Resolved Double posting, it seems? I could use some clarification

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by honglath, Mar 28, 2018.

1. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Some helpful user claims i double posted a thread and maybe some posts as well. I don't know exactly, i couldn't really understand his words completely even though he made a big show. He said he was senile, the poor bastard...
    Anyway, I'm not seeing that in my browser, but if the old man seems so sure and even has some junior below him to testify, then maybe it's true. So i'm hoping someone could clarify. (Sorry if i posted this in the wrong sub-section.)

Anyway, i posted the [Forgotten Title] thread and then i edited the title right after to add (JP) to make it more informative. Might that have caused our fellow nufferers to see double?
    Or was it just rage on their part? I read a few novels that had that happen a few times.

To be completely honest, to me it was like looking at a group of people falling on the floor laughing while pointing at some invisible thing that only they can see. It was quite confusing.

Thank you

2. ayyshadow

ayyshadow Eternal Lurker || Lover of Anything Fluffy

Reading List:
    Link
    erm maybe you should try asking them first instead of making a bug report thread?

3. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, i tend to skip a few steps once in a while. My fault.

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I feel that this is definitely not the way you should be making a thread in this section. Never.
    Anyway, are you suggesting that there might have been a bug in NU so when you changed the title, it showed up in others feed as a double? If this is what you're implying, then ease be clear.
    A bug report should be clear and concise, without your opinions on users. Please understand that.

5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that when you changed the name, maybe it somehow left a redirect? Mods are able to do that when they move a thread. Maybe it’s not you at all and the thread got moved to a new section while leaving a temporary redirect in the old?

6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my thoughts regarding the Double Post mentioned. OP posted under Title#1 then thought the title was too offensive so OP changed to Title#2. This made the thread with Title#1 and Title#2 appeared consecutively on NU's front page as Latest Threads eventhough it's the same thread. Member A thought it was two different threads and posted saying it's double posts instead of reporting the incident. Member B, C, D, E etc thought Member A was right and Liked his post. They did not check that it's actually the same thread but with different title, thus creating the impression that Member A was right and it was a double thread.

If it was reported, a staff could have removed the old title from front page, but since there was none, no one checked it.

ayyshadow, AliceShiki and Blitz like this.
  7. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you're right. I should have done so, but emotions rule the man. That's why sometimes, something that should be visibly clear gets clouded and ignored. Even if you want to, the control isn't always there. My excuse is in the second spoiler in my signature.

I know it's not me. Still i did cause something to happen and it's most likely by editing the title right after posting it. I'm not sure.
    It might be from the site or it might be a 'hiccup' that, as i understood it, apparently happens when information sent from a user PC gets stopped at the site server's gate for some reason (error, corruption, loss of connection somewhere along the nodes it passes through), gets requested again and then both pulses pass at the same time. But on my side, i never saw any double post, neither in the "Latest Topics" nor on the forum itself. I checked, refreshed, cleared cache, rebooted and no double post showed up at all for me.

You're sanitizing it, but that's probably the gist of it.
    My thread's title was more informative than "HELP ME!!!" but also more vulgar than usual, i'll admit that. I exaggerated the two main points of the novel in a tabloid type of title in order to induce a quick response; get them with shock and awe as they say.
    The senile old man was upset i called a previous novel he recommended to have 'racism and nationalism' as connotations - but i backed out of the thread early in consideration for the 'no politics and religion' rule, which is something i think these talks usually end up as - which may have had him hold a grudge, hence personal attacks whenever the chance arrives. We're both idiots, but with different areas of expertise. It happens.

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me unsanitize it.

Your first title was 'Forgotten Title - (JP) MC is a whiny lil bitch who drove his love away because he got a shitty mapping ability' and your final title was 'Resolved - found - mapping skill was in the title.'

honglath likes this.
  9. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, but i need to correct this:
    My first title was 'Forgotten Title - MC is a whiny lil bitch who drove his love away because he got a shitty mapping ability'.
    Which i quickly edited (the first edit) into the (JP) version and after i got the answer i sought, i edited again into the 'Resolved' version.