Discussion Does anybody else despise harem endings?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sami11, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fiction is no excuse for utter retardation. Good novels (all of them print anyway), usually are part of the "fantasy realism" group. You can figure the rest yourself.

Amen, brother.

J0HNL8 and mir like this.
  2. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    Threads like these makes my day
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

3. FLUFFKING

FLUFFKING Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem for me is meh probably because I the kind that can't care less sh1t about a harem story for me it wether the story interesting for me or not

4. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really care whether there's a harem or not in the story as long as the MC could take responsibilities about it in a good or bitter way.

Most MC would raise the flags and then left it hanging, the longer it's hanging the more it's going to hurts when it's dropped, this is the harem that I hate. It's either you accept their feeling or reject them immediately, so everything is clear and no one would fall harder than what they could take.

5. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fiction for a reason. Shit aint realistic.

6. XenoRaku

Reading List:
    Link
    The only harem i accept
    1. The author writes it well
    2. 2-6 heroines on JP and KR less than 10 on CN because Cn harems are huge
    3. If the author goes "you can only get one" author should make it acceptable to the readers like in nisekoi (I'm basing it on that cause i don't read much harem anyway)
    4. Heroines take the limelight just as much as the MC like in Arifureta and Shield bro

All of these doesn't matter much if the MC is Op because that's clearly just wish fulfillment novels

7. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same :(

otaku31 likes this.
  8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    It is but bring that up to the writers themselves. Critics etc should be bought up to the writer themselves rather than useless rants. If you want to make a discussion on the topic you should research them up yourself directly before you say anything else.

Why harem is common for shounen directed novel and fiction ?
    1. Making multiple character is one of the easiest way for author to develop their main character dynamically and it is much easier to make their relationship simpler hence the harem.
    2. Easier to set up flag/incident/foreshadowing with the character that regularly interact with the main characters/protagonist and it's even easier to make the motivation for the mc as romance.
    3. Fanservice/Candy for the readers. Do you know horse racing ? Yes pick your ship to your liking. Hence different stereotypes of romantic interest.
    4. Again the dynamic. In case of the main romantic interest isn't that popular for the readers or to the author themselves they can pick a substitute among the others.
    5. In the end author want their protagonist to shine. Harem is one of the easiest way to do that.

XenoRaku likes this.
  9. J0HNL8

J0HNL8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh well, guess what?

I'm not the only one ranting about harem anymore :blobpopcorn:

11. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just wish fulfilment for males..
    Just like how gay novels are mostly for female's fulfilment.

(And a reminder, lately there are no good novels with great story in harem genere)

reagents 11 likes this.
  12. XenoRaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuunas ghost inn has good harem...
    edit: oops sorry i didnt see the novel part

13. xsdarknesssx

xsdarknesssx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not mind Harems as long as they are not over the top with like 15+ girls and as long as they have decent back stories. I understand that many cultivation stories are based on ancient china/Asia were powerful men had more than one wife many times so its not all that weird. It is a bit weirder in modern times novels but they still seem to get around that because cultivation.

As long as the Harem is kept to only a handful It is usually not a huge issue for me but I do find the typical girl is from a super family so she is going to leave for 1000 chapters and not see you for 100 years but never move on from her girlhood crush kind of lame. Also feel like most of the time the Harem is way to weak to move on to the next area so they are left behind for years to either cultivate by themselves or take care of kids they may have had when MC was younger.

Harems in other genre's often times can be not quite as good as cultivation novels because they often times have less of a reasoning for them but usually as long as it is not excessive I am not totally bothered.

I feel like poor Harems can make a story not great, but at the same time Xiania/Wuxia etc novels always seem to have the same tropes in them and there are other issues that can make or break a story too. Poorly written harems are not something I will write stories off alone on but usually if one part is poorly written thenother parts are and a lot of other tropes that drive me nuts if they are used to much are also prevalent.

XenoRaku likes this.
  14. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw just one thing that comes into mind about CN cultivation novels... how the heck would romance would work there? I mean there are multiple realms and an upper realm usually deadly for people from the lower realm except if their cultivation reach the upper realm... but again the main point these novels that MC usually a freak so if the FL can keep her speed then... MC is not so unique? The best solution for this problem was in Desolate Era where the FL died and the MC had to gain power to bring her back...

otaku31 likes this.
  15. anonymous M.K. 42

anonymous M.K. 42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the story is well written then i can accept a harem ending.

16. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like harem endings btw.
    The multiple wives and single husbando ones.

But Single Wife and multiple husband should just burn and be forgotten.

17. DatAsianOvaDere

DatAsianOvaDere Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I believe harem endings should only be seen as good if and only if the story reveals to the reader on the dedication the heroines have towards the MC. I know some people have basically said that having a good story is what makes a harem ending good, but in my opinion there's also a factor of revealing more in depth of characters. (I won't go too far in what I'm saying as for story and character background as I'm too lazy, but in summary, I differentiate story and having good character background and that as long as we, the readers, can learn more about the emotions and thought process of a character, then in a way it can be justifiable on why a harem ending is en route.) Additionally, to those who talk about how harems are fictional, it really isn't, even in America where most families are monogamy, there are some rare families that work with wives that allow their husbands to have a few side mistresses as long as they talk it over or make a deal with each other. Plus when you think about it as a female, in my view, sure it makes sense if you want to keep your lover to yourself, but if you were to spend a few years with other love rivals to the point where you guys are rivals yet best friends, emotions can be changed and ideas can be accepted, plus remember that at times if you truly love someone, you can also be blinded to your own previous assumptions about an idea when your at the end of the road on whether you will truly love or not love the person your seeking.

18. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I only despise them cause I’m envious :unsure:

19. xsdarknesssx

xsdarknesssx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is part of why harems are so prevalent in Cultivation novels I think. Easier for the MC to leave the girl behind and find a new one to add to his collection in the next realm then eventually be strong enough to bring them with him later while bringing the new girl(s) to meet the others. Otherwise the girl either needs to get killed and he spends most of the time trying to bring her back or she is from some super powerful family from the highest realm that will spend hundreds of chapters at a time away from the main story of the novel.

20. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    If there are Good Harems then it isnt even a Topic to Rant it. What is a Joke is Some Harem Novels who treat the "Harem Members" only like some kind of Background Character. That is too like some kind of Joke as if they are only "Background Character Worth" is there even a Need to tag the Novel with Harem?
    From what i see is that Many Don't like are Novels where Harem Character are only at the Start Really have a Personality but, after they get Into the MC's harem they became Flat/Background/Forgotten.
    A good Harem Novel where the Harem isn't only Harem members, but are Real Character of the Story who help the MC, Fight with him or help him are liked even by Reader who dont really like Harem Novels.

imK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.