Discussion Do you guys read raws or mtl

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by hariom123, Sep 9, 2022.

1. hariom123

hariom123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently just transitioned to reading raws instead of mtl because I feel like all the books I like mtled I’ve already read what about everyone else.

2. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, sometimes, if i really can't wait for the next translate chapter..

3. ryzesalvatore

ryzesalvatore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither. I would've read raws if I know Chinese. Regarding MTL, I had a headache trying to understand them.

4. hariom123

hariom123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you I use to not be able to read mtl a but I just got use to it and it’s fine for me now.

ryzesalvatore likes this.
  5. ryzesalvatore

ryzesalvatore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have my respect. I can't imagine myself repeatedly going through all those hells until I'm used to it.

6. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you machine translate it that means it is from raws. You can mtl any raws as long as it's txt.
    If it's Korean novel I mtl it from raw epub/txt i have. Mostly, for chinese novels online I just use Google translate on the browser.

If I can read the language then I would go for the raws of course but I don't know how to read chinese characters, kanji or hangul.

ryzesalvatore likes this.
  7. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    I read raw for japanese, and chinese novel, but I can't read korean raw. MTL hurt my brain cell more than RAW would ever do, so yep no MTL for me.

8. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Only Chinese mtl since I don’t know any other language besides English. And Korean mtls give me a splitting headache. I don’t want to even try Japanese mtl since Japanese like using puns a lot, from my experience.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would never read MTL because one of the joys of reading is in indulging in the prose and dialogue, looking at things like wordplay, and other clever uses of language. MTL loses all that and can only deliver plot. Plot by itself isn't worth reading so I'd stay far away.

On the other hand I read a lot of books in the original Chinese; in fact, I taught myself Chinese primarily so I could do this. Chinese seems to be a language that is easy to write well in and even bad writers can deliver some decent material. I find it much more rewarding than reading translations. I spot check from time to time, and the difference in enjoyment level can be staggering.

10. Catnap

Catnap Local Stray /ᐠ。ꞈ。ᐟ\

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL all the wayyy~ I don't have anytime to wait for the Novels to get fully translated I'm a very impatient person and curiosity kills the cat and not to mention some Novels would get dropped midway so now you are left with two choices
    a.) Wait for it to be picked up by another translator (more or less this is a rare thing especially if the said Novel is just average)
    b.) You MTL to finish the book

11. Aqua_the_idiot

Aqua_the_idiot my decisions are justified by my name

Reading List:
    Link
    I read Korean MTL of some novels and and let me tell you, at the started you will definitely get a very bad headache trying to understand what is happening but now that I am used to it my brain automatically makes the sentence more understandable.

Catnap likes this.
  12. miyeonaa

miyeonaa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL, because I just can't wait for updates or the novel gets dropped right when it gets interesting.:sushi_chubby: Sometimes I feel like I'm loosing my brain cells and my brain turns into mush, but oh well. I'm kinda used to it now.

Catnap likes this.
  13. EnduringConviction

EnduringConviction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For Japanese Light Novels, I read MTL, Because Japanese grammar is very difficult and much more complicated than English. I don't think I'll ever be able to learn N2 level Japanese.
    Based on my experience of using, google's Japanese translation is very bad.
    deepL cannot handle words that are exclusive to Japanese light novels. and deepl is full the glitch
    Sometimes it repeats itself, Or the appearance of non-existent sentences ex:"The first time I saw it, I saw it."
    There are other translation tools that translate better, but do not provide translation from Japanese to English.

14. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    BOTH!!!!!
    If the novel is that good and tempting that I can't wait to jump into the next part even if it has horrible Grammer and barely understandable words and sentences!!!!
    I wannnnaaa read it at anyyyycosssssttttt

15. hariom123

hariom123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how did you learn?

What website do you use for Chinese novels

16. FlufflyLittleRabbit

FlufflyLittleRabbit Fluff...Fluffy....FLUFFYYYYY!

Reading List:
    Link
    Both but I am more inclined to MTL (I only read the CN using this since it's easy to understand. Other languages except english and my mother tongue, give me a huge headache) because sometimes I can't wait and am eager to know what happened next so I used machine translation to read. There are also lots of Chinese novels that I find interesting and because no one translated those novels and since I can't understand Chinese so I can only resort to using mtl to read the novels.

I also reread a novel whenever I see someone translate the novel I really like.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The really old fashioned way: by going through old school manuals. This one specifically:
    [​IMG]

It got me into the basics of the language and vocabulary and then I properly learned by just reading. This is back in the day where online dictionaries weren't nearly as good as they are nowadays so I was mostly using paper dictionaries. Learning is hard, but probably not as hard as you think it is. And the it's so rewarding even if you don't care about webnovels!

If you know Chinese, webnovels are super easy to search out.

18. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once upon a time, all the novels I wanted to read (mostly BL) here were just not being translated (/slow-uncertain update)/hiatus/not got picked up. So?
    I dont have other option but to read raw/mtl.

19. Quackome

Quackome Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly only read translations because of availability , Cn raws often have a ' Author's Theatre ' that the eng translation ( fan & official ) doesn't have
    More than not you see 'mistranslations / assumptions / too stubborn to use they ' for characters that don't have a gender ( e.g. Slimes ) , characters that are meant to be ambiguous by the author, characters in disguise and all that
    Don't really have a problem with that but gender plays a surprisingly big role in how you see a joyful child slime ::bloblove::

20. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read MTL since I don't know any other language besides english