Don't you find this weird?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Reedusk, Apr 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Reedusk

Reedusk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Chinese novels, mls or fls calls their sexual partner "brother" or "sister". If it was in courting period i would understand but even after becoming couple they do this. Why?? People may say it's an Asian culture thingy. I'm from Asia as well. We call older males/females brothers/sisters but when we go into romantic relationship we stop calling them brothers/sisters.
    In one novel the fl called ml right after sex "brother" and it wasn't kinky thing. If it was i would understand. In one novel (it was a great novel btw) they got married and still called sister! (They were same age?). Sure there are many names for romantic partner. Why do authors choose a platonic title?? Please enlighten me.

Mental waifu, Mr gentleman and Irishh like this.
  2. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    people like incest, dude, i dunno what else to tell ya

akki likes this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please, you assume too much by thinkong a typical webnovel author has relationship experience or thinks when typing instead of going by reflex 50-100 chapters in.

Mental waifu and Mr gentleman like this.
  4. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    as a webnovel author, can confirm.
    habits are hard to break

5. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dunno never seen anyone in asian novels call any other person anything other brother or sister or uncle or grandpa...

Mental waifu likes this.
  6. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought this was pretty standard, actually. Isn't 'oppa' the typical way for a girl to call her boyfriend in Korea? Heck, it's even used after they're married. In China getting addressed as 'gege' by a girl typically means you're either the girl's real brother or her boyfriend (Edit: after further research, it seems that this depends on the region of China or something? I'm not awfully sure). Both are also commonly used to refer to handsome celebrities online.

It looks like a culture shock thing. It's not authors being weird, it's really normal where they come from.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  7. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a Serbian comedy series where the husband when outraged at something his wife says sometimes goes - "Anđelka, bre insert rant here on whatever she said earlier" which is literally "Angela, bro".

8. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    In a Thai BL series that I watched a woman would call her husband daddy/dad just because he is the dad of her children.. as one of the above commenter said it's like a culture shock thingy

9. Reedusk

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? Authors of my country would never do this. And we do have cousin marriage.

I mean there is a kinky thing about "daddy" in bed but outside of bed??

10. sjoohhhy09

sjoohhhy09 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.. i agree with the others that it's more of a cultural difference...
    Koreans frequently refer to their boyfriends or friends as "oppa", and this certainly applies to Chinese people, as a lot of them often call their male partners "ge" prior to their dating period. It's more of a habit than a kink; imagine having to start calling your mom by her given name; It'll feel unusual and uncomfortable.

Furthermore.. even after marriage, many of them still refer to each other as brother or sister, or, as mentioned above, calling your partner mom or dad because they're the father/mother of their children. This also applies to my parents, they call each other like how i call them, not with endearing names or their real names. (no sexual connotations)

Hope this helped somehow ::blobcatsmile::

11. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My mom call my dad 'father' and my dad call her 'mother' at home, outside they call each other darling. And my sister-in-law call my brother 'big brother' just because everyone in my house call him big brother lol

12. Reedusk

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean there is a kinky thing about "daddy" in bed hut
    This would be very confusing for the kids.

13. sjoohhhy09

sjoohhhy09 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As i said before, it's cultural difference, it might seem confusing or strange to you, or you might think it'll be confusing for the kids but for us its completely fine and normal, we experience this daily

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  14. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nah that's just the translation being weird , cause most women call their husbands like that meaning "the father of my child' but can be translated as daddy

15. Reedusk

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! Yes! My parents call each other by "Ree's father" "Ree's mother". Now this make a lot of sense.

But how do you differentiate actual platonic relationship and the 'not so much platonic relationship yet call the title' relationship?

16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope.
    My mom will call my father his name when talkgin to him herself. But will call him Father when talking about him to us/her children. It's rude otherwise.

Now, this doesnt make sense.
    It's fine for only child, but if you have three children. Wouldnt that be unfair?
    But if they say it while talking with other's people who are not close with your family, it's understandable.

17. Reedusk

Reading List:
    Link
    But how do you differentiate actual pala
    It always the eldest child's name. Or the favorite child's name.

Yeah it may seem unfair but in my country it's a no no to calling partner by names specifically in fornt of people (doesn't matter close or not). Few decade ago people believed if wife calls the husband by name it would bring misfortune to her husband (religious reason). So wife/husband got the habit by calling each other by father of 'insert kid name'.
    Whenever I talk to my friends about my husband i use "your brother" they understand that im talking about my husband. I used to use my husband's name but they prefer that way. But platonic relationship is very sacred in our Indian subcontinent. So calling our romantic partner by the platonic title is forbidden. So if i use brother to call my husband, he will definitely discipline me.

18. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the Chinese and their fans know the difference. We're outsiders, and the translator doesn't want to change how 2 characters call each other to suit their country's culture, so just guess the characters' relationship and bear it.

19. Reedusk

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it may seem unfair but in my country it's a no no to calling partner by names specifically in fornt of people (doesn't matter close or not). Few decade ago people believed if wife calls the husband by name it would bring misfortune to her husband (religious reason). So wife/husband got the habit by calling each other by father of 'insert kid name'.
    Whenever I talk to my friends about my husband i use "your brother" they understand that im talking about my husband. I used to use my husband's name but they prefer that way. But platonic relationship is very sacred in our Indian subcontinent. So calling our romantic partner by the platonic title is forbidden. So if i use brother to call my husband, he will definitely disi
    If you can't enlighten me. Just ignore the post.

20. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want enlightenment, you can read this:
    https://baike.baidu.com/item/哥哥/2032

Each country has its language and culture, and Chinese authors don't require you to understand.

Efu-sama likes this.