Discussion Do you think the writing of Shield Hero is bad?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Skyreader, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Is it?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

43.5%
  2. No

46.7%
  3. No, its mediocre

9.8%
  1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not that far, still in the average limit

2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Any time you post twice in a row is double posting. So... this post counts as part of a double post.

3. Skyreader

Skyreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, if there is one it should be explained beforehand. Without it, the story feels unnatural and cheap. It's not enjoyable to read something like that
    I see I thought it's posting same thing twice. Is it forbidden here?

4. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the story isn't bad because of what you posted, but because of events later on and how the characters developed.

if you haven't already noticed, nobody actually wanted naofumi as a hero. infact they wanted him gone. the rape accusation was just something that gave them an excuse to officially get rid of him.
    not to mention that he was the only one who was against the idea of being a hero so he was something they wanted to get rid of even more.

also note that all of the other heroes actually believed that they were playing an mmorpg and this was mentioned several times. in fact, the other heroes outrightly said that even if they died, they would just respawn. to which naofumi just went "Wtf"

as for your 2nd point, again, they didn't want naofumi to be a hero.

anyway the entire plot is basically "naofumi is the only "sane" person." and naofumi basically has to "Wake up" the rest of the heroes.
    one gigantic plothole that was never addressed was that all of the heroes went insane or had a part of their personality removed EXCEPT NAOFUMI.

this wouldn't normally bother you until you read on and proceed to a certain part where naofumi too, goes crazy.
    and when the shield loses power of a minute, naofumi pervy side appears.

personally i think this is his "real" personality. RMB, IRL before the events started, he wasn't a popular guy and was a hikkomori/otaku.
    many people say that his disinterest in females were caused by bitch, but he was already very rational and not affected by bitch's seduction at the very start.

of course this is just my speculation because in the end, mc goes on to become god or whatever but the shield never goes power for some odd reason, nor does he ever "recovers" and stays the same. infact mc even proceeds to chop himself into two.

tbh, if it was actually said that the shield stripped away the pervvy side where he cannot talk to girls or leer at them, the novel would actually be very good IMHO. but honestly i just cannot recommend it or say that it is a good novel because of how the mc acts.

he is just too logical the entire time and people are not just like that. in fact, expecting a perfect mc isn't realistic and only readers who read boring xianxia enjoys such books.

kenar and Lurker of the dark like this.
  5. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than perfect MC I'm expecting good/believeable/rational side characters

6. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    ??

And cant exactly comment on it since I have neither seen the show nor read any books/manga of it.

7. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    *rapist :blobsweat:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    then u will find tons of damaged and recovering side characters here.

the side characters are good and they dont act irrationally unlike what OP said. OP misunderstanding seem to seem from the lack of information (that either arises from him forgetting stuff, skipped dialog, or just the manga being bad and missing alot of information)

edit: o wait you are the OP.
    so like i said, either you forgot or ignored some facts like the other heroes saying that they were in a game at the very start or the manga skipped these information because these will be repeated and drilled later on when MC meets them much later and explains how they were ok many suicidal acts of heroism that the the king asked them to do

Milanin and Lurker of the dark like this.
  9. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    .... She will be nailed down, unlike other books where annoying side characters are kept alive for a long time....

10. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why I hate alot of xianxia, vrmmo, mmo, and etc novels that has a mc with a personality of a cardboard but is logical as fk. They are a robot and I find no enjoyment in reading it. I like a character with some flaws or at less a personality.

That's not the point of the story, the author made the characters at the start to be irrational to stir your emotions of hating them. Then gave legitimate reason later to like them.

It's called character development. Authors make flawed characters to develop their personality along the way.

You're not gonna get fully deved chars off the back as main casts unless you are reading even shittier books.

Ln>manga are horrible for info dumps. Yeah it's missing alot of info.

Honestly, this is the wrong book for op to read. Judging by his taste.

Milanin and Lurker of the dark like this.
  11. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yea china is getting bored of these novels too and is craving for more good pieces of literature, but it is still pretty new for the rest of the world.

which is why novels like path towards heaven and sacred ruins which are bad is so popular right now on qidian and being praised as good.

it's almost as if literature went through an entire reboot from 100 -> 0 and then back to 40 and slowly getting better now

almost everyone on NU/WW/WN loves these wn where the mc can magically predict the future, is super smart and super bad ass and young arrogant masters who were dropped on the head when they were a baby.

just look at the most popular novels on lcd right now. none of them have any semblance to a good book.

12. darksaint124

darksaint124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was the first isekai novel I ever dropped. The first isekai I ever read was Zero no Tsukaima, back before the first season of its anime started. I made it through Mushoku Tensei, even though at a certain point the story goes off the rails hardcore. Even with that MC being the worst and breaking one of my main rules about fantasy (stone bullet is just a gun with unlimited ammo, some originality please.) I still stuck it through. And a bunch of other isekai I read just to pass the time, but Shield Hero is the first I dropped. That should tell you something.

13. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read the manga up to chapter 50. Honestly it's not as bad as I remember it when I read the web novel version.

14. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a caharacter designed to be hated, remind me of that certain character in dating sim game, someone in youtube praise her as that, forget which game, i think it's katawa shoujo

making good character is hard, making good shitty character is equally hard.....

15. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    WN was just like a drugs, even its not very good but you couldnt stop reading it

16. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there should be a limit on both fronts. Like in this story case the princess who cried rape should have turned the fast on the shield hero side when she finds out he is super powerful because she is someone who is a gold digger. Yet, until her death, she defined logical and still try to hate on the MC.

I understand why she accused him of rape in the first place but she keeps doubling down on it for no reason besides she has to.

17. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Jesus, that is depressing.

Because the manga is the filter version of the light novel which got filtered from the wn. Hopefully they fixed the 2nd half problems.
    Yea, making a good evil character is hard. Cant deny that, author gotta know how to play with people emotions. dunno the game. I dont really look into dating sims.

She doubled down because she go fked up hella hard throughout the story by shield while she held the upper hand. Her madness for revenge of course would block her judgement. Not to mention shield would rather give her a instant death sentence than accept her as a party member.

18. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I read everything, it just didn't appeal to me. I thought
    Atlas survived until they thought Suzaku or whatever the bird was called

19. Kawaiing Megane

Kawaiing Megane Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It be like that sometimes.
    Yea I did feel like her "surviving" did take away the impact

20. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah to me she felt to calculating. getting everyone to hate the MC was masterful but then she does an 180 and kept doing stupid stuff that at the end got her killed.