Do you judge books by their covers?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by otaku31, Jun 3, 2021.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can be novels, manga, webtoons, etc. I do. I can recall not wanting to read "Level Up, By Only Eating!" because the guy in the cover, presumably the protag, looks lame. I also tend to form an instant negative impression of books where the cover features a shota surrounded by an assortment of anime female archetypes. And a few other cover-types which I cannot brook. It's often not even about the quality of the cover art; it's the subtle clues, the insight the cover gives on the series' focus or ambience (tho, admittedly, they can sometimes be misleading). Are you guys the same?

Hazel00, aintg, Dr_H_16 and 8 others like this.
  2. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Cover and title. We are spoiled by the sheer number of choices that we have. It's honestly impossible to filter out web novels without doing this though. Although for me it's more often the title rather than the cover.

But if I find a novel through a recommendation, I'll usually give it a go even if I don't even like the summary.

Akemilly, AliceShiki, Dr_H_16 and 6 others like this.
  3. Tangshu

Tangshu Lady Of The Wind ☁️

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually no but if the synopsis is serius af like '500 year old demon cultivator returns and blah blah blah' but if the cover has a young dude with multiple women in it then for me it's usually a pass but if it was recommended maybe I'll try it. Same with the title.

aintg, aShinyVaporeon and otaku31 like this.
  5. Munimuyi

Munimuyi Chili <33

Reading List:
    Link
    I care a lot about the cover for some reason, If I don't really like the cover or maybe it just doesn't vibe with me it takes me a long time to even consider putting it in my reading list, no matter how many good reviews it has I'll still am gonna be reluctant ~ i don't understand it tbh~

Almaa and otaku31 like this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes. In manga it shows the mangaka's skill, in ln's it's either how generic or good it is. Also there's the synopsis and title.

Almaa, aShinyVaporeon and otaku31 like this.
  7. Silverfrost

Silverfrost Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only judge hentai manga covers :cookie:

8. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously, a good cover will be an instant eye attraction that makes you more likely to want to read the synopsis and then compare those two bits of info with the tags and genres.

It's also why I have so many damn korean novels in my interested sections, their covers just speak to me and create a good mental image of the MC's. That and the fact I'm hesitant to truly start reading them in fear of them ending up eternally unfinished due to DMCA by the companies.

9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. All the time.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually I focus more on the title and sypnosis.

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, but titles are usually more of a giveaway. And for these, it's mostly a matter of these elements raising red flags than anything. It's pretty straightforward with a lot of Japanese isekai novels: if the cover is festooned with a mass of vacuous anime waifus or the title is a million words long, it's not going to be a book that's worth checking out. There's very little information to be gleaned from more neutral covers so these won't factor into my decision for the most part.

That said, I'm always on the lookout for books with good female characters so any cover with a woman in good looking armor is a lot more likely to pique my interest. (In this case the armor being good looking is much more important than the woman being good looking :) )

otaku31 likes this.
  12. Silvania

Silvania Has returned to Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    A cover might help me find something I will find interesting, It can also be covering up a mess. They are both a blessing and a curse for attention grabbing. I'll try some of them but I don't have all the time in the world. So a cover might help me pick something up amongst a crowd of similar looking ones along with a title.

Akemilly and otaku31 like this.
  13. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An interesting book cover holds your attention to grab that book.
    An interesting title makes you turn the book to read the synopsis on the back cover (if it's a printed book).
    An interesting synopsis is what pushes you to flip the page and start reading the book.

Well despite all those criteria, you still need to read the whole pages to actually love a book ;)

Akemilly, Eldau and otaku31 like this.
  14. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    With novels, the covers don’t put me off, they can only be a positive influence for the most part... With manga, it’s prolly a very influential aspect coz it usually showcases the best of the creators art. With webtoons, tho I just click on the latest chaps to get a read on the level of art without actually reading anything.

15. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, it is quite possible that nh doujins with actual covers (as opposed to random page for cover) are probably more likely to make me click it but I cannot say the same for tl'd novels

otaku31 likes this.
  16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    With physical books i only bought the ones that looked good to me on top of the story. But i also wouldn't like second-hand books or library ones, so it's not entirely judging the book, but it's also not overlooking the effort and thought goes into a cover.

17. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it goes something like this
    1 cover art gets me interested in Reading what the title is
    2 Title gets me interested in Reading what the synopsis is
    3 synopsis actually gets me interested in reading the story

all three are very important but ultimately my decision is based on what the synopsis is

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  18. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to admit but I sometimes do the same. I always say to myself "don't judge a book by its cover" whether it's a person or book. but sometimes I just unconsciously judge it with cover (both book and person). there are many examples of manga or novel that I downloaded and kept ignoring unconsciously and only to find out later that the said book is actually crazy good.

otaku31 likes this.
  19. GamerGates

GamerGates New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but in novels not so much because they are the same to me

otaku31 likes this.
  20. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reason book covers exist is so people can judge them. Imagine if there were no book covers and every book just had a blank cover that was brown with only the title in Times New Roman. Imagine is manga, magazines, comics with no covers.....it would be horrible.

otaku31 likes this.