Don't you love those tards that promotes aggregator sites and tries hard to bypass chapter locks?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by bigwhitebunny, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than reading mtl chapters with questionable edit in certain site, i prefer read at lnmt* site which can roast your brain. Mine already deep fried though

edit: already grab mine :blobpopcorn:

2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    im here for the drama

3. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    So OP how much QI paid you to post this rant? Cuz I also want the MONEY! :aww: You can never have too much MONEY! :blobowoevil:

4. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    But QI is an aggregator site. It ripped entire translations off WuxiaWorld and a few other places without changes. And no, QI doesn't own the rights to translations other people did, especially not WW's. QI has no moral high ground here.

5. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you manage the system in house, server codt is significant. You need DR, Load balancer, multiple node for redudancy, database server, image storage(for the novel cover). Not to mention the licence for the program that they use + utilities and maintenance cost. I'm under assumption a "big" company will handle the system in house.

And all those system mean extra man power to keep it running.

I also doubt that the video ads in their website paid for the number you give. That the cost in State and premium ads. China will have different pricing.

Not to mention that people using ads blocker reduce the number of viewer + the way their website works doesn't optimize ads view.

readerz likes this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is not much to their server code, and load balancing for what? Their site is mostly plain text, you can get all of what you describe via cloud but from the looks of it most of their stuff are in-house. Aka they are sharing costs with their chinese servers.

You also don't need a separate image server and database server with what they are processing. (but even if you did the cost of a server is about 1-2k)

No extra manpower needed.

The users are not chinese, the prices are based on US users. China users are cheap, US users are 100X more expensive.

They block adblockers, so unless someone uses a custom script for their site they can't use ad blocker.

7. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel no guilt bypassing the chapter lock and using adblock on QI, is it better to just boycott them completely? Ofcourse, but then i have less to read.

QI keeps hiring translators to throw out chapters as quick as possible with little to no quality control, they let translators who barely understand English sentence structure to self edit the chapters (Martial arts master is a shitshow of poor translations) they have what i believe is machine translators covering many novels, monster paradise for example, it feels very much like machine translation, just the first chapter is calling a blessing/cheat goldfinger, that's not the name of his specific cheat/blessing either, it's a problem across many of the novels they release, then you also get slow, unreliable releases like dominating sword immortal with no communication.

There's no outlet to complain, QI really, really need an official forum.

8. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They have QI Forum, mobile apps back end, their website have comment and rating capabilityz

All of above need backend system to support. You don't depend on single server hosting all the system because once there is hardware failure then all your service, config, etc are gone. Samething with your database, you will need at least a secondary physical server.

Load balancer is needed to switch between primary and secondary if something happen.

Man power is needed to make sure all the setting, system hosting, data mirroring, network connection, etc between those two server are working well.

I agree that they can combine the image storage and db in one Environment.

About the ads, depend on who providing the ads, but since I don't know what the deal they have it may goes your calculation or not.

And adsblocker work in their website (mobile web). I never watch any video in their site (or maybe i never see it since I rarely read the locked chapter)

Edit: just test, even reading the locked chapter I didn't see any video, only need to wait 2s

9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    oh another drama?!

10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    None of which is any difficult.

If you have a proper server, you should have RAID + secondary PSU. Which are the 2 things most likely to fail. Since everything is in-house, in the minuscule event of a failure you hotswap. But even if you have multiple severs its only 2k or so per server.

Load balancer is for mitigating high traffic.

Which requires no extra manpower since they host everything in-house (chinese and international)

Your coming from indonesia, your traffic is the lowest alongside china. Them not having ads for you would not be surprising.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    There are subreddit for that :blobpopcorn:

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL aggregators steal from everyone. I think your blinded by your hate for QI to not recognize this and believe it's "less problematic than what QI has done" .

lonelytree and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggregators lie too. Promising to release more chapters
    and some other blatant lies when they don't translate.
    So saying Qidian is worse than aggregators because they lie is a poor argument
    Apart from that, well I think many people here are either too young or naive or both
    Amazon Prime is not profitable, neither is spotify
    Netflix is barely profitable, a shoe store makes more profit than them relatively
    Subscription system only helps you gain marketshare and nothing else
    So is paywall coming? Yes
    It might lead to better quality translations
    but will I be paying for it then? No
    I might buy chapters for others as a gift but I am too much of a miser to spend money on myself
    but seriously this thread is dumb, it is beating a dead horse
    maybe it is my migraine talking but I cannot even enjoy it no matter how much sugar I add to my popcorn :blobpopcorn:
    I wish I had cookies :cookie:

14. MantouInv

MantouInv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When did I not have one? In my honest opinion, choosing to read off Qidian over aggregate sites is pretty obvious. The main reason Qidian gets hate is cause they stole wuxiaworld' novels if I remember correctly. Aside from that, there's lower quality translations as well as the paywall stuff. Even if Qidian is somewhat considered an aggregate, at least it has its own translations and actually pays the translators. Also, not all of qidian's translations are low quality, examples include TMW, AC, STH, and probably some more stuff I haven't seen. As for people complaining about the paywall, it hasn't happened yet, don't know why you care about something that hasn't happened yet. It's currently free with ads, or adwalls, I don't know. But still, it's not like you're paying to read. In conclusion, I'm defending Qidian; at least, I prefer them over aggregates who pretty much steal everything. What are you going to do, coin me as a part of the 50cent army that probably doesn't even exist?

15. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well better stop it here. Seems that your architecture design and mine doesn't in sync.

I based my design on what I see in several companies where they always have multiple physical server, connected to load balancer to handle the swapping automatically in case one server down for whatever reason (Murphy law).

16. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    But that isn't what a loadbalancer does... the loadbalancer's purpose is to divide up traffic and minimize capacity. It won't help you with your site going down because you are still tied down to other resources such as need to access the database and etc. Considering that QI's main content is just text and login and nothing more, you don't really need a loadbalancer.

17. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    Straw men after your initial ad hominem, what a dunce.

It's really easy to find the obvious shills lol, you're really naive to think forum manipulation doesn't exist.

Accounts with famous Chinese brands or QQ numbers as their username, created only defend Qidian, and only ever posts on Qidian related threads, all dedicated users of the community amirite. Try some critical thinking sometime.

Or maybe you're just a shill too lol, after all you were part of XXW, jumped ship to QI now?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  18. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope Qidian implement their paywall early!!
    so people can legidly sue qidian for using other's translation work without permission and publishing it for money.
    Dont forget all those plagiate stuff theyre using openly in the infinity series and all other series without even bothering to mask it..
    Paywall will draw a line somewhere and all these drama will die down .
    If only QI can do things honestly without all the stealing.
    You want to keep reading everything in QI for free so you decide to keep a blind eye for all they stolen?
    Youre so shill-y you know that?
    And no... I dont read QI shill anymore much less going to the agregator site for it.

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uh...no. Mantou is Mantou. Mantou's a friend.

20. GrimKitty

GrimKitty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh... not so much, but I do love shills. bigwhitebunny bro, can we be friends? I'll get us some drinks and you can tell me how great QI is and how much everyone who opposes them sucks.

No but really, I mean it. I'm even ready to defend your job. I really respect someone who can become a public enemy for a paycheck, that takes nerves and thick skin. I think people don't always realize you're just working for your next dollar, leading to personal crusades.

mrttao likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.