Recommendations Does this mythical creature exist?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by aviserised, Nov 24, 2022.

1. aviserised

aviserised Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've read soooo many domineering CEO, President, etc. novels. and they basically all have similar personalities. Cold, aloof, arrogant, somewhat questionable morals, barely talks to anyone but their love interest who is the only one who is able to break down their walls. So they move heaven and earth for them etc.

So what I'm looking for is a CEO/President who is actually good. Not just good to one person. but a main character that's warm and actually likes being with other people (they have family/friends that they want to hang with). rather than just their love interest and their poor, overworked assistant.

I'm just curious cuz having a CEO that's smart, charismatic and yet still be genuinely nice would be a nice break from the archetype. plus points if the story is well written.

sooo...is there such a legendary pokemon?

2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Most ordinary CEOs are like that. At least, the ones i have seen in India. I think this stereotype comes out of the chaebol system.

3. aviserised

aviserised Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

true....I guess being kind doesn't really go hand in hand with leading a multi billion company

4. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    One needs to be charismatic and intelligent to led a company. Being an asshole (Infront of public) doesn't take you far enough.

5. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we are talking about major corpos, just the competition to the top will make the CEO hyperfocused & efficiency. Factor in the backstabbing, gold digging, and kiss-ups and you get the coldness or iron underneath a warm exterior. That is unless you are talking about inherited wealth or frauds.

In the US, most companies are NOT in the SP500 and the CEOs run large family businesses or a step above that The statistics about 400:1 wage ratios apply to the SP500, not those smaller enterprises.

6. aviserised

aviserised Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I sooo agree with this. which is why having such cold and detached CEO doesn't really make sense. but this is the personality people make when creating presidents in these novels. But honestly tho, think of the PR problem having such a CEO. their HR department would must be so stressed....

Darkcrow. likes this.
  7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a very common feature of modern novels; especially when the CEO protagonist tends to be a Romance novel staple. I can name a few books that still manage kind and considerate CEO main characters, but only if you're interested in reading them in Chinese.

For the bigger companies, this isn't true. The top dogs have sociopathic tendencies because this tends to be the personality that gets rewarded by capitalism. It's all about making the maximum gains for the least amount of outlay, and this is why there is a strong trend of cost cutting measures that hurt the workforce. There are going to be gregarious CEOs out there, but they're not what the system is looking for.

8. Addictedtoreading

Addictedtoreading Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a few that sort of count I think

Epiphanies of Rebirth - BL, MC brings his friends along while earning money
    Hacker - MC brings his friends along in his business. I don't like the harem very much. Last part turns weirdly sci-fi like in my opinion

9. weakkitty

weakkitty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try "Transmigrated Into a Big Boss to Snatch Away the Cannon Fodder" - its a BL and the MC is a big CEO boss but is very far from being cold. The MC is quite lively from what I remember.

10. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BL Exclusive No-Love Zone, ML would go out of way just to hangout and chat with his employees other than the MC.

aviserised likes this.
  11. takame

takame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But those were what webnovels call the "new rich". Asian old money, which were the Chaebol/Zaibatsu (didn't know what's it called in china) are mostly super rigid so the kids grew up getting influenced by the cold blooded family business struggle. OFC there should be outliers within the family, like that one I heard of Toy0ta where the youngest son is not outstanding so he ended up being an ordinary worker in one of their factories and lead an ordinary life. These people's RL life can match the drama of telenovelas out there LOL.

That is why I've always loved puppy semes. They don't conform to the tyrant CEO stereotype. Anyways for OP I've looked among those I've read (sorry these are all BL haha)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/accidental-mark/ I like the gong here. Even if he's not super outgoing as you want, his face isn't like an iron mask and he is very kind.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-tang-familys-seven-os/ the first gong. the veritable wife slave. good businessman but a little bit stupid for other things. he has good relationship with the inlaws and okay with subordinates(he's mostly faking it and the secretary knows tho.)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-dragon/ with some twist MC slept with the CEO's brother. I want to add bcos the brothers were chummy, no power struggle and the ML is cheerful
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/admiral-you-have-it/ this is not CEO but a crown prince but I just want to add bcos he's so funny. Definitely far from being tyrant. MC's whole platoon became friends with him.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was actually thinking primarily about American corporations. They keep on hiring new CEOs with the directive of increasing the short term stock prices above all else, and one of the first things to get sacrificed for this goal is the welfare of the workforce.