Recommendations Does it exist?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Goblin Sleuth, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay so I've read several stories where the protagonist was a human that got turned into a monster. Of course for the most part even though they have the body of a monster they still have human values. They go out of their way to try and contact and befriend humans, and believe human life is more valuable than monster life, among other things.

Now this got me wondering does the opposite exist. A story about a monster that is turned into a human, but still has monster values. That part is the most important, because I have read a few stories that do the whole monster to human thing, but I can't find any stories where the protagonist keeps their monster heart.

So can anyone name a novel where the protagonist was a monster that became a human BUT is still a monster at heart.

2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone Loves Large Chests?

Goblin Sleuth likes this.
  3. Sumer Sun

Sumer Sun Growing mushrooms in a dark corner

Reading List:
    Link
    Monster values? Won't that be pretty messed up? How would it fit?

4. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a BL where a dragon becomes human but still thinks very much like a dragon. Still likes shiny jewels, is lazy and arrogant.

Most of the novels where the monster becomes human that I have read still keep their personality from before their transformation. However these monsters are usually self aware and have intelligence.

5. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Well when I think of a protagonist with monster values, I think of someone who is more wild and chaotic, isn't afraid of conflict, and gets a rush from a life or death situation. Yeah basically someone like say Kenpachi from Bleach, that guy could totally be a reincarnated monster.
    THIS yes man I completely forgot that story existed, well the protagonist isn't technically a human though, just a monster that can take human form. They are definitely a monster at heart though, so yeah that is pretty damn close to what I was asking for.

Well yeah when I say monster I wasn't exactly thinking of some mindless mob that was incapable of thought. Rather a human with the arrogance of a dragon would work, though that does also sound like every Xianxia protagonist ever.

6. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the closest I can think of is “The Golem and the Jinni” (which is a book that is not from here).

It's about two non-human beings, one is trying to understand what they are and how to function in a normal human world (they do try to follow what others are doing, but also exposes their tendencies when they lose control) while the other is trapped in a human form and attempting to get back to their supernatural life.

It's set at the turn of the 20th century in a Jewish suburb of NYC, and follows their lives as they slowly become entangled with their inhuman natures while there's some malevolent creator with evil intentions.

7. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it would be hard to find it because people (author) will try to humanise the non-human protagonist (anthropomorphism), if it doesn't like humans (be it appearance or act) it won't draw sympathy and thus it won't sell well.
    Too bad for you, because the targeted consumer is human, they produce things meant for human to enjoy

I think this can fit your criteria but the character is a devil, not a monster. Vanir the masked devil (not sure if this is correct name) a chracter from Konosuba, every time i read whenever he appear and act, i constantly re-think oh yeah he is devil not human

8. Tsago

Tsago Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t discriminate against species
    Every character is a monster with monster ethics but forced to integrate into human society and impersonate humans.

9. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay that's good, I thought you mental like one of those blob mindless monsters. That would be really hard to write a plot around. And yes most Xianxia protagonist could pass for a dragon in human form, over powered, arrogant, and collects treasure. Unfortunately, after looking at your reading list I don't think we read the same genres.

10. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm guessing you read BL, that is probably the only thing that never appears in my reading list.

11. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, sorry couldn't be of more help.

12. khakha

khakha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Demon Noble Girl ~Story of a Careless Demon
    A girl reincarnated as demon, and live as demon in demon realm thousands years , long enough to make her forgot huge part her memory as human, before summoned to fantasy planet, but there is some mistake and she got her soul enter to newborn dead baby.
    She live as human, but still believe she is demon and still has some demon abilities. She can friendly to demonic beings as long as they not harm her family, and sometimes she see human with evil heart as insect and eat them.
    Conclusion, She is demon with human body and accept human as her family and friends.

13. gingingin1605

gingingin1605 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well it sounds unique for sure but monsters are shown to be chaotic and eager to rush to death because they are supposed to die. if we want to understand their thinking i would use animals as a reference. But usually when animals hunt they are also quiet patient and calm which is a praise worthy quality even for a human being.
    now if we want to imagine something like a goblin or kobold turning human and behaving like a goblin inn human society. that could be a comedy or slice of life kind of thing but i cant imagine anything other than that