Does a game have to be difficult for it to be fun or do I just not get it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Silver Snake, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I really liked games like CSGO and Nioh. But I eventually got bored of them, because I "figured them out". I mean, I was able to do the at first complicated/difficult things quickly and easily. Sure, in souls-like games, you have things to memorize, like the boss's attack pattern, but that just feels like a puzzle.

I tried puzzle games like monkey island and zero's escape, but oh my god, they felt like so much work. Like I don't get how people find escape rooms fun, for me, it just feels like work. I'm thinking about this thing nonstop, until I figure it out. And it usually doesn't even take me that long to figure out, and have you ever tried thinking? It's exhausting! So what do I get for my troubles? I become more mentally tired and I move on to the next phase.

People say they don't like Death Stranding because it feels like work, so maybe some people agree with me?

I do like games without challenge though, games that don't focus most of its time on gameplay, like Stardew Valley. I know that game isn't trying to be difficult and enjoy how automatic the farming feels, and talking to the townspeople.

I like visual novel games like Va-11 Hall-A and Disco Elysium because it's just about getting to know the people of the world.

I don't know. I don't get how people enjoy challenge. It just feels like it's artificially made to exhaust people.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course game doesn’t have to be difficult to be fun. I’ve played a million Pokémon games and know exactly how to win every scenario they put me in. Does that make it less fun? Of course not. We all have styles of games we like. Some people like competitive games, some like puzzles, some like roleplaying, some like strategy. You kinda just have to feel out games till you find your style. I learned that mine is roleplaying games like Digimon, Pokémon, or persona.

3. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun is subjective.

Citation? I played Runescape for 3000 hours.
    200 of that was fishing on the same tile for a cape that does basically nothing.
    Another 300 was me running around rooftops in circles with my pet squirrel and another cape that does basically nothing.

I do like lore and atmosphere though, like Darkest Dungeon.

4. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been playing Creeper World 4, I would call it hard but I still find it fun.

In the end "fun" is subjective.

5. endel

endel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fully of the opinion that a game does not have to be difficult to be fun. I always play on easy mode, and actually don't like it when the game I play in my freetime gets too difficult, bc I get frustrated very quickly. I often play only for the story or for the character development lol.
    But many of my friends like their games extra difficult bc they enjoy a challenge. I think everyone enjoys it differently, and that's okay. That's the reason for multiple difficulty modes in games after all!

6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Game just have to be fun but thing is what's peoples find fun can be hardly uniform so gamedev usually would narrow down their target audience and built the game based on what their target audience correspondence find fun.
    I mean like some people only want to see anime tiddies but some people else likes the plot whereas others likes flat breads.

7. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because there's a certain satisfaction that can only be obtained by challenging your current limits and exceeding them. For instance if I play a game and just succeed at the game without any difficulties I get bored. And yes, solving complicated puzzles is work especially if you're firing away with all of your brain cells. But it's really really satisfying when you succeed.

Mind you if I'm tired from work or other real life stuff, complicated puzzles/challenges isn't what I'm looking for from a fun factor. I'm just looking for stress relief.

8. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been playing No Man's Sky. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it's got lots to do and see.

9. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being difficult can help a game. But I thing being varied is more important. It needs to keep the player busy without the person realizing it. That requires a subtle balance between new and familiar. It’s why older popular games get regular updates. They know they need to give people something new mixed with the old to keep people playing

10. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not necessarily. The most fun I've had playing games was running Pokemon on emulator though I didn't even like the Pokemon anime. Even something mechanical and repetitive like fishing for the perfect Feebas was surprisingly addictive.

Though, in the end, it's different strokes for different folks, not to mention different moods.

11. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    like anything else people could like or dislike, it is subjective

your taste also change as you accumulate experience (life or otherwise), grow, be in different environment/stress level

12. Crywolf641

Crywolf641 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It all depends on what you feel.
    I had fun playing doom eternal because of the action and blood it provides.
    I had fun playing rts games like total war rome 2 and warhammer
    because of the gameplay they provide. I get lost playing them for 13 hours straight.
    I had fun playing rainbow six due to the competitiveness it provides me.
    So yes it all just depends on what FUN is for you.
    Different people ha e different views on what they consider fun after all.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it old question which the answer is nope~ before video games era still nope~
    some people like competition, some for relaxing, some for problem solving, some for just pass time~

now what is difficult game?
    is it game mechanic?, thing that require precise control or complex tutorial lol~
    is it the type of game? you good are fps ok how about try to play rts or grand strategy type(forget da exact term for it basically strategy game turn base stuff) or hell bullet trolololol

as long as you think its fun then thats it~ this cat sometimes not understand why some cats like to bragging difficulty of a game they play to undermine other game~ well maybe that bias view this cat get from see youngsters play some popular game then mock other who play hmm more casual game~

anyway just look at children who play pretending stuff oh wait it call role play, games is like that~

14. platys51

platys51 Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy building stuff up. Its not difficult, its just fun.

15. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People like overcoming challenges. Finally breaking through that wall that had blocked you time and time again gives people satisfaction.

16. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, everyone has their own tastes with games. For example, I really like rouge like games like Barony and Noita since there's a definite goal you're working to and the only thing holding you back is your ability to play the game well. On the other hand, I really like story driven games that don't make me do much work other than read the story.

17. platys51

platys51 Tired

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever played Dead Cells? Fun game~

18. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no univeral answer avaible

some like a short, easy fun
    other want to overcome challanges
    other instant glorification
    others spend several thousand hours to build for example their ideal town/city
    and it dont even need others sometimes its just a question of the mood what you are looking for

play what you want and how you want should be fine as long as you have fun and dont destroy the fun for your teammates (if there are any)

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye

Silver Snake likes this.
  20. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The multiple reasons answer is the most correct.

I can attest that having a difficult game is not fun at all. And that's just my preference.

To bring it a bit closer, people who like the challenge want to break their limits. I just want relaxation, RL is overly challenging and fast paced anyway.

So turn based games, or ones where things can be taken nice and slow are my favorite, even if I do dabble with an RTS or two occasionally, that is just for the story in case the campaign can be completed even by a newbie.