Discussion Do you guys read novel with 2000+ chapter ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wick, Mar 7, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I was bored so i create this discussion.
    Do you guys read novel 2000+ chapter ?
    yes or no. And why ?

For me when i see there was more than 2000 chapter, what that came to my mind was repetitif plot, arrogant young master and hia whole family including his ancsetor, so i Will leave that novel.
    For 1500-2000 chapter i Will try to se synopsis and review of both was good i Will try read it.
    For 0-1500 chapter as long as i like the synopsis, the tag and genre was to my liking i Will try.

northerner and otaku31 like this.
  2. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really do not care about the number of chapters at all. A 2000+ chapter book is not bad by default. I usually read the reviews and see if it's long because of arrogant young masters or because it uses the ole "frog in a well" and there's actually an even more powerful place to reset the character's power level. I hate the former, but I don't actually hate the latter unless it's done so poorly that it becomes boring.

I don't know, in my experience web novels don't usually have a strong and coherent plot, regardless of the chapter length. So if authors still have the energy or new ideas and the story isn't dead yet, I say they should go for it. (With the exception of a strongly implied ending, they should probably make a sequel in that case)

3. Potato Tomo

Potato Tomo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only charm I see in 2000 chs novels is the setting and world-building. Aside from that, I only read those that has interesting or fun mc's.
    I'm reading Emperor's Domonation right now with 3000+ chs and I've re-read it once. I just like the solid setting it builds. But I can't really telll from the perspective of someone who haven't read novels with 1000+ chs bcoz I have atleast a couple of those.
    The thing is, you can tell if you will continue reading that novel on the first hundred chapters and you will stop at some point if it starts to be a chore reading it so don't be daunted by how many chapters there is.

4. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's good yes 2k is nothing to me

5. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of them that I have been following since before they got that far like Forty Millennium of Cultivation(started when it was at chapter ~80), Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God(Started at chapter ~400) and Legend of Futian (started at chapter ~50). I also dropped Martial God Asura somewhere around chapter 3000. I haven't picked up a new novel that was already at 2000 chapters though I have read a few that were complete with over 1500 when I started.

Wick likes this.
  6. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    For me because i read martial God asura and bringing farm to another world novel i feel little traumatik with 2000+ chapter i was rather confuse why did people like these novel ? Especially MGA that was at the top list at that time.
    I can't event finish read 300 chapter if my memory serve me right.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Duality likes this.
  7. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I am put off by 2000+ chapters. The repeated plots are annoying. You never know when it’ll finish being written and translated. Also I tend to lose interest so I have to put it on pause. And when I pick it up again I have to reread parts again to remind myself what’s happened before. It gets annoying really.

Nowadays when I find new novels I do check how many chapters there are. If it’s around 2000 and it’s complete I might add it to my list. If it’s still ongoing then I don’t bother.

8. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually i look at novel status description of there was 2000+ i said bye.
    As for novel that i follow usually as novel progress i Will always get bored at chapter 500-1000 then stop and when novel finish i jump to the end and side story of the novel.

9. Syahmuda

Syahmuda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My tolerance is at least 2000ish chapter. More than that i will drop it because of the repetitive writtng.
    Unless the novel that i read is solid like 1 incident is done in many chapter, rather than just 1 chapter for face slapping or meaningless conflict.
    Now im looking for a really solid novel without nonsense powerup/ world travel that is finished in 600-800 chapter. But damn this is rare af.

Wick likes this.
  10. Isabelle

Isabelle Always in love with potatoes (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Reading List:
    Link
    Wick likes this.
  11. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly never understood either. The way I rationalize it is by thinking about when I first started reading. When you first start reading you are introduced to a whole new world. You usually have no baseline to compare to so even if something is garbage, you probably won’t realize it. I’m hoping these rankings with MGA at the top are mostly determined by new readers and younger readers, because the world really might be cursed if people read it and genuinely believe it’s worthy of a perfect score.

aShinyVaporeon and Wick like this.
  12. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    I never read 2000+ chapter, if i read 1000+ chapter or until the end, that means it's really hook me, or i read it when it's still on early stage (200 chapter-ish)
    For me 1/2k is nothing, as long as it's good, im ready to go to that long journey

aShinyVaporeon and Wick like this.
  13. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i started many droped most of them.
    There are few problems with stories with over 1k chapters, repeat of plots with diffrent characters, the even geting bigger plot holes.
    For last the biggest problem because of it there other are unavoidable the must to weekly/months releas x chapters and with it trying to write a cliffhanger.
    I know they live or take some money for it but without rewriting and editing lots of the stories they will mostly never go up in rating over 3,5 of 5 points imho.

Wick likes this.
  14. Beren

Beren Holy Saint

Reading List:
    Link
    I did for a while but most authors just recycle conflict/plot ideas over and over. Often minor characters are forgotten and some storylines are completely discarded. I stopped since it feels like the first 200-400 chapters will be decent and quality falls as the author runs out of new ideas and must add more filler instead of just editing and cutting everything down. It may be because of the daily update format they're using - not much editing happens ever.

Wick likes this.
  15. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Xianxia, and xuanhuan, are usually about that length.
    In fact, it kinda feels short if it’s significantly less than that. For example, A Will Eternal has a tight plot with no filler, and goes to ~1300, but at the end I felt a phantom hunger for more

16. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe long web novels are best enjoyed when you read them day by day alongside the TL pace, and participate in the comments

grrman and Isabelle like this.
  17. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree, i believe binge read is not suitable, i really enjoy some long webnovel and didn't realize it's already 1k+ because i read them upon release day by day

18. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    They're not repetitive because they're long. They're repetitive because they're Chinese webnovels. The vast majority of them start repeating by the second or third arc, so even if it's under 500 chapters you're still going to have repetitive plot and arrogant young masters galore. From my personal perspective, being longer is a bonus because I have yet to see a CN webnovel end well, so the longer it takes to reach the inevitable weak ending the better.

I'm currently reading one japanese webnovel that's 2k+ chapters long. There's some repetition in certain running jokes, and the main character's methodology doesn't change too much (but he's basically pure chaos, so the actual resolution is different) from arc to arc, but there aren't really any abandoned plots/skills/characters up to the point I've read (~1400 chapters in), and the characters and their relationships slowly develop, and the world gradually expands with each arc. There's plenty of filler, but it evolves along with the protagonist and doubles as training and fanservice combined. And there's an actual overarching goal along with shorter major arcs and various subplots, but the protagonist's personality and training method brings out a slice of life feel that makes you go "wait, did he really just defeat an entire country like that?".

Anyway, my take on any novel is that if you're interested in the genre and tags, it's usually worth reading the first arc regardless of full story length. The stories that get repetitious usually have some sort of a satisfactory resolution at some point, and then the author was like "but wait! there's more!" and you can just stop reading there if you like. You don't really have to see your MC go to the immortal realm to be satisfied with what he's accomplished.

Isabelle likes this.
  19. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Currently reading Emperor's domination. But I usually read novels with 2000+ chapters if it's a quick transmigration, because it doesn't get stale; it has different plots, world building, and characters in each arc.

Isabelle likes this.
  20. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I need chapters in the 1500+ to read a novel cause I finish them in a few days I started a novel a few days ago that was 800 chapters and ongoing I finished it in like 3 days and I have to wait for it to finish before reading now cause I honestly can’t read one like every week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.