Do you care more about gameplay, story, or atmosphere?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Silver Snake, Apr 7, 2021.

?

Gameplay, story, or atmosphere?

1. Gameplay

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Story

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Atmosphere

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would a game with a good story be garbage? People are allowed to play games for their own reasons. This is not a question where everyone has to agree. It's okay to play games for the story. When people are like this I remember why I don't participate in the gaming community.

Nightow1 likes this.
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    When did I say that?

Do you even understand what I meant? I meant if the "game" needs to have a good story for someone to want to play, why even bother? A good game with good gameplay doesn't need a good story. A good story is just a bonus.

When people are like this, I remember why I don't participate in discussions. Why do people have trouble understanding simple sentences? Why do I need to make the effort to explain when it's already straightforward enough?

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is what you said. It's fine if you feel that the gameplay is the most important thing to you but why tell others what to do? You told people to basically stop playing for games if they play games for the story. I replied since I don't understand why people try to push others from playing games because they play for "wrong reasons". This is the reason many (including me) don't participate in the community: people constantly telling others the way/why they play is "wrong" (not only you, this is happens a lot and I get tired of it hence my answer). But since you don't want to discuss this then let's drop this conversation and let people enjoy games for whatever reasons they have.

4. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    How is this even remotely related to what you posted earlier? You were clearly talking about something else. Also, this is a thread asking for people's opinion about games. If you don't want to read about other people's opinion, why did you even click on this thread?

Also, like I've said, go read a novel if you want a good story. Video games have barely passable stories. It always make me laugh whenever someone says they play games for the story.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what type of game it is for me.

For example, for FPS or RTS I don't care if the story is shit or very campy. As long as I can shoot some bad guys in style or build towers on every corner of the maps it's a good game in my book. I don't need tragic backstory or higher moral teaching in my war crime simulator.

The opposite is true for RPGs and Adventure games. No matter how polished the gameplay, if the story is shit I ain't touching it. Except if it has an extensive character customization and lots of fashion items.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah~
    if ya looking for story go to rpg section, this cat not really into rpg games cuz it require long time~ sometimes this cat just cheating around for progressing story
    gameplay, maybe cuz this cat sure play stuff like that such as rts, strategy, fps, fighting some other stuff such as fatal frame and simulation stuff~

atmosphere?, horror game!

it really depend on mood sometime just random reason
    ar tonelico just cuz it song, da story is silly lul
    some dress up games, just because wanna make pretty character
    burnout, just because of crash mode other mode is bleeh
    doa vacation, just because of sexy waifu.... nope never play it.... maybe~
    plenty of mmorpg, cuz.... why not?

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely story. The Trails series is one of the highlights of my games library. A good story keeps the stages of a game in a coherent flow, otherwise it just becomes a hack and slash, which if it is your thing, then no problem but a good story gives you a 'why' to your hacking and slashing. Which is also why Valkyria Chronicles 1 > Valkyria Chronicles 4 for me, 4 forgot about a good coherent story in lieu of preaching.

8. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there is supposed to a balance in games (gameplay> story > atmosphere) However, they are all supposed to complement each other.

Gameplay itself is vital to a game's inherent appeal to begin with. Your number one competitor is not other video games, but rather other types of entertainment (Ex. youtube, netflix). Rather than asking what makes a game good, the first question you should ask is why games are a distinct form of entertainment. The answer is not story, as someone mentioned earlier- this need can easily fulfilled in other forms of media.

No one will play a game with shitty gameplay (or at least you will deter a large amount of people). An example of this would be Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, most people fucking hate it because most people find the battle system obnoxious (but the story is important for what happens between KH1 and KH2, and this actually probably makes people dislike it even more because it is an actual vital story piece.)

That said- story and atmosphere are still important. They are not only there for context for the gameplay, but also for enjoyment. They also enhance and compliment the gameplay itself. Like the earlier mentioned KH:CM, there are people who still play it for the fact of getting the story (and in fact overcoming the unusual battle system and mastering it) purely because they enjoy the story. However, most people would rather opt out of experiencing the gameplay in favor of theater mode where they can just watch the cutscenes.

Sorry this was a little long, but I hope I made some sense:cookie:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    AliceShiki likes this.
  9. Khaos-Thanathan

Khaos-Thanathan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gameplay is the most important factor for a game - no matter how you look at it. Story and Atmosphere can complement Gameplay and are able to make up Gameplay flaws, but ultimately, gameplay is what matters most.

10. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im not even sure if these points stand alone

for me gameplay and story is part of the atmosphere

at least badly done they destroy the atm. for me

if im non stop annoyed by for example badly placed checkpoints i wont even get in a mood to notice/enjoy the atm.
    on the other hand being solid nothing remarkable bad would be enought for me to immerse myself