Dragon Age inquisition or Darkest Dungeon

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ripple, May 18, 2018.

?

Which game should I go with

1. Darkest dungeon

30.2%
  2. Dragon age inquisition

69.8%
  1. Ripple

Ripple Notice me Daisydacrazy senpa

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a bit conflicted in a game to get. So could you help me pick between
    • The darkest Dungeon
    • Dragon age inquisition
    The whole concept of the darkest dungeon sounded kinda interesting to me
    Also I haven't played the previous DQ games so will I be totally lost if I went with it?

2. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    If you havent played the others DA... i recomend you to get them... they're amazing.

Ripple and vangent like this.
  3. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    never played a Dragon age before inquisition but inquisition was an amazing experience.
    But you have to realise you are comparing 2 completely different games.
    If you like a game rich with story, a very long game and you in general like rpgs i recommend dragon age.
    Darkest dungeon is a hit or miss depends on the person, sounded interesting to me too but i only ended up playing for a few hours before just not feeling like it anymore, depends on the person.

Ripple likes this.
  4. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know anything about darkest dungeon but Dragon age: Inquisition was pretty fun if you like sandboxyrpg games and I introduced a friend to the series with no prior knowledge and he said it was fairly easy to pickup without playing the rest.

Ripple likes this.
  5. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    You might actually enjoy Inquisition more if you haven't played the previous games before. Inquisition wasn't a bad game, but it was a huge disappointment to a lot of Dragon Age fans.

6. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve played all 3 DA games and I can say that I was lost towards the end of the game. (Spoiler free) the game brings old characters back and if you didn’t play the other games + the dlc you will be lost. Also, idk if they fixed it but when DA inquisition came out it was super buggy. I had to skip crucial dialague because the characters would just freeze.

Darkest dungeon is really fun in my opinion, I haven’t played it a lot so I don’t know how the end game is but from what I’ve played it’s been a lot of fun.

Ripple likes this.
  7. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    if you like roguelike then darkest dungeon, you will suffer to understand all mechanics
    if you just want a rpg then DA

Ripple likes this.
  8. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To enjoy or to suffer. That's your choice :p

Ripple likes this.
  9. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon age: Orgins and then Dragon age inquisition. The second Dragon age isn't the greatest so you could just look up a summary of the story to figure out the third.

Ripple likes this.
  10. N1gh7R4v3n

N1gh7R4v3n Bounty Hunter for skittles

Reading List:
    Link
    better than dragon age 2. Still believe it has the worst story

Ripple likes this.
  11. Edonis

Edonis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally like the Dragon age Series, picking up Inquisition right away won't be bad at all either. but playing the other two will make you appreciate the game and lore more. ALTHOUGH starting with how amazing Dragon Age Origins was, I'd have to say the next two dragon ages were subpar. Still a good game overall though.

Traveling Chef and Ripple like this.
  12. Popocaptel

Popocaptel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Inquisition is one of the best RPG that i have played ( Mass Effect Triology is the best ) , buy without doubt , i have over 250k hrs played and i still play

Ripple likes this.
  13. Edonis

Edonis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was worse in a sense that you couldn't really customize your character like Origins or Inquisition. The story itself was pretty linear and made it seem like your choices didn't matter, but after playing Inquisition I just viewed it as something that was released in between to help set up the next game.

Most of Bioware's best games came prior 2010 it was after 2010 that EA decided to have some big changes which led a couple directors from Bioware to separate. Which led to the shitshow called Dragon Age 2. (released 2011)

for OP... Play Inquisition without minding all the social/political messages and you'll be fine. I personally loved the game but some of the little things here and there just made my face twitch.

Ripple likes this.
  14. Popocaptel

Popocaptel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sera BEST GIRL

Ripple likes this.
  15. Happedaps

Happedaps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a long time player of Bioware games DA:O is absolute garbage IF you compare them to any of their previous works, I would go as far as saying DA 2 is better than DA:O. Biowares latest games (DA:O and Mass effect Andromeda) are garbage compared to previous work. Not because of their gameplay perse but simply because the writing was awful and dull

Ripple likes this.
  16. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon Age: Inquisition has the best party member development of any RPG I've played. Even the random inter-party dialogue that occurs while you're wandering around the map manages to be highly entertaining, and is one of the best reasons to swap out party members between side missions. I daresay the side plots and character missions are better than the main plot.
    And absolutely make sure you take Iron Bull on your first actual dragon-slaying mission.

Ripple likes this.
  17. Iados Jaxx

Iados Jaxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a fan of both games I am honorbound to answer.

DA Inquisition is facking great, if you want story and characters, go for it. Every Dragon Age game follows its own protagonist, each with a different story to tell, so you don't really NEED to play the others, but I HIGHLY recommend it anyways, as each protagonist ends up shaping the world in one way or another. Few things make me as fuzzy as hearing background conversations about the Warden, or listening to our boy Varric talk about his best friend Hawke (the DA2 protagonist).

That being said, DA does have its flaws, like any other game. The character interactions ahve very specific conditions at very specific times, making it hard to listen to you party members talk to each other- Which is a bloody shame. In every Dreagon Age game, your party members could chat with each other, and it brought this sort of life to each of them. You could hear your two mages discussing magical theory, or maybe even about the Templar-Mage war. Hell, they chat about YOUR ROMANCE OPTION. Dragon Age does a good job of bringing characters to life that way, which is a damn shame character interactions are really hard to come by this game.

The main bad guy starts out as something of a threat... and then devolves into hilarious. Seriously. That was just one sad sorry excuse for a main antagonist. Still, if you want a game that tells you a story, DA is the way to go. Pay attention to some little things in the background. You can tell some sad stories just by doing that... Also, you can find a giant and a dragon trying to beat each other up. That's just fucking cool.

The final problem with DA is... well, it's an RPG. you WILL eventually have to start grinding at some point.

Now, Darkest Dungeon. The game which, might I add I'm currently playing right now

Do you want to face Eldritch Abominations? Do you want to face the Devil himself and fight him to a standstill? Do you want to laugh in the face of death?

Well too bad mate, in Darkest Dungeon, the monstrosities laugh back. And they always get the last laugh.

Darkest Dungeon is a roguelike game, so it is very, VERY repetitive. I mean, sure there's some RPG elements in there, but it is, at its core, a roguelike. There's not much story to tell, and what little is there is kinda depressing. Most of your adventurers will die. Period. You have to accept that when playing this game. You want RNG to fuck you over? Do you want your ancestor constantly breathing down your ear about how "Pride is a slow and painful killer"? Do you wish that your last name was "Darkest"? (That's the default game name, and judging as how the name of it's the name of the Estate, then that implies that your last name is Lord/Lady Darkest. Fucking cool) Then welcome to the Darkest Dungeon. Bring a torch, a lot of food. Maybe a shovel and some antivenom.

tl;dr: DAI is a solid RPG with a respectable story, as is DA's reputation. DD is a roguelike game, very repetitive, you are constantly at the mercy of RNG, but overall a solid game to play. Assuming you like filling a graveyard with your beloved goons.

I must also add that there's an enemy in Darkest Dungeon which vomits at your characters. Said vomit gives targeted character a disease. Said disease can range from Tetanus to Rabies to Syphilis. Do not quesion it.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Ripple likes this.
  18. Rendei

Rendei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're going to play Dragon Age, I'd honestly just start from Origins and go through the series. Origins is the best game, anyways, despite its flaws with combat. Furthermore, the graphics haven't aged that badly. Inquisition has superior combat/tactical gameplay. But as a result of its attempt at an open world, it can't match up with the strong narrative of the previous games.

Ripple likes this.
  19. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    if you want a long time gaming sessions and have the time for it, I suggest the dragon age.

if you don't have the time and want random chance of replayability, I suggest the darkest dungeon

Ripple likes this.
  20. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Pro Tip: Make your own decisions in life instead of letting others make them for you. You'll be happier this way eventually even if your stress level is occasionally higher.

Pro Tip 2: Don't ask, no one is going to pick your hentai for you.

Ripple likes this.