Discussion Do you think the writing of Shield Hero is bad?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Skyreader, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Is it?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

43.5%
  2. No

46.7%
  3. No, its mediocre

9.8%
  1. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I guess, some books you like better than others. For example, my favorite book in all of the index series is book 3, its just simply my favorite. Even though i think the writing level of the index series gets better past that point. I feel the same for the monogatari series but yea those two books should give you a idea of what to expect.

I would have voted for no its mediocre, I read it for the rpg elements cuase Im a sucker for videogame elements and raphtalia and filo being fluffy, not becuase of plot.

I think most people would consider the writing level to Monogatari higher even if they didnt like the story or the way it is written. For example, i know some people who don't like monogatari becuase all it is is dialog and very very little stuff actually happens.

The only thing I hate is that I cant buy the book digitally as of right now.

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't mind my asking, why do people like the turtle subjugation so much? Honestly, the fighting in Shield Hero never appealed to me. However, I recently heard it is one of the most well-received arcs.

You should try DenYuuDen. And this is not just because I'm running a pick-up thread for it. :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
  3. Skyreader

Skyreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3rd option added

4. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally like it, i hope someone picks it up too :blobsad:. Although i will say motivation and hype for the series is low since its been so long.

5. IAmViruz

IAmViruz FGO Degen

Reading List:
    Link
    Early? Isn't it already finished? The webnovel I mean.

6. Kawaiing Megane

Kawaiing Megane Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't mind me spoiling a little bit if you're never gonna read the novel.

Basically it was the first subjugation that held a massive impact on the world and where all the major players were set up.

The 4 main and some of the 12 lesser heroes were there and the turtle was incredibly huge and powerful and had some kinda beam attack. Somebody important dies. Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to know who and why they're important.

One of the close beastkin to the mc, a white tigerkin, dies whilst protecting him from the powerful attack saying "you've always protected us, but there was never anyone there for you"

In any case if was one of the more dramatic happenings and to me it was very unexpected and had quite the impact on shield hero.

Nanashy likes this.
  7. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's explained why in the beginning, but yeah the other MCs are stupid/apathetic to the situation

8. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    There will be story spoilers and no I'm not gonna put them in brackets cause phone and I'm tired. I'll do It later.

It's a web novel, what do you expect? Web novels range from any age when the author can figure out how to type on a keyboard. It's not like these novels go through proper editing or a publication company before it's made. Hell only reason why webnovels get publish into lns and manga is because it gained popularity and has a reader base. That's when the novel can get edited and given proper book writing protocols.

1. The heroes age range from middle school to college. Bow, sword, spear, and shield. Two of them are teens and two are barely adults. Like legit only 2 of them have any outside world experince out of their bubble. Spoiler: spear, sword, and bow come from a more futuristic world than shield. Think of shield being from the 80 to 90s kid while the rest are from the year 2010 when raging about sjws injustice is a thing. They're dumb and dont bother looking up the full facts.

2. The kingdom is hostile to the shield because of prejudice. The previous shield abandoned humans to help the beast kin who the humans hate. Thus forming the 3 heroes church. The king is legit bimbofied by the oldest daughter. Spoilers: the evil rape princess is a fragment of a evil goddess that used her influence to make the king a dumb bimbo. The kingdom is corrupt and so is its religion. Which is why the queen needed the support of the shield to give her proper justification to root out the nobles and religion.

The people assumed 3 heroes was enough and that the church relic would be enough to stop the waves. But u know people r up their own asses.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    The other heroes are basically kids who think they're in a game. Japanese people are also stereotyped as being repressed as a people as they strictly following 'social norms'. They're also susceptible to control from authority figures (in this case being the king and the princess). They just listen to whatever they're told and don't think for themselves because that's what they're used to. They also think they're in a game and people normally don't doubt NPCs in game (at least they usually don't in the MMORPG that they think they're playing.

The villains are just being villains and the other heroes have just been tricked. Naofumi was also tricked, what more do you want from the story? If you don't like it then feel free to drop it. The other heroes aren't going to change that much anytime soon.

I honestly thought the author explained it pretty well. The king and 'his' kingdom represents the entrenched belief of human superiority which the heroes have been brainwashed into believing. Naofumi is the first to break free of this belief because he was betrayed. He gathers companions who aren't human and fights against the social norm. A very regular theme in isekai novels.

Nvm, I see that you're reading the manga. The manga skips a lot and doesn't explain things in detail. It's like reading a summary of the story.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Lurker of the dark and Milanin like this.
  10. Kawaiing Megane

Kawaiing Megane Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw whatever happened with raphtalia being of the tanuki beastkin.

Was that something that was ever resolved Becoz if I remember correctly she definitely stood out from her peers as being far more beautiful than all the other tanuki like in a plot device way.

Did something ever happen with that or was that just said for the sake of saying she was beautiful

11. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    well if you count owning a shield as a race they are fairly racist desu

kenar and Lurker of the dark like this.
  12. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    This

13. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    She was a mythical beast race. A princess of sorts. There a island of her species.

Pretty sure she's a red panda.

14. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    So you're reading the most annoying arc again... sure if that's what you want to do. You could have just continued reading the novel from where you left off. You knew what you were getting into by rereading it again so I'm not sure why you're ranting now.

Also stop double posting.

15. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah no. The more i read the further down the list shield hero falls.

16. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, moment he started his village, everything basically became a filler/training arc for the WN. Havent read the ln yet. But the lack of a overarching Villian during the 2nd half really kills it. Becomes a slice of life novel. Lost hella momentum. Then the sjws whip hero shows up and gets gang banged a few chps later and u wonder how this idiot got fooled too

Milanin likes this.
  17. BLKCandy

BLKCandy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finished the WN or LN, can't remember which. I lost interest half way and just pushed to see the ending which was... disappointing. It also went on too long for the scope of the main story.

The story wasn't good, but also not to the level I'd call it a crime against humanity. Most importantly, it sells.

18. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... You're saying that compared to Tate no Yuusha no nariagari, Mushoku Tensei isn't bad writing?

Lurker of the dark likes this.
  19. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    May I know which post you consider as double posting?

Yes, not much character made irrational decision there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
  20. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so... all character must make rational decision ? no intentional irrational character ?

Milanin and Lurker of the dark like this.