Discussion Does your own issues affect your taste in novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LeniSnow, Sep 10, 2022.

Tags:
  1. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It does for me that's why there is only 1:40 chance that I could find a work that suits me, the others I tolerate if I can.

I can't tolerate too many suitors(more than 1, 1 is already too many) in romance novels because I hate that kind of attention, my anxiety(stomach rumbling and all) creeps out.
    I am quite fragile and rude MCs with no sense of respect or gratitude makes me nauseous, I read one where I almost threw up, the others just made my head hurt. There are more that's why my choices are very limited.
    Basically I can't read novels outside my comfort zone.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    ryzesalvatore and ragingphoenix like this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about issues, per se, but like obviously I prefer pairings that fit my own sexuality and have tastes/preferences in general. E.g. I prefer happier tones and don't particularly like lots of angst. I've also never been the biggest fan of multiple suitors, because I sympathize with them all and feel bad for the ones that end up alone~

Sounds like you're a very immersive reader - putting yourself in the place of the protagonist. Maybe it'd be easier for you if you found a protagonist that was so unlike you that you simply can't imagine yourself in that role.

3. historicalbean

historicalbean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have tropes I don't like for sure, but I wouldn't say there's any hardcore issues that would keep me from reading a novel. I take on the perspective of an onlooker when I read, so it's pretty easy to just watch the character do what they do. Again, within the tropes I like. But I feel you about the 1:1 pairings. I tend to avoid harems and novels without a clear love interest because it's just a gathering of stereotypes tbh.

LeniSnow likes this.
  4. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    probably. i'm a scaredy cat so i definitely tend to avoid horror

5. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    There is definitely some bias I would say. For example, I cant handle female mc novels. Its not like I didn't try. I read a few english novels with female mc, couldnt make sense of them, and decided never to read one again. Its basically the fact that I cant really put myself in the mc's shoes, since I am a guy. Apart from that, MC that is too dumb or too lucky is not my cup of tea, bcoz I am neither. Apart from that, I read any novels I consider well written.

hypersniper159 and LeniSnow like this.
  6. FlufflyLittleRabbit

FlufflyLittleRabbit Fluff...Fluffy....FLUFFYYYYY!

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have any issues with any kind of trope but I do avoid novels where the mc is a rapist, extreme pervert, and unreasonable mc who justifies his/her words and actions as righteous and disregards other people's feelings and harms innocent people. There was one time I read a shounen novel where mc sided his cheating dad and his maid over his own mother which really made me disappointed. I understand that having more than one wife is normal in their world but without consent from the main wife and being so sneaky behind her back and impregnating his mistress is still called cheating. I tried to ignore it before and continue to read that novel since the plot was quite interesting but it was only later I decided to drop it when there was a part he began to question himself why he was not lusting for his own mother and sisters. He is so stupid and an extreme pervert too that made me want to punch him in the face. (By the way, this was also one of the novels that made me want to avoid this kind of character)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    MillenniumMoon and LeniSnow like this.
  7. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The world is too depressing right now to read tragedies. This is definitely not a me issue!

8. Sei Li

Sei Li Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. My life is full of drama with separated parents having their own partners. So in return, i can't read tragedy where the point is to abuse the main character. I can only read romance novels with little to no conflict, with main couple that love each other too much they could kill (yandere?), and i can't read harem or love triangle.

LeniSnow and ryzesalvatore like this.
  9. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Had some issues with a stalker, so I don’t like creepy MLs. Also in my life there are a lot of high strung people who have mood swings often, so I try my best to avoid overreacting MCs. (Not exactly my own issue, but I hate MCs that rape even as a revenge. Just makes me feel queasy inside.)
    I feel like there are certain issues in life that affect some parts of the novel I read, but if it happens I just skim over it really quickly (or drop it if it’s major), and some I don’t really mind.
    There’s really nothing wrong with not being able to find a work that meets your requirements, drop it if it makes you nauseous. It’s way better than feeling uncomfortable.

LeniSnow likes this.
  10. ScyllaNeil

ScyllaNeil Harmless Bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I like strong characters. That should be enough to reveal what I feel often.

Yes. I like strong characters. That should be enough to reveal what I feel often.

hypersniper159 and LeniSnow like this.
  11. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i hate angsty, melodrama, mc-abusing and tragedy novels. i have enough anxiety as it is so i dont want to read stuff like that. i'm not a masochist after all.

LeniSnow likes this.
  12. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like reading novels where the mc is in poverty in modern times. Me being poor and me reading about poverty. That doubles the sadness. I read to feel emotions I enjoy. Not to feel what I already feel irl.

Sei Li and LeniSnow like this.
  13. EnduringConviction

EnduringConviction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Japanese comics and Japanese light novels, so most of the China novels I do not like too much.
    especially cultivation and eastern fantasy(XuanHuan).
    Release that Witch is one of the few Chinese novels I can accept.
    But after reading this novel, I started to hate isekai slow life novels.

LeniSnow likes this.
  14. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    If it contained these, then I might instantly drop the book :
    1. MC who mistreat animals. One I remember is MC who kill babies of a beast, but when the beast parents got mad, he righteously state that it shouldn't get mad by the fact that he kill its children.

2 MC who killed without reason. Everytime they kill someone, I need to be sure that the person they killed are utter scum, else my conscience would hurt when I read it.

3.Male MC who think their pride would be hurt if they lower themselves to woman. Some of their actions or thought are too disgusting for me.

4. Rescue-romance and forced romance. Having girl or boy falling in love with you just because you rescue them... I can accept it if long process where MC get to know them and they get to know MC is included, but if they turn into couple after one act then no.

5. Racist. Seriously no.

6. Proud Plagiarizer. Plagiarized our world entertainment, and don't give credit at all. Yet proud as if they're the creator and got mad when other plagiarized it.

LeniSnow likes this.
  15. ryzesalvatore

ryzesalvatore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I have a strong aversion towards love, so I'd prefer a cold MC that won't easily develop feelings, no matter how much a beauty seduces him.

Hmm, that's weird. I'm a guy but I prefer to read female MC. It's precisely because women's personality are vastly different to men that I find it interesting and enjoyable to read. Likewise, probably because I'm a guy myself that I find Male MC's thought and behavior to be predictable.
    Regardless of your situation, I think everyone likes strong characters.
    lol same

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    LeniSnow likes this.
  16. Quackome

Quackome Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never understood trigger warnings ,

Now I do , very much skim and skip , try to not think about it

LeniSnow likes this.
  17. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Chinese protagonist since they are competent because I’m totally incompetent and scared of moving forward.
    I also can’t stand female mc novels they seem to foreign to me I can’t read them. The one I did I thought it was an extremely poorly written novel and not worth any of the traffic it gets. It’s called Mistborn if your curious.

for me it’s the opposite and it always happens in Chinese novels. Lord of Enigma is an example, I loved it until chapter 250, then it spend 150 chapters making sure that mc is only killing bad people. I stopped reading it then. Even during the 250 chapters I enjoyed, it’s also put time, words and effort just to say who the victim was “an evil bastard who is the scum of the earth.” Like please just pull the trigger I. I can’t care if he is the saint who feeds the poor or he steals their food. Just take his drops and move the plot forward.

LeniSnow likes this.
  18. srrrahim

srrrahim A woman's heart, a needle under the sea

Reading List:
    Link
    I always avoid mc with the same occupation as me. I read novel to runaway from work and relaxation. I don't want to think about work when I read novel. Plus authors love to make medical practitioner too OP, chuuni, and 2D in their novel
    Unless it is something like House MD or The Good Doctor, then I'll definitely avoid this genre

LeniSnow and ryzesalvatore like this.
  19. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    Angsty, abusive, shitty novels. The wife-chasing ML stuff. It affects my mood ah! Though I think I do read it, SOMETIMES. Just half of the novel tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LeniSnow likes this.