers for me

16. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha for me it’s the opposite. If i like the story a lot then I read fan fictions of it, I also read it for the ships, like CatgirlXpeterparker, there was a fan fic of a earth person being transported to the marvel world and gets with Cat girl instead, which was cool.

If it’s only decently written and well thought of with no mistakes I’ll read it. Honestly I see more bad written faction then good but idk, depends on your taste I guess. Just like BlueKnight I gave up

Zemeckis likes this.
  17. Japorea

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's really hard to look for good ones. Most are hidden underneath garbage.

Arexio likes this.
  18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    There's quite a few concepts I like, but I detest the canon works for one reason or another, for those kinds it can be quite fun to read a fanfic that's set in the same world or alter the original plot.

I've tried reading and watching Naruto and Pokémon countless times, because I like the ideas of them, but I get so tired of the whole shounen and kids show aspects that it's just not for me.

I've watched the entire DBZ (though not dragon ball or dragon ball super), but it's so disgusting with the endless talks in the middle of fights, charging up attacks over multiple episodes, Goku sparing and getting backstabbed by Frieza over and over again...

There's just way too many things not to like about the original that completely ruin it for me, so seeing someone else's take at it can be interesting.

Arexio and Scylox like this.
  19. Japorea

Reading List:
    Link
    You could write it! :blob_grin:

20. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to read fanfics for Hetalia, Detective Conan, and Shingeki no Kyojin. It's been a while, I don't know how the fandom is doing now. Are they still alive, I wonder. I also did wrote some Hetalia fanfics back then, mostly with political fiction inside.
    For Katekyo Hitman Reborn, I prefer read the doujinshis. XD

Japorea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.