Discussion Does anyone actually like reading nostalgia?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Hamski, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you like nostalgic moments in novels?

1. Yes

24.2%
  2. No

6.1%
  3. It depends

69.7%
  1. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have found recently that a lot of novels that involve longer timelines like to have the main character go revisit their hometown or something similar and end up reminiscing about the past. They usually inevitably run into John or Sarah who is used to be young and pretty but is now clearly showing signs of aging and maybe even has a family, evoking even more nostalgia. I, for one, absolutely DESPISE the feeling of nostalgia. It's easily the worst emotion for me. I would rather read a tragedy and feel actually sad because at least this way I feel some sort of closure to the event instead of thinking back to the good old days. I get it author, life sucks, don't remind me.

Anyway, I can see the appeal of tragedy novels for emotional release -- even though I personally don't like putting myself through that -- but I just don't see the appeal for nostalgia. By all means, if we are going to dump old characters and settings just leave them dumped. I don't want to be reminded because then I just feel bad. That's my persepctive. Do any of you have reasons you enjoy nostalgia?

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    neutral~
    it can show reader darn this cat have read this long! or whose that again?

Hamski likes this.
  3. Isabelle

Isabelle Always in love with potatoes (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends... I think that's how author-sama shows us the changes during this time, how our MC has improved. They are a little sad, but I'm ok with that~

4. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    This

5. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how well written the chapters are. If it's just a filler to copy paste old chapter, then skip it.
    But sometimes the nostalgia is used to convey mainly two things -
    1) the changes in MC are made more prominent by directly comparing to much older chapters, since the changes are usually very gradual. Basically what the story has done to the MC is put into perspective in its entirety.
    2) convey the longings of MC, their inability to go back, their maturity.

As long as they are not on the level of those Naruto fillers, and kept sufficiently short and well written, its not that bad.

MisterBubbles, Hamski and Isabelle like this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, I love it. In fact, it's often one of my favorite pieces of writing. it gives the reader a direct form of dramatic irony; because the reader knows exactly what the character has done and what he's up to but the people in his hometown only know him from before. So this process of discovery lets the protagonist show off without it feeling unnatural and artificial. It's pretty cool stuff, and in fact it's an idea that so popular in Chinese culture (and not just literature) that this concept has earned the saying "衣锦还乡" (to return home after making a name for yourself).

7. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of ways that nostalgia can be good for a story, but the one I like the most is that it can be an effective tool for character development.
    Revisiting old friends, family or old locations is a good way to make a character rethink about what is going on in their life currently and to set new goals going forward.