Do you like Polygamies in Novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnknownSaint171, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogspoison

Frogspoison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most everything was put on the backburner towards the end of MT, with almost all of the emphasis being on the final battle. There were occaisonal PoV swaps to his various wives. Overall though, MT was very well done, especially in the harem department. Wouldn't surprise me if it becomes one of the literature works thats a must-study, akin to all the 1800 novels, 80 years from now.

2. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A perfect example is Magika No Kenshi to Shoukan ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    It is the king of all harems. The best Harem novel I've read where the MC actually builds relationships with them and doesn't forget about them a few chapters later.

3. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe a good bit of that is due to societal views. Although it sounds fantastic from a male view point, having multiple women who can attend to you. On the whole polygamy was more focused towards the women. Forcing one to have to 'settle' or give up because they came later. Though it can be quite the headache is they do not get along, with the overall size of ones residence, especially in these stories being close to castle sizes they can mostly avoid eachother. Though sharing is never fun and can lead quite easily to jealousy, this is something the man is suppose to deal with. That is why although polygamy is understandable, to have it truly equal can be quite hard. Not only do you spread yourself thin, but you also can easily cause problems if you do not think your actions through. Though considering the hierarchical societies of having a main wife, secondary, concubine, ect. It leads to an established paradigm so it smooths a good bit out. With the attitude and basic respect most people lack these days, it would be quite hard to establish anything that would work. But in those days, it was quite literally beaten into young women how to act properly, and formally from the days they could start walking.

4. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Magika No Kenshi to Shoukan ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). One harem novel to rule them all.

5. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, that's too much praise. I've read Western Novels with better harems. Really, you find MT did it well with 3 wives for the MC? Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan is a 14 book monster read that features our MC having a harem with 3 diverse women. Between MT and Wheel of Time, I see the latter has better chances of being passed on as a work of literature.

6. Recklezz

Recklezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should say Polygamy in general, it is much more common in the middle east, India, Africa etc. I think atleast that their cultures have a different and more widespread view on harems, than for example China and Japan whoem are modern societies for the most part. For these cultures much of it is wish fulfillment that we see, written by author who could see that as a dream.

Re:monster gives a view of a more primal Harem, where the females are simply drawn to the mc because of power and the alphamaleness.

7. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe everyone should change the definition of Harem into Magika No Kenshi to Shoukan ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

8. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    its more of a harem but it actually serves a purpose and was forcibly made instead of simply meeting along a road

9. Rwings

Rwings Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems are easy for the author because they can have all the tropes and none of the hard part of giving them personalities. It serves as a crutch most of the time. Can't figure out what to do next? Have random bullshit harem crap fill the space since that can be recycled without end.

When done right its fine, but single romance is also fine. I'm personally not hung up on social convention that says you can only be with one person at a time if everyone in the relationship is fine with more. I just need it to be interesting and told well. To often the concept of a harem in an authors minds is to make a girls raison d'être be how to please the MC which is shit way to look at it.

Madan is probably the only one I've read so far that isn't like that and has a decent writer. Since in that story it doesn't feel like fan service. Yes there is fan service in the novel with random acts of seeing each other naked, but the romance part of the harem doesn't feel like fan service. The girls also don't lose themselves to their feelings and still have a life and act like they did prior to there feelings being there.

As for the question of polygamy I prefer that over what we usually get. Since it means sex/marriage wasn't the end game of the novel and shit can still happen even after two characters get together. I get I'm probably way over the age the novels I read are aimed at, but even when I was a teenager I don't recall hand holding/kissing being that big of a deal. I sometimes wonder if the novels are meant for 10-12 years old rather then 15-18.

10. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    rudeus did his harem justice and it was great even the holy cloth in his basement was amazing but near the end all the girls were more of just stay at home wives with less impact on the story unlike the beginning 3/4ths

11. YingYing96

YingYing96 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    author always create shit harem in story...
    mostly just one side feeling and it called harem...
    mc save someone and she fall for mc, also count as harem...

After read few harem stories, i like harem in TNH...
    Look most realistic to me with their progress...

12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    My main problem with harems in novels is that the MC doesn't sort out the woman that are in it, there is no arrangement for the duties or sleeping places. The woman just run around like a headless chicken doing what ever they want with no consideration to the MC or other harem members.

13. Yue Er

Yue Er Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverse harems aren't really for me. But for normal harems, I don't really like the mindless I-exist-for-the-sole-purpose-to-be-in-MC's-harem type. While those are okay in small doses (for their comedy), I tend to like legit harems when characters have a reason for being in them.

14. Recklezz

Recklezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree with the fact that the women act out of their own self interest, first of all why would they be with the harem-keeper if they did it for material gains? Secondly, When women in harems act out of their own self interest it creates too much chaos for the author to handle. let's say one of the wives goes to the beach, while another goes battling a dragon with the MC, it would just be weird. They usually stay in a group or are inactive with training that is uneventful. Some novels like LMS that is not really a Harem have different view point and interests for it's females, but the characters are also structured well, not like most harems.

In most Harems they sleep together in a big puddle in a king size bed. But in reality i would guess that they each have a room, and that they sometimes spend a night in man's bed.

15. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to get a good sense of polygamy, then watch the show Big Love.

16. TheCatWalk

TheCatWalk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, if there is polyshit there is no romance. Harem =/= Romance. Sleeping with multiple chicks is cheating on yer bae.
    Poke Poly and Harem.

17. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like many, I can tolerate harems. In fact, some stories are just better when the harems were manage really well and the characters were fleshed out well too. Mushoku Tensei for example.

oh, weird harems are interesting too. Like Sevens where instead of wanting a harem, he was forced to a harem by the very girl he loves. And Kuro no Maou, yanderes will always destroy harems since you can expect what happens to their rivals, but what happens if all the members are yandere?

The kind of harem where suddenly they want to be with MC for no/wtf reason like that is boring.

18. DeifiedHope

DeifiedHope Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems are nice, as long as you can expect a decent personality and interactions from the heroines. Tho, most of the time once their arc is finished, the heroines blend into the background. And most of the Jap is cliche heroines.
    As for reverse harems, I feel thats not a thing. As said in Mushoku Tensei, a woman can only bear one child at a time, but there was a demon king(if i remember correctly) that bore more than one at a time.

19. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    harem with 2-3 girl and with developed personality then is fine
    all the other shit, keep it for yourself.(specialy reverse harem:sick:).

20. NaM

NaM 『♔ Re dell'appostarsi』(The GentleMaN)

Reading List:
    Link
    So-so, it depends on the Mc and the harem Female's personality for me.
    also the way how the flow of harem how it was build!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.