Do you go on hiatus from reading something?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by myurikko, Nov 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myurikko

myurikko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it's common to wait for a bunch of chapters to drop and binge them later, but do you ever put a book off to the side because you're not in the mood for it?
    I'm not talking about dropping something because you think it's bad. I mean, enjoying or at least bearing with a novel, and taking a break to read something else.
    I've found myself doing that for the first time, and it's weird. I like what I'm reading, it's just that I don't feel like reading that today.
    What series are like this for you? Is it more common to stop reading for a long time, only to realize that you essentially dropped the novel?
    :blobpopcorn:let's hear

novaes, Jiggy, LetheanDragon and 6 others like this.
  2. Maomaomao

Maomaomao Cardboard cutout

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually get this when I mtl way ahead the current releases.

Rumby, Jiggy, KizunaAi and 5 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I postpone reading stuff but that doesn't mean dropping it

Rumby, Jiggy, KizunaAi and 6 others like this.
  4. Almaa

Almaa The Fool

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's the same. In the last 2-3 years since I've started reading, usually when im not in the mood for a novel that im reading, im just dropping it. Im rarely coming back to them, and when i do, it's usually because i simply have nothing better to read and not because i've just been waiting for chapters to pile up.

Yac78367, Jiggy and Maomaomao like this.
  5. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice timing, I am in that kind of mood too. Just before I was reading a bl mtl. Before I could read an entire thousand mtl chapter but right now, I don't want to read even a word at all.

I tried a apocalypse– rebirth novel earlier after dropping the first one, but I ended up being suffocated and annoyed because of the locked chapters.

Now, I'm exploring what genre will make me read again.

AmethystCherry and Maomaomao like this.
  6. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to read the latest chapters and decide to read something new or when reading something new, I get distracted and decide to read other things before coming back. Its understandable since what you want to read heavily depends on your mood and your interests so sometimes if a novel isn't compelling enough to keep your attention hooked, you may feel like wanting to take a break and read something else. This is especially true when it comes to stories that have repeating arcs like many of the Chinese cultivation novels.

Maomaomao likes this.
  7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I absolutely do this. I have a ton of books on my on hiatus list. They're mostly waiting for me to get into the spirit for them again. I have left books on such lists for years on end before coming back to finish them so it's a pretty useful practice. It's also a useful place to keep any books where I've managed to catch up to the author. I will sometimes straight up drop a book from this list, but I generally do intend to finish them eventually.

Nimroth, novaes and Maomaomao like this.
  8. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not finished stories/physical books, I either finish them or drop them and never try again. But ever-running webnovels, yes; I've put dozens on hold out of lack of interest.

All my NU novels are on hold, and a few Royalroad I just haven't felt like keeping up with:
    Savage Divinity
    Randidly Ghosthound
    Daily Grind
    New World
    Dungeon Crawler Carl

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Maomaomao likes this.
  9. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. I made a separate reading list for stuff I've started and liked but haven't been in the mood for.

Maomaomao likes this.
  10. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    all the time. i am a binge reader. if the series isn't at least weekly or twice in a week. I may forget everything about it. save chapters for a year. then come back and binge it again. I have honestly been spoiled by yoraikun and the legendary speed of translation of most of the shield hero web novel.

novaes and Maomaomao like this.
  11. myurikko

myurikko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I feel that. It's not even limited to the genre- sometimes the mood/theme plays a role too. I can read super-edgy, angsty action novels for a while, and then I'll move on the the fluffy/happier action...

12. ajohndoe

ajohndoe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the time. If I catch up to all the chapters of a novel then I wait 6 months before reading it again.

Maomaomao likes this.
  13. lady-kyo

lady-kyo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do this. Sometimes reading a novel that I like but I stop reading because I feel that this is not the right time to read. I don't understand why I do this, but I do.

14. Varsity74

Varsity74 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would stop reading just because I’m not in the mood.. then come back like a month later and forgot the last few chapters :ROFLMAO:

novaes, Maomaomao and TaffyGirl13 like this.
  15. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    I do this sometimes too.

Like I will not read it and made it stay within my reading list untill the day I now in the mood to read it. Or oftentimes, I ignore them afraid of being hanged on the cliff.

Hehehe

novaes and Maomaomao like this.
  16. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been on involuntarily hiatus of reading since covid began. Been too busy during the week to read (work in medicine) and the weekend doesn't give me enough time. So many stories building up.

Maomaomao likes this.
  17. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do this often. Sometimes I just don't want to read a novel, so I'll wait. Then two things happen 1:I get in the mood and read it in the next few days or 2: I forget about it then rediscover it later and catch up. This is completely different from novels that I drop, those I never pick up again.

novaes, Maomaomao and TaffyGirl13 like this.
  18. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I temporarily stop reading something whenever I read something I think is better. Afterwards I stop reading entirely because I'm not in the mood to read it. I have completely dropped cultivation novels and never plan to read any with that setting ever again(99% sucks and I'm not reading a mountain of trash to find a speck of gold) but I still have one or two in my reading list that I haven't completely dropped yet.

Maomaomao likes this.
  19. Cedar May

Cedar May Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did that with the Earth is Online. I love the book but I would need to take a break and even though I enjoyed it sometimes it felt like I was forcing myself to read it. I realise now it's because the book deals with alot of mind breaking concepts that I hadn't been introduced to before so I should have given myself a break to process every so often as not to burn out

Maomaomao likes this.
  20. Avil

Avil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do exactly that with KNM and Jujutsushi Wa Yuusha Ni Narenai they are great novels but slow as F so i let at least a year or two pile before reading.

Maomaomao likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.