Discussion Dragon Age Inquisition at 10 bucks, worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Liron, Feb 17, 2018.

?

Would you buy it?

1. Yeah

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Nope

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Meh, maybe

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how early you fight the dragon and what difficulty you're playing the game.

My Alistair (I usually raised STR and CON in a 2:1 ratio) in Nightmare usually got very close to death (with a full dragonbone set) against the High Dragon near Andraste's ashes, and I had 3 healers.

On the other hand, he usually lost a bit over 1/2 his life against the Archdemon.
    I honestly forgot what was the in-game description of the Deep Mushrooms, so no comment on that.
    I was talking lore-wise, not mechanics wise.
    Well, I used it in my mages and it was pretty neat, even if not that optimal.
    In all honesty, I played MEA recently and I think it is way better than the opinion of most people about it?

Like, it seriously pales in comparison to the first trilogy, but it's not thaaaaaat bad. There are 3 or 4 characters in your party that are pretty interesting to be with, the story is very okay (good is a bit too much of a stretch, but okay is a decent grade for it IMO), and the gameplay is considerably engaging IMO.

I can't give a single one of those compliments to DAI, so... I think MEA is way better? I'd give a 6.5/10 to MEA and a 3/10 to DAI.

2. Lisant

Lisant Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just play Nightmare. Forget how I handled High Dragon fight though. I know Shale, Dog, Ranger pet, Shapeshifter form, and Forcefield cannot be grabbed though. I'm pretty sure you can also just flat tank it with Arcane Warrior with Shimmering Shield and Rock Armor and Rock Salve for some outrageously high armor score (yes, Mages are the best tanks in DAO). It's also really easy to just trap the high dragon to death, since you can just endlessly stack traps on the spot the dragon is called to.

I don't think there really was lore one way or another, not sure how much that matters either, given Bioware's lackadaisical attitude towards retconning/contradicting the lore with every new installment of Dragon Age.

It's an option for a no potions run, although having two mages cast rejuvenate on the other when their mana is at 90% or lower and keeping up Spellbloom and Mass Rejuvenation will usually do a decent job of keeping up mana too. Blood Mage also works. Normally you just put every stat point into magic and drink potions for mana (every potion has a separate 5sec cd too), and since magic improves how much you gain from potions, willpower becomes pretty pointless.

Haven't played it. Heard it was even worse than ME3 though which is bad enough for me. When it came out though it was an instant laughing stock, positively infamous for being horrible. The few clips I saw were very offputting and iirc a bunch of it seemed very lore-breaking for ME. It was one of those "animations are super infamously bad, game contradicts the series's lore, characters are uninteresting, and combat's bland" things that combines into "there's no good reason to be playing this, even if you are a diehard ME fan."

No offense but "Okay story" is a very ambiguous term on NU. A lot of people here read total trash fiction. I mean, many of those giant webnovels are worse than pulp fiction. I find there's generally a much lower standard for what constitutes acceptable writing here.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, sure, some things can't be grabbed and it's not that hard to tank it if you min-max enough either... I assume the vast majority of players don't know how to min-max properly in that game though, so I think CON is a pretty good stat for those. (for the record, I think I only discovered Arcane Warrior was the best tank min-2016, years after I had played the game)
    I think Bioware cared a lot about its lore back in DAO days... Past tense is important though, because they clearly don't care one bit about it anymore~
    *nod nod* If anything, I remember Willpower being pretty useful in my first run, because I somehow didn't have a lot of potions with me... I have no idea how though, because I had a ridiculously huge amount of potions in my future runs of the game.
    It's definitely worse than any of the previous 3 games. And the game was a buggy mess with terrible animations when it was released, but they fixed most of that through patches.

I thiiiiink it wasn't very lore breaking, but some things did put me off for sure...

There are some terribly boring and uninteresting characters without a doubt, but there were 3-4 interesting characters in your party, and this was more than enough for me, I just ignored the annoying ones.

Combat bland though? Really? It's the one thing I never saw a single person complaining about... Like, I think I saw some 10 reviews before buying the game and not a single person talked badly about the combat? Even my brother bought the game solely for the multiplayer and completely ignored the single player, just because the combat looked pretty good. (For the record, don't do that, the multiplayer of MEA is seriously underwhelming if you compare it to ME3's multiplayer.)
    Ah, I can understand where you come from... Well, I personally think I don't read trash novels, and I definitely avoid all sort of dumb xianxia writing that is filled with repetition and overused plots, but... I can see why you consider NU's standard as pretty low.

In any case, I still think it's an okay game that could be bought if it was with a reasonably high discount... Much differently from DAI, that I got thoroughly tired of (I think I stopped playing a bit after defeating the Envy Demon btw) and won't go back to playing it even though I have it home.