Discussion Do you like slave harems?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffums, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Well? Do you like them?

1. Of course!

45.2%
  2. No way!

46.4%
  3. Reverse harem, maybe...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yuri only...

2.4%
  5. BL only...

1.2%
  6. I want to be the slave...

4.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I just saw a new update of Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World today and clicked through the reviews. I'm honestly surprised it has such a high rating (3.3/5.0) especially since most of the positive reviews talk about more bad points than good points.

Seeing that, I remembered a novel I saw a bit back that's much better in just about every way called "Let's Raise Heroes In Another World!" with a lot of similarities (guy goes to a game world, decides to make a slave harem, similar game mechanics, a few other things) but the protagonist is more interesting, the harem members are more interesting, the world/setting has more development, there are more recurring side characters, there's more ecchi/sex scenes (R-18), an actual story along with the slice of life... oh, and there are harem members who aren't slaves (the slave harem is a demon maid girl, a busty dark elf, a loli vampire, a succubus princess, and a dragon princess - chosen for talent and personality/purpose, not just beauty).

Anyway, what do you want from a slave harem novel, or do you just want them to disappear from the face of the earth? What kind of slave harem would you aim for?

2. Deleted member 36162

Deleted member 36162 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommend some plz for research purposes.

mrducky, KuroKaze and Fares like this.
  4. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Op protagonist and likable "slaves". like this
    Grasping Evil
    Sougen no Okite ~Shii Yatsu ga Moteru, Ii Buzoku ni Umarekawatta zo~
    Kujibiki Tokushou: Musou Hāremu ken
    Himekishi ga Classmate! ~ Isekai Cheat de Dorei ka Harem~
    I’ve Became Able to Do Anything with My Growth Cheat, but I Can’t Seem to Get out of Being Jobless
    Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

adam2502 and Fluffums like this.
  5. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slave harems are harems but worse because the person doesn't even have the merit of having seduced the members, of having put work into the relationship. It's even lazier than usual harems. And possessing a slave harems doesn't say anything good about the character, he might be insecure and trying to overcompensate or a pervert that can't get a date.

Mahou-nii-sama and Fluffums like this.
  6. Lazy ninja

Lazy ninja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already dislike normal harems(but I won't pass on an interesting story simply because it's harem) and slave harems are worse. As for me.. I'd probably just keep one girl for myself and ship the rest with each other.

7. Grimnights

Grimnights Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh just like any trope it just how they use it. I tend to prefer stories to uplift said slaves out of a bad place or get the slaves due to talents they have. Useless harem members are just ugh.:(

Sabruness, Fluffums and GrimVeilRule like this.
  8. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only and that's absolutely only for hentai, as an actual story they disgust me. If I just want to get off and need somethung dumb to satisfy me, they may be okay, but in anything close to something I have to even vaguely believe? No, absolutely not.

9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    2 votes wanting to be the slave, step right up and i'lll either sell you for nuffies or exploit you. :blobthinkingsmirk::blob_pompom:

Fluffums likes this.
  10. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that depends if you are talking about the novel. The answer is Of course. If it is about the plot device slave harem depend on the author ability and plot.
    Slave harem in the labyrinth was one of the first to use slave harem so it is classic just because of the inovation that is why the rating is higher than normal.

GrimVeilRule and Fluffums like this.
  11. Fluffums

Reading List:
    Link
    There's actually a slave harem tag which should have most of the novels on NU... if you're okay with japanese I can probably rustle up a few decent ones from nocturne, but I can't think of any original English stories like that off the top of my head.

12. adam2502

adam2502 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your just too righteous, he may be a pervert, but that doesn't mean he can't get a date, it's just to make life easier on himself, no infighting cause they don't have rights, and since when in a harem does mc seduce the heroines, he just saves one, she wants in his pants, so her friends and family do too, and then he gets op and princesses want some too to tie him down

GrimVeilRule and Fluffums like this.
  13. arrogantyoungmaster

arrogantyoungmaster 20 Nuf = 1 face slap to make your day better

Reading List:
    Link
    no way i like such immoral novels i'm a respectable man (n)

Fluffums likes this.
  14. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slave harem in the labyrinth is a god-awful novel. Literally the worst. Not because of the slave harem, the writing and story were just abominable. From what I remember, it was just a daily log of his grind through dungeons.
    Pretty much this ^^. I'm fine with slaves in stories, but slave harems are basically the epitome of JP MCs - so beta they need to buy a slave (and even then, the slave probably chose the MC).

Fluffums likes this.
  15. Fluffums

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, and I didn't really mention my own thoughts.

I like the idea of a slave harem and would probably go for one if I ended up in one of those worlds. Because I'm a horrible person, but also because it makes sense to employ slaves (the ones that are magically loyal) if I can afford them, and if I can choose who I'd want to be surrounded by it's beautiful women.

... But there's something a bit off about the master-slave dynamic in most slave harem novels. The master works tirelessly to make the slaves happy, does all the work except when the slave insists on doing something specific, does all the important fighting and coddles the slaves if they're fighting, provides the slaves equal or better living conditions to himself... I end up wondering sometimes if we've been reading it wrong and "slave harem" means "slave to his harem"...

Omnicast, Solracmar and Sabruness like this.
  16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Depends on how they do it as to whether its good or bad.

I wouldnt say it's god-awful but being a 'hardcore' slice of life, it doesnt really go that far off the tracks.

I answer yuri slave harem because yuri is best but i'd also answer a conditional of course.

Fluffums likes this.
  17. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    ...a slave harem ?
    Well, somehow it seems more logical than a regular harem,
    I never read one, but I will suppose that it depends on how it's used.

Fuyuneko, Solracmar and Fluffums like this.
  18. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slice of life is exactly that, a SLICE of life. Not every damn mundane task the MC comes across -.-
    I really hated that novel. I mean, was it really necessary to describe the 1st dungeon floor in the same detail, every dungeon run? :cry:

Omnicast, Sabruness and Fluffums like this.
  19. Galaxii

Galaxii Anon-san

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Ogagon

Ogagon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry. Even if I do read novels in order to get away from reality, I don't want to be that far away. I'd question my morality if I found slave harems fun, or as someone said, "logical".
    There's nothing logical in a reincarnation novel for the MC to get a harem just because he can.
    Of course, if you're an S, or just looking for "fap" material, sure, slave harems are good...
    I find slave harems disgusting, though I get more disgusted with the author, rather than the novel.

Of course, just my opinion.

Fuyuneko, Fluffums and Varno like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.