Discussion Do you guys read on-going translation novels on daily basis?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by RarestProGamer, May 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RarestProGamer

RarestProGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I for e.g can't handle cliffhanger if a translation speed of a particular novel is really good i mean daily chapters, i would read them after every 5 days for e.g i would stop reading a novel when i hit chapter 239 and then 5 days later, i would resume my reading and stop again at 244 then wait for 5 chapters again, as it also becomes really easy to remember at what chapter i have left it off.

-Usually an going battle or small arcs most of the time ends with in 5 chapters frame so for me reading them in one go rather than waiting doesn't destroy the flow for me too. Especially when the on-going arc sucks like your typical auction arc which lasts forever!

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All translated novels I read (in reality, only a couple of novels) update only once every week/10 days, so there's no luxury of stockpiling, not unless I want to go without reading materials for a month or more. :sushi_sigh:

3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. When every chapter ends on a cliffhanger, it doesn't matter if you save up.

4. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of demon and gods where author releases just one chapter every month. This was one of the first novel i have read on wuxia but unfortunately i had to drop because one month wait is too long. After every month, i keep on forgetting the name of the characters or the arc they are currently on or what they are doing!

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    otaku31 likes this.
  5. MeimeiXgreetsXNiangniang

MeimeiXgreetsXNiangniang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first I chose completed novels but there's not many good completed novels and I've devoured all the good ones already so I started reading on going translations too.
    But, I always chose novels that are completed by the author and doesn't have thousands of chapters. At least when I get impatient with the translation I could have an option to MTL the raws.

Hweianime likes this.
  6. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy hourly chapters

7. porkbuns

porkbuns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to read novels chapter-by-chapter as they are released. I find that reading like this gives me something to look forwards to on a daily basis (since i'm usually reading more than 1 story at once, at least one of the stories releases a chapter). Although, I tend to drop stories that only release like once a month (though, sometimes I do end up picking these stories back up again by rereading from the beginning). Like you said, by the time the next chapter is out, you've already somewhat forgotten what's going on in the story.

8. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    I straight up close the window when i see novel with 4k plus chapters and it still on-going both from author and the translator

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not exactly. I prefer to read when there's a decent stack of chapters, but after I catch up to a novel I'll usually keep up with it for a couple of weeks or so before I inevitably drop it to let it build back up again. Sometimes I keep up with several at the same time. So it's not really a consistent thing with me, but I do.

To be clear, when I say "let it stack", I do NOT mean for 5 chapters. With a lot of the novels around here, 5 chapters is nothing. No, I mean 100~500 chapters. Although that's different for novels that aren't as long.

I routinely drop novels for months at a time, before picking them back up. Some, I've dropped for years, to the point that I intend to just reread from the beginning when there's enough new content to make that worthwhile. Translation is often an incredibly slow process.

Hweianime likes this.
  10. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    100-500 CHAPTERS? How do you still remember the names of the characters after that long unless you have a really good memory. I forget the name of the characters hell even the arc if i stop reading a novel for a month!

11. OneeChanKyun

OneeChanKyun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They just start popping up in my brain when I read few lines of a new chapter~
    Idk why but it helps me remember them~

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I often don't, at least at first. I do remember more as I read, but for the most part names and things are too... specific? But I generally remember the ... characters, essentially. I might not know someone's name, but I sort of know who they are, what they've done? If that makes sense. And a lot is just context. Even if I don't perfectly remember the details of some character's role in the story, that doesn't stop me from understanding what they're doing and saying now. ... But if I've truly forgotten way too much and the story is incomprehensible, I'll just start over. If I don't remember it at all, then it's like I never read it!

I do sort of like the feeling of remembering things as I go, though. Like, something will happen that results from previous events in the story and I get that 'aha!' moment. It's kind of nice.

13. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, you guys are lucky for having such good memorization. I wish i could put a novel on hold especially when during a certain point of a story where MC loses his cultivation or other stuff and takes forever to get back on top again, the only thing that helps me is wikipedia the names of the characters which helps me remember who they are it is only when there ain't any wikipedia for the novel that situation gets pretty messed up for me!

14. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you’ve read a thousands and thousands of chapter worth of content switching between various books, you start developing a sort of skill to remembering certain very important details about either the characters if they’re interesting enough or the story. It’s less remembering the characters names and more about what their role is in the story.

15. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but only Cultivation chat group. I usually prefer to stack about 20-30 chapters before reading them

16. RarestProGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true in the most case, but it is really annoying when a character who has disappeared into the background for god knows how many chapters and suddenly makes an appearance and you don't remember who he/she is!

17. yayoi

yayoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, because I don't like cliffhangers :( I only read one ongoing novel right now, and I stopped reading it now and waiting for it to finish

18. Irlin-senpai

Irlin-senpai I ain't got a Clue(-chan)

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it depends on how interesting the current arc is + translation speed.

If I really like the arc, then I read whenever there are new chapters. And when I find it a bit boring or slow, I would stockpile it to finish that arc in one go.

But, lets say, the current arc is super interesting but the translation speed is too slow, then I mtl the raws.

19. CallMeJolea

CallMeJolea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A made a similar thread a couple of weeks ago and I found out that I was pretty much the only person (at least among the answers) that don't read any ongoing, I just read completed novels and completed translations. I do look for and save ongoing novels to read later, however I wait until they are completely finished before dive in.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I don't read much these days, so I don't keep up with anything... Back when I read more, I used to try keeping up with chapters as they were released though.

Nowadays, I just have a humongous stockpile of novels that I need to catch up to, and I catch up on whims. Pretty much the only one I still try to stay up to date with is Kenkyo.

RarestProGamer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.