Discussion Do you get easily offended?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HentMas, Dec 10, 2021.

?

Do you get easily offended?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Maybe

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  4. I don't know

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Can you repeat the question?

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW!!!

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just had a conversation with two people about two different subjects.
    One was amazed that in México we eat bugs, and asked me what did they taste like and if I caught them my self.
    Another one was a comment in relation to mental health and how I dealt with my moms schizophrenia growing up (very poorly), just sharing my experience.
    Both of them apologized to me saying "I'm not trying to offend you"
    How could I get offended?
    Even if what they were saying was disparaging of my ideas and experiences, How could I ever consider that offensive?
    One was genuine lack of knowledge on the subject.
    The other was just an experience, a point of view differing from his because of a personal experience that I understand doesn't apply to everyone or even him since that was MY personal experience.
    EVEN IF the one about bugs told me "You're gross" I would just laugh because that's just dumb prejudice and preconception, an ignorant statement, why would I feel offended by their ignorance??
    EVEN IF the one about mental health told me "you're stupid" I agree, I was stupid, a stupid teen that didn't know how to handle or even understood a person with schizophrenia.
    I don't tend to take points of view or experiences personal, everyone haves their particular taste, and even then their own bias is theirs, not mine, why would I feel offended by them??
    Idunno, I was genuinely perplexed by them apologizing for asking or making remarks about THEIR ideas, even if they were wrong (or right) I would never take them personal...

What do you think?

2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I am easily offended⋌༼ •̀ ⌂ •́ ༽⋋, In fact you question if I am easily offended offended me offended, ┌( ◕ 益 ◕ )ᓄ

asriu, TamaSaga and HentMas like this.
  3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like your way of dealing with what you described XD

HentMas likes this.
  4. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really? I mean, I don't see why would anyone get offended by words...
    At worst Ill think my own stuff about you and go about my day if you are rude.

5. RedHead

RedHead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "I'm not trying to offend you" is a phrase that is generally used around sensitive topics. Its like a just-in-case phrase. They could have just used it instinctively and said it without thought.
    But IMHO, it is very redundant:
    If a person wasn't offended by others inquiries, then the phrase is meaningless.
    If the person was offended, then the phrase can tick them off even more.

Baldingere and HentMas like this.
  6. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    Specially in the internet where you're quite literally just connecting with random strangers from all around the world! of course not everyone is gonna think or feel the same way you do, there is nothing offensive about that!

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I get offended by your breathing. :blobhero:

orematcha and IceLight303 like this.
  8. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    whatcha gonna do about it!?

IceLight303 likes this.
  9. invisidrag

invisidrag Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think your friends were more so trying to convey that they had no malicious intent in regards to what they have said. As for people getting offended I believe that every person has different things that they find sensitive and therefore get offended by. So apologizing about possible offence is more of a preventive action to minimize possible harm done to a person in case of a possibly sensitive topic that they are offended by.

Eru101 likes this.
  10. RedHead

RedHead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its obvious Elengee is requesting a duel to the death! :blob_thor:

Baldingere and elengee like this.
  11. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't duel, I forged my sword in war and don't know the etiquette of dueling, I could kill someone.

Baldingere likes this.
  12. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think intent matters. If someone asks a question with the intent of insulting me or disparaging me, then yeah sure, I'll get offended. But if they're genuinely confused or curious, and end up asking an untoward question as a result of that, then I think gently informing them that their words could be misconstrued while explaining things to them is a simple enough solution. Most open minded people will understand and see this as an opportunity to learn. And if they aren't willing to understand how their words could be hurtful, then it's no skin off my back. I'm not gonna waste time trying to change someone's mind, you know?

Baldingere, Eru101 and HentMas like this.
  13. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on the situation, I guess? There's some topics that you absolutely can't insinuate things on, e.g. my family, but whatever else sometimes I can't even tell you're trying to offend me

HentMas likes this.
  14. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm... I wouldn't really care about their intent tbh, I've always being of the "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words are gone with the wind" mentality... but I guess if someone was being confrontational up front in real life I would just tell them to F*off.

On the internet??? it's like reading the ramblings of a mad man, it makes me laugh more than offend me honestly.

astralmech likes this.
  15. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, if it's in the internet, I don't care one bit. You don't know me and I don't know you, so neither of us have enough power to truly hurt each other anyway. But if it's someone I know or am interacting with in real life, I gotta broach things a bit more carefully lol

Baldingere and Eru101 like this.
  16. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    an ant could fart seven miles away and someone would somehow find a reason to feel offended; people are so easily triggered right now.
    I get irritated easily but I rarely get offended by anything

17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people have eaten bugs. Most food we buy has bug parts in them. And yes, it is within FDA approval standards.

Plus, what do people think shrimp are? They are relatives of the cocaroach

I think people deal with a lot of stress, so a lot of things they may take offense to simply because they need to get the stress out. This is why you see some cases where a person would lash out on you for the silliest of reasons. For example, the mail man came over and I wanted to tell a family member who was waiting for the mail that the mail came, so I closed the door since it was blocking the hallway so I could tell them the mail came. The mailman lashed me for closing the door in their face. (do note the mail is put into the side box anyways, not by the door). But they took it personally. Probably cause they were in a bad mood and needed to vent their frustration.

The same goes for when most people get offended. Only 1/100 times is it due to actually being offended. And 99/100 it is either to vent frustration or make themselves feel like they are on a higher ground. Aka, self satisfaction.

18. heyaoi

heyaoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What if you had those two conversations every day for the next 5 years? It would eventually wear on you, don't you think?

19. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, did you say anything back?

20. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. I am not easily offended by logical and polite arguments and opinions. However, if you try to say something even a little bit offensive about my family, you will notice that my temper can be more explosive than a firecracker. If it's towards myself... I'm more likely to get sad rather than angry. If they are intentionally mean, I can also get snarky. But otherwise, I'm OK...? It's a bit hard to judge myself objectively, tbh.

Baldingere and HentMas like this.