Resolved Does this Buddhistic phrase mean anything?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Eishun, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This phrase: 大威天龙,世尊地藏,般若诸佛,般若巴嘛哄!

Context: In the middle of a fight. This guy suddenly shouted out this phrase in the middle of a fight and then he powered up.

So question: Does this phrase really mean anything? I want to stay true to the translation, but I realized that if I do, it becomes kinda gibberish?

Something like this: Oh, Heavenly Dragon, Ksitigarbha Below and Buddhas Above! Grant me the power!

Will this work? Or should I come up with a new original chant?

2. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    This line is a fiction mantra, so it's up to you to translate, yet 世尊 is one regnal name of Gautama Buddha, 般若 is a term in Buddhism, you should you the correct one tho.

Also, Buddhists don't say Buddha above or Bodhisattva below, because they're in a different "realm", not up in heaven or below in hell.

巴嘛哄 has no meaning, I suppose.

Maybe sth like Great Power (or Almighty) Heavenly Dragon, bhagavat Ksitigarbha, prajna Buddas, prajna bamahong?

Eishun likes this.
  3. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if the last part isn't something like that mantra "Om mani padme hum". Just cobbling something together after looking through the Buddhist terms dictionary on Pleco (it's free), maybe something like this:

Awe-inspiring Devas and Nagas, Most-honored Ksitigarbha, wisdom of all Buddhas, wisdom padme hum!

I don't know how to use Sanskrit words (like 般若 prajna) in syntax so not sure if prajna is a noun here or not. I take 天龍 to be devas 天 and nagas 龍.

Eishun likes this.