Discussion Do you do anything special when you MTL?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by gnessa14, Aug 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other than using Chrome and clicking on "Translate to [your target language]"?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Apologize (in advance) to my brain cells and English teacher(s)
    • Curse the internet, Google, He-man, RWX and Tony for getting me addicted to WNs
    • Cuss out GT/Systran for making MTLing so easy and accessible
    • Bemoan my lack of self-control
    ... and MTL away to oblivion.

ThunderingSnow, mir, Nyaa.23 and 15 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what you want exactly but sometimes I eat popcorn with salt (I like my popcorn with lots of salt) when I MTL

Snowbun likes this.
  4. wildthorn

wildthorn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. But after reading I try to calm my brain cells, they get angry you know.

immortalnovelseeker and otaku31 like this.
  5. PEKA

PEKA Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English Is my second language so I seal all the English I learned and start reading the mtl English.
    A year ago I finished a will eternal on lnmtl and during sleeping I start speaking the mtl English and my brother freaked as he thought I was cursed

6. Xilphidae

Xilphidae ⚔Swordfish⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a box of joe lois or twinkies to help my mind when it goes into overdrive trying to make sense of everything

7. White Head Ice Prince

White Head Ice Prince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sem sem

otaku31 likes this.
  8. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Switch off my inner grammar nazi

Mino Micha, Anra7777 and Eques like this.
  9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    When I'm not using LNMTL I use word replacer II to make personal terms, and google translate is pretty garbo because of a couple of big flaws so I use the systran web extension instead.

Unfortunately I've pretty much completely stopped MTLing random novels because it's way too much of a pain in the ass if you can't see both the translation and the chinese raw at the same time. (Especially since I also have perapera popup dictionary, so I when something looks weird I can check it on the fly with dictionary.)

Otherwise I'd have to have two tabs open, one with the translation and the other with the raw. It's just way too much back and forth.

As for LNMTL, I make a lot of terms for the per-novel glossary/dictionary for each novel i read to improve the translation. On top of that I also use "kronos' script" with tapermonkey which allows you to make personal terms in addition to the LNMTL terms.

And lastly I also note down a lot of problems and quirks with systran so they can be fixed. Oh and I download epubs of the novels so I can search through the raws with ctrl + f...

Anyway, so long as it's a (chinese) novel that exist on LNMTL, then LNMTL is the best option. There's still quite a lot that could be improved with LNMTL, but it's the best of what is out there.

As for non-LNMTL novels, then if you don't want to spend time making terms etc. just use google (or maybe Baidu translate, I've heard its better?) or check Comrade Mao (similar concept to LNMTL, but it's not systran and it also has Korean and Jap novels), there's a few other ones as well like Babel something...
    P.s. also, if your preferred machine translator has the option, use the webpage translation. So for example with google translate use https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.novelupdates.com/

PastTimer, Snowbun, Westeller and 2 others like this.
  10. Lothbrok

Lothbrok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But isn't Babelchain better than LNMTL? At least it's readable, you can understand it a lot better.

11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, call an ambulance and have one on standby cause it WILL be necessary.

I also write down my autobiography so that after the brain damage I can still remember who I was.

And while I'm at it write my will as well.

Skaistise and Westeller like this.
  12. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -snacks to keep my brain working
    -seal off ur entire room so that people can't hear u curse the mtl
    -a glass of water and an aspirin when ur head started to hurt
    -when u're done, get an ophthamalogist to check ur eyes

Refulgent and Mino Micha like this.
  13. gnessa14

Reading List:
    Link
    People's answers are so random (but hilarious).

Anyway, I use a Chrome extension called Word Replacer II. I add a list of cultivation terms (since I only MTL Chinese novels) and corresponding English words to it. For the novel I'm reading, I also add the main characters' names. And that's pretty much all I do.

Westeller and Astaroth like this.
  14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I don't know much about it, so I can't really say too much. But from checking a bit of the forum they seem to have quite some problems. Something to note in particular is that each novel can only have 20 chapters translated per week (assuming that people spend enough "bricks", otherwise it will be even less than 20, basically power stones like in Webnovel) ever since the last update.

So at that point unless the novel is already caught up to the latest raws, it's pretty much just another regular translation site like wuxiaworld and webnovel. The #1 benefit of MTL is that you can take a completed novel or one with a lot of untranslated chapters and instantly translate them all.

Besides that I don't really know how their translation process works, and they don't show the chinese raw so I can't trust them.

From what I've seen though the translations seem good, so if you just think of it as another translation site it's probably pretty good.

Though I also saw some comments on the forum talking about a lot of removed novels, some because of Qidian/webnovel, but also others talking about completed novels being removed and added to kindle. And again the whole point of MTL is to be able to translate all the chapters so you can read them all in one go, if the completed novels get removed then that's another self-defeating point...

tl:dr Babelnovel translations look good from what I've seen but they're more comparable to other translation sites than MTL sites like LNMTL and CM, plus there just seem to be some fishy stuff going on reminiscent of Webnovel...

p.s. also I have to admit that I'm a bit biased since I've been MTLing for years and have gotten used to having to make my own terms etc. to improve the translation, for people who expect to just read and not even look at the chinese raw; sites like LNMTL will obviously be a lot less attractive.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Westeller likes this.
  15. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Hide the knives

16. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

17. gnessa14

Reading List:
    Link
    What's LNMTL?

18. ThunderingSnow

ThunderingSnow Sipping up a cup of chaotic good...and boba

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe put it in Grammarly?

19. Mino Micha

Mino Micha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, get some knowledge on the novel you're about to mtl, just so you don't get utterly lost.
    Second, forget the English grammar rules and hone your skills in guessing the overall plot by the bits and pieces you can understand.
    Third, pray your brain can handle it and take a break once you reach peak frustration
    Fourth, re-learn the English language so you can scream about it with your friends

Astaroth likes this.
  20. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    Get pissed at gchrome's shitty translations and switch to the smart translate addon for firefox instead for less shitty translations. Then I just rage quit and go turn on my ps4 to kill something other than my brain cells.

Refulgent and Astaroth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.