Discussion Donation, subscription or paid translation?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HentMas, Jun 19, 2021.

1. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wondering, what's your preferred method of supporting a translator? and why?

Outside of licensed pay sites, I personally mostly just use Ko-Fi whenever I can because I'm in a tight budget.

Patreon where the "Tiers" just give you advanced chapters are, for me specifically, weird, but I understand the reasoning of it (specially since some paid sites use the same method), although I don't know why I don't enjoy the idea of using "Patreon", but I tend to overlook those because I don't want to subscribe to a free service, and going to the lowest tier doesn't do anything to increase the release date of the next chapter for free users... I understand it from a translator perspective, but I just can't use it... I don't really have anything other than "I feel dumb if I give this translator money monthly and I don't get any kind of encouragement"... I know I'm wrong, it's just a feel I have... even if I'm aware that this translations are usually better than the ones that just ask for donations.

And lastly, "Paid Translations" are... quite expensive per chapter, but I also understand them because their translations are usually top notch and you're basically funding it on your own.

I personally try to donate more to someone with a "Ko-Fi" (or other one time donation thingy) than paying a straight up subscription in Patreon, or single handedly funding a translation.

I'm averse to subscriptions because I don't want to go trough the hassle of canceling one if I can't pay that month... but when I have the chance I try to be generous in "Ko-Fi"

That's my reasoning, I wonder what other people think about this.

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    personally? none of them cuz this cat actually just read free stuff~ sound bad? maybe~ it because this cat passion not as deep as game perhaps~ there was time this cat have no hesitation to spend money to buy item mall, hmm you know buying in game item such as cosmetic or enchant helper~ pay subscription method and such~ but for novel translation this cat never have same passion~ at best just clicking ads or say thank you or spread da word~ still this cat can understand other reader who have similar passions toward novel translation as this cat have toward games~

it just don't expect this cat will do da same to novel translation~

HentMas likes this.
  3. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, i don't like common payment models where u pay to read earlier per chapter even so i normally dont support with cash. An exception to this is if i can buy it till the end of a book. Imagine supporting something and they just stop midway. (Webnovels im looking at u)

I read ALOT. I am not financially comfortable with spending on every title i read. Specially if the story is just so-so.

I'd prefer an app subscription. Something like kindle unlimited or even just netflix where i can pay a fix amount monthly for unlimited titles/chapters.

Another way to support is through reviews. Coz even if i don't contribute cash, hopefully a wealthy guy or two may be encourage to try and read then like the story enough to donate.

HentMas likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I only pay for professionally translated books, and I only pay the price that the volume is being sold for, I don't pay anyone to translate them... My money is too limited to spend on fantranslations, it's just not cost-efficient enough for me.

In any case, I like the patreon model more than any other because it gives a reliable income to the person providing the service. All other methods tend to be unreliable and not give the content creator a feeling of safety that they'll be able to pay their bills next month.

HentMas likes this.
  5. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    I like kofi :3

Can't get Patreon (mostly because I'm too lazy to understand how it works)

HentMas likes this.