do you spend a lot of time at a pc?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GrimReeFer, Mar 17, 2019.

1. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea if this has been done already, or where it is supposed to go, so I am sorry for either, It would be amazing If a doctor has done this already or would though.

I Have been suffering some health issues from repeated long term PC use and little exercise, I think It's only right I spread the word a little so others don't repeat my foolishness.

A number of things can happen, but I will stick to what has happened to me and what I have tried. some of this can help prevent bad stuff but I would advise seeking a doctor over reading this, I know from personal experience that is not always an option though.

So over the years of using the pc and being very lazy my posture for starters has become very bad, using a mouse and keyboard repeatedly has made my arms and fingers stiff, I have shoulder pains, back pain and allot of numbness, I'll post below some videos that I have found help relieve my pain, but i still suggest seeing a doctor.

most of this stuff does not take allot of time, you can do it easily.

for the Eyes
    F.lux
    This is a Program I recommend Everyone download, F.lux, all it does is change the lighting settings on your pc, once it starts to get late at night the screen will get darker (looks orange) It really saves your eyes, and helps you get to sleep easier because you haven't had to put up with bright lights and it's easier on the eyes.

for your hands
    (They could be anywhere from stiff or you could feel numbness/pins and needles)
    these are mostly precautionary, you should do these even if your hands are fine, but if you hands are pretty bad then mostly check out the second one.

For shoulders
    Now this one worked wonders for me, the first time I did it I felt amazing but it will take a little exercise but it's well worth the effort! All you have to do is hang from something (push up bar) like a monkey for as long as you can. (think I lasted 20 seconds at first)

an easy one.

For the back.
    for your lower back

If you would like to fix your nerd neck?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIsx1t8TJq4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7ZWPCWv0U

Gaming and using the pc is fun, but if that is all you do and you don't exercise? It becomes painful, please exercise.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have PC... But thank you for these. I'll try them.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  3. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    These are exactly what I need right now, thank you! Also, aside from all those you mentioned, there is also a chance people who are on the computer for long periods of time may get carpal tunnel. Take breaks in between, because if you get carpal tunnel, you may have to get surgery.

4. GrimReeFer

Reading List:
    Link
    It also counts towards console users?

carpal tunnel is covered in the video for hands

5. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for sharing this
    I recently got a lower back pain :notlikeblob:

6. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    That's because you're using it wrong.

Get chair with a backrest and don't treat it like a sofa. Hips far back and maintain a proper upright posture while sitting. Chair slightly angled backwards, not excessively.

Feet on the floor and knees slightly below or same height as your hips. Those of you hugging your knees to your chest is terrible posture.

Screen at or above eye level. Keyboard directly in front of you. Use an ergonomic mouse and not some cheap flat mini mouse.

Mouse and keyboard at elbow level and directly in front of you. Wrists should be resting.

Laptop is bad for you, it's designed totally for convenience only. The laptop keyboard and track pad is terrible. If you're lying in bed and using it your posture and ergonomics are also terrible.

AMissingLinguist and unknown14 like this.
  7. unknown14

unknown14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you men

8. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    I already exercise and know this but thank you for promoting this.

9. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never had any of these really, because I can relax my back myself by taking certain postures when lying down. I'm always careful about the sitting posture due to my previous back surgery, and I always make sure my hands don't sit in wrong way, or for long.

Your post is still good one op, but I feel like you should also add things like degradation of eyesight that can happen with too large/bright monitor too close. As well as problems with legs from long term sitting, like stiffening due to you essentially sitting on some nerves with your feet often being constantly in same positions.

10. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah gotcha, sorry, hadn't seen the video yet, just saved it. But thankfully it was covered in the video!

11. GrimReeFer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I suffer from those too, I just haven't tried them myself, so I didn't want to post them, if you know of any videos with good exercises I can post them

edit, never mind, just remembered about f.lux for the eyes, thanks for the reminder.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My office work is basically me and the lappy. Home? Me and the lappy for entertainment.

13. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use the mousepad with the wrist rest. Same with the keyboard. Then again i don't really use my pc more than 5 hours. Don't wanna get new glasses cause my eyes keep getting more blurry.

14. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I was about to download that when I wondered why Windows 10 wouldn't have such a feature already. So I looked and, sure enough, it was there.
    Settings > Display > Night light settings
    Doesn't have all the extra options F.lux does, but I doubt I'd ever use those anyway.

15. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    This good. Thx! :blobgift:

16. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The f.lux is a good step, but you should also remember to keep good distance from your computer screen. And if possible, keep a good lighting in the room you use your PC so the screen isn't the only bright source of light in otherwise darkened room.

As for legs, it's important to stretch your legs and walk a bit after being on computer, it'd be best if you could take a short (5-10 minutes) walk after being on your PC for long periods of time.this keeps your legs from getting too stiff.

A general advice that is good against any problems related to being on your PC is having breaks, even as small breaks as just going to toilet every hour or so.

These are things I have noticed to help with keeping eyes and legs from getting issues from personal standpoint.
    As background, I used to sit for hours (sometimes 8 hours a day) on PC, often in dark rooms at night. I also had a large TV screen as my monitor since my laptop screen broke.
    Afterward I noticed my eyes having trouble focusing, having these odd feeling "blind spots" in my sight that eventually went away. As well as having painful feeling at my hips especially whenever I had to move.

After I started taking occasional breaks, having habitual walks especially after long sessions, doing away with the TV screen and always keeping my lights on, these problems didn't really bother me again.
    I do know however that my eyesight has been permanently damaged to a degree, but the blind spots and focusing problems have more or less disappeared.

mir likes this.
  17. Reward

Reward Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m mostly on my phone. Playing, watching and reading.. :blobphone:

18. bbctheory84

bbctheory84 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THe pc and cellphone is my sole reason to live.

19. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for sharing! I don't work in front of the pc, but my work also gives me hand cramps. It happens mostly when I overuse my hand for pipetting. :blobdizzy:

20. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    Pipetting eya?
    *Had to look it up*
    OH... that's pipetting....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]