Novel Dragon Heart Ch. 6 (1/5)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Silver Snake, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Hatka Bobra

Hatka Bobra Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, exactly, you are clever.
    You dwell in the story world yourself with those who's already onboard (because they are fans of the topic) and do not aim to present the world to the reader and arouse him.
    Totally your right.

Silver Snake likes this.
  2. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they're that big of fans. I mean, my genre doesn't really appeal to many. It's very, idk, visceral. It's a little much and heavy. My way of writing... feels pretty new to me. Most people are already fans of some other thing, I mean. So of course I wouldn't get fans, or at least not quickly. But someday...
    I'll think about that line until I figure it out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Hatka Bobra likes this.
  3. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    As per the old woman’s request food and more water was brought to Siegfried. He could smell the stew before it was in the room; he had never smelled something so delectable. His mouth salivated and his stomach pain became more pronounced. When the tray was over his lap, he asked, “What is this?” wonderment in his voice.

A murmur of, “Maybe there is something wrong with ‘is noggin,” was voiced across the room.

“It’s beef stew,“ said the old woman.

“So this is stew,” said Siegfried, in his discovery, not realizing the foolishness of the statement.

Even the old woman was bewildered, only saying an affirmative, “Uh huh.”

Slowly, almost reverently, he picked up the wooden spoon, dipped it into the stew, and brought the mixture into his mouth. Flavors exploded; rich gravy, hearty beef, sharp carrot, and mellow peas. And the saltiness, it was just right.

The once dragon’s eyes widened in shock. He immediately began scarfing it down, bringing the bowl up, tilting his head back, and shoveling the food in as if it was the first meal he ever had in his life.

When it was all gone, he returned the bowl back to the try, and saw the slice of bread beside it. “What's that,” he asked.

“Bread?”

“Yes, of course.” He took it in his hand, brought it close to his face, examining it, then sniffed it; it was divine.

Siegfried bit into it and was met with instant disappointment, the bread was slightly stale, and it didn’t taste near as flavorful as it smelled.

“Dip it into the leftover gravy,” she suggested.

Yet again, Siegfried used logic instead of experience to understand the meaning. He dipped the bread in, examined it once more, and saw that the bread was absorbing it. With relish, he finished his meal and water, exhaling a satisfied, “ah,” at the end.

And then he remembered. “Where’s my armor and spear,” he asked with narrowed eyes.

The old woman was unfazed by the once dragon’s murderous eyes, now accustomed to his child-like intrigue with the world. “They’re in the other room.” She nodded in the direction of the room behind her.

“Can I have them back?” he asked, expectant.

“Do you need them right this second?” she asked, as if the question was silly.

“No,” he said, hesitant, “I suppose I don’t.”

“Then there they shall stay.” Siegfried became wary of this woman. Never in his thousand year existence did he meet someone who so perturbed him. But this woman, this human, she was to be watched.

Yet again, not fussy about his gaze, she said, “Let’s call it a night then. We’ve all got work in the morning.” And like that, everyone filed out of the room. As the old woman closed the door to the room, she said, “sleep well.”

Siegfried was unsure of what to do. He could probably grab his armor and leave this place, either sneaking away in the dead of night or slashing through any who would dare stand in his way. But honestly speaking, he was unequipped to venture off into the human world. His body was too fragile and his knowledge too lacking. As he pondered this, the softness and warmth of the bed lulled him to sleep.

Siegfried awoke to a knock on his door. As Susannah was about to ask if she could come in, the once dragon opened the door. “What is it,” he asked curtly.

“Um,” she had momentarily forgotten what she was told after hearing his oddly dismissive tone. “I am to give you a tour of the town so you can see where you’d like to work.”

“I am to work?

“Yes.”

“So I may earn my keep?”

“Yes.”

With a nod, he said, “alright.” Siegfried had no qualms with the trade of his labor for a warm bed, good food, and the chance to learn more of human ways. Considering everything he had gone through, it was a good deal.

Susannah walked away, down the hall, assuming he would follow, which he did, for a time. But when she looked back, she saw that he was standing in front of a window, touching it.

She walked up to him, tilted her torso diagonally so she could see his enraptured face, and asked, “What are you doing?”

“What is this?”

“A window?”

“This material.”

“Glass?”

“Yes, it’s like an invisible wall.”

“Yeaaah?” She was starting to get weirded out.

“It’s amazing.” Siegfried said with reverence.

“Not really, it’s just a window.” Her tone was dismissive.

“Humanity is so weak and short-lived, yet they can create such amazing things.”

At that, Susannah burst out laughing, and in between giggles said, “You act like such a kid!”

The once dragon thought of his age and said, “I assure you, I am not.”

Another burst of laughter, “and you talk like you’re so old!” After a few more giggles, “when you look as old as me!”

“What’s so funny?” Siegfried was annoyed.

“You are! You’re so serious and silly it’s ridiculous!”

He simply stood there, frowning ever so slightly, accompanied by his permanently scowling eyes, it made quite the impression.

Catching herself, she said, “Alright, I’m sorry for laughing at you. Please follow me, and tell me when something catches your fancy instead of stopping in the middle of nowhere.” And like that, Susannah turned and walked away. Siegfried followed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  4. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Weeks passed. The townspeople came to believe what Siegfried had said about his memory loss - what with the simple questions he asked and his general lack of common sense - though not that he was formidable enough to have slain the mighty Fafnir. They treated him with the empathy one shows for a lost child who did not know better.

The sun was about to touch the horizon. Susannah rested her arms over a wood fence, behind her was a large alder tree, and in front of her was Siegfried, swinging at an invisible enemy and glistening with sweat.

The once dragon recalled the real Siegfried's movements, how he shifted his weight throughout his body, using its momentum added onto his own force to deliver as much impact as possible. But beyond those movements, there was more, an impossible strength that allowed the knight to actually hurt the dragon. Siegfried would leap forward, and instead of going the normal distance, he would go much farther, as if propelled by some unseen force.

The once dragon was certain that it was magic, but what kind, or how the knight had employed it, he did not know.

Celladon would know.

He had asked around about magic, but the most people could do was create a spark with the snap of their fingers. He had learned it relatively quickly. Now he could make a fire easily. To think, without this simple knowledge, he may have died.

“Why do you practice so much?” asked Susannah.

“Why don’t you? The human body is weak. Compared to creatures like ogres, orcs, and trolls, they could crush you in one fell swoop.”

“That’s why we have soldiers. No monsters or malicious races live anywhere near here anyway.”

“Have you forgotten? I have to go to the blue dragon of the north, Celladon, so I can get my memories back.”

“Riiight.” She hadn’t forgotten, so much as she didn't, nor did anyone else, believe him.

Siegfried tried to shift the lance from one arm to the other by using its momentum to swing behind his back, a more complicated maneuver that he had no way of knowing if it would work, but something he eventually thought to try as he became bored with the simple exercises.

The spear left his body and was thrown to his left side. With a frown, Siegfried walked up to it, picked it up, and began swinging again.

“You know, you should watch where you’re swinging that thing. You could have hit me with it.”

He said, “It’s not as if you have to be here.” but thought, of course I knew where you were before I tried the move.

Susannah's forehead scrunched at that comment, it sounded as if he didn’t appreciate her company. But it was true, it wasn’t as if she was being asked to accompany him now like she was when she showed him around town when he first arrived. In all honesty, she wasn’t sure why she was here with him. As the days passed by, it simply became a habit she didn’t think about. She said,“hmph, fine, then I’ll leave.” and walked away, thinking, ha, now you’ll see how much you'll miss me when I’m gone.

Siegfried didn’t respond, continuing his practice, though that day, for some reason, he simply could not focus and kept on fumbling maneuvers he had practiced perfectly before.

On the next day, when the once dragon came to the same practice area at the outskirts of the town, Susannah was not there.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Where could she be? Why isn’t she here, were thoughts that went through his head, completely forgetting about the end of yesterday’s conversation. He went to an open area and lifted his lance into a ready stance. Why should I care, it’s none of my business.

But on that day, Siegfried would not practice, no, he lowered his weapon and went into town.

There weren’t many places she could be, or, there weren’t many places other than one where he knew she could be.

“Thank you so much for helping out, dear,” said Susannah’s mother as she was stocking the back of their family’s general goods store.

“It’s no trouble at all, Mom.” said Susannah as she bent down under a shelf to do the same.

“Really? It just seems that you’ve been so busy lately, no time at all for your old mother,” she said with faux sorrow. “Could it be my little Annah has found some nice boy?”

“What!?” she bumped her head as her body instinctively straightened in response. “It’s not like that!” Then what is it like? “We’re just friends! Yeah, just friends,” she said, more to convince herself than her mother.

“Oh, so you have met someone, yet not once have you brought them over.”

“Gods, it’s no big deal. You’re so embarrassing.”

“How can you say that. You’ll hurt your poor old mother’s heart,” she said again with faux sorrow. Susannah could only roll her eyes at how dramatic her mother was being. Introducing Siegfried to her parents, she could only imagine how big of a disaster it would be; he wasn’t exactly the most personable fellow. And in the first place, it’s not as if he was her betrothed, gods, they’ve only known each other for a few weeks.

Just then, Siegfried walked up to the doorway of the storage room. When Susannah turned and saw him, she could only drop her jaw and what she was holding, which luckily, wasn’t fragile.

“Ohhh, and who’s this?” asked her mother admiringly.

He stepped forward, gave a light bow, and introduced himself as Siegfried, the newcomer of the town.

“So you’re Siegfried, my Annah’s always going on about you.” He raised an eyebrow in surprise and Susannah turned her dropped jaw to her mother, feeling betrayed by the obvious lie. “I was just about to head out. Ah, but look at how many crates are still left unpacked.” There was only one. Her hands were together in a pleading gesture, “If you could help Annah, that would be great.” And like that, she was out the door. The once dragon didn’t even have enough time to respond.

Siegfried walked up to Susannah. She wanted to explain what her mother just said, but instead, as if suddenly remembering something very important, she turned away from him and continued stocking the shelves, not even giving a word of greeting.

“I don’t suppose you would tell me what I did wrong if I were to ask.”

How could you not know? “No, I wouldn’t.”

He sighed, “What if I were to apologize?”

“How can you apologize for something if you don’t even know what it is?”

“I guess you’re right. I can’t.”

For a moment, they were both silent, stewing in the awkwardness of the situation.

She turned to him. They were eye to eye. And said, in a near whisper, “promise me you’ll never do it again.”

“How can I if I don’t know what it is I did?” he replied in a similar whisper.

She gave a mischievous smile, “then I guess you’ll have to promise to never upset me again.” She inched closer to him.

He did the same, “that’s a tall order, you know.”

She inched closer again. “I know.” And so did he.

Just as their lips were about to touch, the call of, “Annah!” resounded throughout the room and the two broke apart from their embrace as if what they had just done, or were about to do was some sort of crime.
    Yo, can I just say, I've never written romance before, or at least not like this, and I don't read romance. And I'm not saying I hate romance or anything, but, ugh, it's so cloying - I feel like I'm being suffocated in sweetness. All I can say is I will be so happy when this romance part of the story is concluded.

6. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    “Annah,” came the call again. It was a man’s. Red-faced, head down, and stumbling over nothing in particular, she backed out of the room and ran toward the voice.

Moments later she returned, and came up to Siegfried. Not looking directly at him and with a repressed smile, she said, “Hey, would you like to hang out later today?”

Siegfried simply smiled at that, silently watching her jittering.

“Well? Would you spit it out already?”

“I’m sorry, it’s just that I’ve never seen you like this before. It’s cute. Of course I’d like to.”

“Well alright then.” Her smile grew.
    — — — — —​
    They had agreed to meet at a tavern called The Birds’ Branch. It had a sign hanging outside of it with two blue jays on a branch.

Siegfried made his way with a light step and heart; he felt as if he was arrested with a calm serenity he had never felt before; everything would be alright, and even if it wasn't, he didn't care.

After he entered the tavern, he looked around for and found her, and others. A group of 5 men wearing chainmail, swords on their sides, and kingdom colors - blue and yellow - surrounded her where she sat.

“C’mon, Lass, ‘ave a drink with us?”

“We’ll even pay, ya don’t have to worry about a thing - not a thing!

The men were all smiles while Susannah protested, “I’m not interested in getting drunk with a bunch of lowlifes like you!” She pretended to be strong, to not care, as if such men were beyond her concern, but in truth, it took much of her courage to respond at all. She certainly didn’t want to insult them, but the words simply slipped out as they did.

“Fine then, don’t drink, just watch us drink, we only want the company of a pretty girl like you.”

One of the men motioned a hand toward her shoulder. Susannah sat stock-still, not wanting to show her fear by recoiling away, but also not wanting to go on the offense by slapping the hand away - she didn’t want things to escalate.

But before the hand could reach, Siegfried grabbed hold of it and told the man, “She’s not interested. Leave her alone.”

Aware of the sudden appearance of the newcomer, the soldiers stopped the amiable chatter, and for a moment, simply identified him.

“‘Ey! What business is it of yours what the lass does?” asked one of the men with an eyepatch and protruding jaw.

“She’s my friend.” Siegfried glared at the man.

“Well good! You’re her friend. We want to be her friends! Why don’t we all be friends together?” chimed in the shortest among them.

Siegfried replied. “Not interested. Leave.”

“Now there’s no need to be rude here. We’re just some chaps looking for a good time.”

“Fuck off.”

The commander’s eyes widened at that. As did Susannah's. In fact, everyone’s within earshot did.

A low chuckle escaped the older man's mouth. “You see these colors?” The man pointed to his tabard. “Now being a lowly foot soldier, I don’t expect much respect. But seeing as I’m fighting for king and country, I expect a little.” His men made noises of agreement. “How about an apology for using such language in front of a man of the king?” He stepped closer to the young man, until there was only an inch separating them.

Siegfried’s glare remained unchanged. In his mind, words like king and county meant nothing. “Fuck o - “ Before he could finish, the leader of the men slammed his fist into the side of his head.

Siegfried was sent reeling, not seeing the side swing because of the closeness of the other man.

His head was in haze. He heard the sound of a woman screaming and men cheering, but he couldn’t articulate what they were saying. His vision was blurry as well.

He tried to get up, right hand atop a stool, pulling himself up, and left arm pushing himself up off the ground. But before he could, he was pulled up by the collar of his shirt, and in the next instant, another fist met his face, flinging him against the bar.

Another round of cheers and a scream resounded.

Blow after blow assaulted him. Just as he would regain his footing, another fist met him. It was in this moment that Siegfried realized just how weak he was without the real Siegfried blade and armor. By himself, he was nothing. Even after training all those long hours every day. What was it all for?

Then he heard Susannah, shout, “Stop, please stop!” She was crying, he saw. One of the men held her arm behind her back and pulled on it roughly when she would try to get to Siegfried. She yelped in pain.

Don’t touch her. And suddenly, all the pain he felt vanished. All that was in his mind was her. His mind was clear and intent obvious.

Siegfried’s body launched forward, as if propelled by some unseen force, throwing itself at the man who was holding Susannah. In the next moment, the man’s back was to a wall, his feet not touching the ground, and Siegfried’s hand was holding him up by the neck.

Siegfried noticed something strange and looked down from the man's face. His hand wasn’t his normal hand, but at the same time, it was. Scales covered it, black scales, exactly like the ones of his original form.
    People, please tell me what you think.

7. Deleted member 316045

Deleted member 316045 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I READDD ALLL THEE STORRRYYYY
    IT ISS SUPERR FUNNN
    I LOVEEEE ITTT :blobmelt::blobxd:

Silver Snake likes this.
  8. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    What did you like most about it?
    Please tell me! :blobxd::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobReach:

Deleted member 316045 likes this.
  9. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Siegfried, out of shock, dropped the unconscious man and stumbled back.

Then mind bending pain assailed the once dragon for an instant, bringing him to his knees. His black scaly hand began to burn with pain. He looked down at it, grasping his wrist with his other normal hand. The fingers were melding together until there were only three. The hand was growing larger, and his nails were becoming claws. During all of this, it felt as if Siegfried’s hand and fingers were being pulled off. He screamed in agony.

To all the others behind the demidragon, they could not make heads or tails of what was happening - they only saw a man who went from one side of the room to the other in an instant, who then fell to his knees and began screaming toward the ground. Half the people ran out of the tavern, including one of the soldiers who said, “Screw this. I’m out.”

Then the pain stopped, he had stabilized. Slowly, he stood, and turned to the other men, a smile of satisfaction on his face, and eyes that were glad of what was to come, perhaps too glad.

And they saw it, his hand. Its aura reeked of murder and death. “Eyes up, swords out,” said the commander. His two remaining men followed. Susannah was forgotten in all of this, only the two parties existed in this moment, staring each other down, sizing each other up. Though Siegfried was not worried, no, not one bit.

He lunged at one of the soldiers, raking him with his claws, sending him slamming against and over the bar with his chainmail torn and blood gushing out of his chest.

Ravenous, he pivoted his upper body to the remaining two in an instant, like some kind of nightmare creature. This caused the commander’s last man (and the rest of the tavern patrons) to run away, leaving just him. He did not run, that must be said. For you or I surely would have. He squared his shoulders, and with his sword, slashed downward at our not quite hero.

Siegfried blocked it with his forearm - the scales had grown up to his elbow - took the sword’s blade into the palm of his claw, and snapped it in two like a twig.

The commander’s face was pale and lost; he had just seen the destruction of the last hope he had left on earth.

Slowly, Siegfried brought his arm back; he wanted to savor the moment. But before he could bring it down, Susannah tackled his back and shouted, “don’t! Don’t do it!”

Arm still up, he said, “are you mad? Why? Why would I stop? I’m winning!”

“You’ve already won! They've all run away or can't fight anymore!”

“So what? That doesn’t mean it’s finished! That doesn’t mean it’s done!” Siegfried tried to step forward, to push Susannah off without hurting her, but she would not budge.

She began sobbing. “When will it be done!”

“They have to die! They have to suffer! They have to scream!”

“Why! Why does it have to be that way!”

“Because it’s always been that way! Now let go of me so I can finish him off.”

“No!”

“What?”

“I won’t let you!”

“You really think you can stop me?”

She made an affirmative noise. Siegfried turned his head to face her, behind his left shoulder. He sighed, he could see that she meant it; her eyes were as fierce as any warrior’s he’d seen, perhaps more so. As he brought his arm down, his body relaxed and along with it, his hand changed back.

And then, Siegfried fainted.
    Yo, guys, if you want to support the production of this web novel or show your appreciation, then please consider rating or reviewing the series on either Royalroad or Scribblehub, and telling your friends about the story if you think they'll enjoy it.
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39670/dragon-heart
    https://www.scribblehub.com/series/225776/dragon-heart/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Naraina and Isaac20 like this.
  10. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Here I did what you asked. I don’t usually give a review. So I don't know how to do it well. But my cousin (my clone) did the work for me. All I want is to kick his ass to do this job. *evil laugh*

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/225776-dragon-heart/chapter/232783/?cid=599006

Silver Snake likes this.
  11. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    *dogeza* Thank you very much.

However, not to sound ungrateful, your review was posted to the comment section rather than the review section.

It's harder to notice the review in the comment section, and the review is more so made to entice or dissuade potential readers.

12. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops, Fu**! Gimme a second...

Silver Snake likes this.
  13. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    Done..
    Sorry about my this good for nothing cousin's idiocy!:blobpats:

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/225776/dragon-heart/?tab=review_new#comments

Silver Snake likes this.
  14. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Isaac20 likes this.
  15. Deleted member 316045

Deleted member 316045 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm...
    What did I like the most.. I think it's fun to see how a dragon which suddenly became human see world and how he deals with challenges that humans faces and experience human feelings:blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn::blobsmilehappyeyes:

Silver Snake likes this.
  16. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    It was the mid of night when Siegfried awoke. He sat himself upright and looked out the window; the moon was full, and dark clouds were gathering. Resolved, he got out of his bed, sent an arm under it, and pulled out a cubby; in it was his armor.

Earlier that day, after the incident - after Siegfried fainted, it didn’t take long for the authorities to arrive, and soon after that, the town council. He woke up soon after that, in the arms and on the lap of Susannah.

The councilmen were muttering things like I told you this would happen, and we don’t have all the facts, but when Siegfried woke up, they became silent and gathered around him. He didn’t need to be told he was in trouble to know it - their eyes told the whole story. Some were worried, some were convicting; overall, it wasn’t a good feeling. But before anything more could be said, it was decided that he would go home and rest and say his peace in the morning.

Susannah had guided him back; Siegfried had leaned on her; he was exhausted, barely able to walk. The entire time, they didn’t talk. Susannah didn’t think Siegfried was in a talking mood, and she was right, he wasn’t.

Siegfried was in his full armor again, except for the helmet - it was too restricting of his senses to wear at all times. It had been almost a month since he last wore it, he had almost forgotten it, once it was tucked away, once it was out of sight, he had almost forgotten who he was.

He then grabbed a backpack and started filling it; a spare change of clothes, his helmet, any food he could find, a knife, some rope, and anything else he thought he might need.

Lastly, he put a cloak over himself, secured a waterskin to his waist, attached a bedroll over his backpack, grabbed his spear that was resting against the wall beside the door exit, pulled up his hood, and left.

At this hour, everyone should’ve been asleep, but that didn’t make Siegfried any less cautious. If someone were to catch him, to alert others, then he would surely be caught and questioned and be put under even greater scrutiny.

He could only lament his past stupidity - to slash away at any who would dare stand in his way. Yeah, sure, he may be able to take one or two, but their numbers would eventually overwhelm him.

And so, it was with light, slow steps that he made his way past the various dwellings and places of business, and a racing heart. Without strength, he would have to rely on guile and cunning; they wouldn’t expect him to leave so suddenly after he had stayed for nearly a month, and the night was the best time, his best opportunity to slip away unnoticed. Things were so much simpler when he was strong; he didn’t have to worry about plans or chances of success, but he never would have felt the rush, the anticipation either.

Siegfried had made it far past the outskirts of the town. Now he walked leisurely on the dirt main road. He thought he had done it, he thought he had made it, that he was free. And that was when he heard the shout of, “Hey,” behind him. He pivoted around. It was Susannah.

Hasty girl and Naraina like this.
  17. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Earlier that night. Susannah couldn’t sleep. She kept on thinking about what had happened, about Siegfried and about how he must be feeling. When she saw him like that, so primal, so ferocious, he was like a wild animal, she was afraid, but only for a moment, only surprised, after the initial shock, she was no longer afraid for herself, or even the soldier, but for Siegfried. She was afraid of what he would become if he had gone through with it. But from what he had said, it sounded as if he had already become a monster. No! She shook the unbidden thought away. He’s not a monster! He’s Siegfried! No matter what he’s done. No matter who he is, he is not a monster. She thought of Siegfried’s kind eyes, the sort that would never even hurt a fly.

He must be afraid too. If she doubted him for a moment, then surely, Siegfried would think she doubted him too. I must make sure he knows. With that thought, Susannah flung off her sheets.

When she made it to his dwelling, there was no answer when she knocked on the door. He must be asleep, she thought. The thought of going back home and waiting until tomorrow came to mind, but for no reason in particular, she thought it awfully important to tell him how she felt right this instant, so she knocked harder this time. No answer.

She tried the door. It was unlocked. She flicked on a candle and illuminated the room. Siegfried wasn’t there.

“Hey,” Susannah shouted again as she finished catching up with the still Siegfried. “What the hell? Why are you leaving?”

Rain began speckling the ground.

He didn’t know what to say. No, I mean really, he himself did not know completely why he was there, out in the middle of the road half a mile (a kilometer) from town. So he simply said nonchalantly, looking away from her, “I didn’t think you would care.”

A pulse of rage ripped through her. “Of course I care!” Then her voice became quiet, her eyes pleading, “Don’t you?”

“About what?”

About what? The words echoed in her mind. About me, she wanted to say, but instead she said, “About the town, about what people will think of you if you leave in the middle of the night after an incident like that. They’ll think you were the one at fault.”

“It was my fault. I did that. But I don’t think I did anything wrong.”

The rain grew heavier.

“Then defend yourself! Make your case and clear everything up, and things will go back to how they used to be.”

He shook his head. “I can’t do that. I can’t go back.”

She was breathless, her voice nearly broke, “Why?”

He was in disbelief, “Don’t you remember? I have to break the curse. I have to find the blue dragon of the north, Celadon. It’s my… It was… Before I found the town. I… I had to…” Siegfried could not find the words. He did not know why.

And then Susannah remembered that first night they met. About what he had said about slaying the black dragon Fafnir, about it cursing him, taking away his memories, and all those other times he mentioned it. Then she remembered the fight, his hand. Suddenly, she believed all of it. “Look, I don’t know what happened to you, but I’m sure if you told the town council and asked them for help, then they would surely give it to you. You don’t have to do this on your own.”

The rain grew ever heavier.

He shook his head again. “I need someone with knowledge of magic. They would know nothing of how to undo the curse.”

She exploded, “So what if you’ve lost all your memories or are cursed with dragon parts that make you go crazy! Does it really matter! What was wrong with the way we lived before! We were happy!”

He shouted back, “I have to go back! To be who I was before! I never should have stayed in that town as long as I did! If it wasn’t for you, I would have been gone after a few days!”

It was pouring now. Their voices would have been drowned out if not for their shouting.

She was indignant, “So somehow it’s my fault! Why is it so important for you to go back! Weren’t you happy! Isn’t that the real reason you stayed!”

“It’s who I’m supposed to be! Who I was born to be! You’re nobody! You wouldn’t understand! If I was happy, I’m saying if, it wasn’t real happiness, I was just distracted! I’m supposed to be more than this! I know it!”

Her heart was broken, and her eyes were dead, she could only wrench her rain-drenched head away. “Fine.” And she turned, and left. Siegfried could not hear her final word, and there was a great pain in his chest, like a hole had been stabbed through him, but he did not know what it meant. And so he too turned and walked away. The once dragon who could not see what was his curse and what was his gift.

End of prologue.​
    People, please tell me what you think. I don't know why I said end of prologue, I just thought it sounded cool.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Hasty girl and Naraina like this.
  18. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    It had been a few days since Siegfried left Estwin. The days were uneventful as he walked the road, following it north as often as he could. He rested, ate, and drank. Once back in the wild and on the road, Siegfried was reminded of the luxuries of living the civilized life; the comfort of his dwelling, his bed, and the presence of always in reach water and food.

Though despite the inconveniences and physical exertion, Siegfried found himself enjoying the silence of solitude, the noise of nature, and the exercise. Some part of his old self felt that this was where he belonged, out in the world, free, able to spread his wings.

During these days he had tried to regain his demidragon form; all to no avail. He wondered why it didn’t work and why it did. He played the scene and the sensation over and over again in his mind, eventually thinking that it must have been a heat of battle sort of thing, something he could only tap into when his life was in danger. But then he thought about his encounter with the boar and was fairly certain that that encounter met the above conditions, yet he didn’t change back then... I had my armor and spear. I wasn’t truly in danger - without any other recourse.

And so an idea hatched in the once dragon’s mind, but then it was quickly thrown away. Endangering my life to the absolute possible limit just so I may have a chance of not even regaining my complete true form, what a stupid idea.

And with his one clue to regaining his form gone, he settled back into his first idea, to find his sister Celadon, who he was pretty sure of the location of, give or take the possible movement of a dragon’s dwelling in a hundred or so years. His green brother, Ornir, was the nomadic sort, like him before the transformation, but his red and blue siblings tended to stay in the same place; Celadon in her ice palace, and Tyradon in his cave, being served by goblins and orcs.
    — — — — —
    Siegfried was surrounded by bandits on a road that was bordered by a forest of birch trees on both sides. The time was high noon. They wore browns and grays, their armor was sparse and light. Their demeanor was much like any sane person’s in such a situation - one that was filled with tension, aware and fearful of the violence sure to come. And of course they had weapons in hand, though none looked so fine as Siegfried’s spear which he had held high and ready, prepared to strike at a moment’s notice..

The bandits didn’t like how the once dragon eyed them; he was serious, ready to kill and die, and all for what, a few coins? They thought he was bloody mad.

The largest among them, John, stepped forward from the encirclement and proclaimed with an air of authority, “We won’t ‘urt you if you give up whatever gold and silver you’ve got on you.”

Siegfried’s reply was low and quiet, cold as ice, “I would love to see you try.” He meant it. Instead of thinking about his mortality or money, he thought only of his ability. Back at the bar, he was manhandled so easily, but thinking back on it, Siegfried realized he hadn’t been ready, that it wasn’t fair, that he truly did not know yet how strong he was, or if he had gotten any stronger. Without his demidragon form, just as a human, what could he do?

With a sigh, the bandit leader said, “Get ‘em.” The bandits had no intention of killing, despite their pointy weaponry, they would only knock him around a bit, until he grew more hospitable. There were many of them and only one of him; surely, no one would get seriously hurt, right?

It was with that thought in mind that the group slowly pressed forward, shrinking the perimeter of the encirclement.

But just before one of them was in range, Siegfried swung his spear in a horizontal arc. The way its edge hissed through the air, and the way the blade glinted in the sunllight dissuaded any from getting even an inch closer.

The larger man sighed again and said, “Everyone, step back!” And they did. John stepped forward again, his quarterstaff at the ready.

Siegfried stabbed at John’s chest. Before the spear’s blade could touch him, John bent his torso back, and as he righted himself, he swung his quarterstaff at Siegfried’s side.

Siegfried deflected the blow with the sharp side of his spear, and brought the flat side down in an overarching swing. John dodged it again.

It went on for a while like this, without either of the two scoring a blow.

It was as if the two were dancing; as one stepped forward the other stepped back; their actions were in tempo, knowing that if they stopped for even a moment, that they would be struck.

Siegfried changed his advance, quickening his pace in trade for weaker attacks. This time he did not intend on doing damage, but instead tried to push his opponent back to disrupt his tempo and change the terrain.

John couldn’t adapt soon enough, the change was too quick and soon overwhelmed him, causing him to trip backwards. Siegfried found his opening and swung at the bandit’s head.

But in the midst of his swing, a memory of Susannah flashed in his mind, of her pleading for him to stop, causing his spear to cease in midair. Why, why should I?

Right after Siegfried’s thought occurred, an arrow whizzed by. It was in front of where his spear would have gone.

From up on high, a voice of playful tone sounded, “That was a close one Little John. What a sorry show for my second.” John sighed at that and said, “I thought I told you to stop calling me that?”

Jumping down from a tree was a half elf dressed in verdant green and oak brown. Atop his head was a green bycocket hat with a scarlet feather plume. In his left hand was his bow and with his right he helped John up. “And I thought I told you that nicknames are fun? How are the people supposed to remember a bandit hero who simply goes by the name John. It doesn’t roll off the tongue or stick in the mind at all.”

John towered over Robin Hood and everyone else as he stood and dusted himself off. “I don’t think anyone will remember any of us, especially as bandit heroes.”

“You’ll see, Little John, you’ll see. I promise you that.” And he meant it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Naraina likes this.
  19. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Robin turned to Siegfried, and bowed while bringing his right hand to his chest, closing the open hand until it was not quite closed. The motion was so smooth and natural, like watching the reverse of a bud’s bloom, leaving an impression of class and civility. It struck Siegfried so strongly that he would etch every motion in his mind. “I am the eponymous Robin Hood.” He paused.

Compelled to share his name from this courteous display, he replied, “I am Siegfried of Estwin,” and gave a light bow that looked clumsy and awkward in comparison.

Robin returned to his normal stance and continued, “I apologize for this mishap, Siegfried. My men and I, well, we did not think you were a true knight errant, we thought you were a fake, a pretender, like Don Quixote. We thought you were some noble brat playing at swords and adventures, ripe for the pickin’. But after seeing your fight and lookin’ at you up close, well I’m certain you’re serious, wouldn’t you agree, boys?”

There were nods and sounds of agreement.

“So how about this, if I can best you in single combat, then you are to give a portion of your sums to me.” The archer shined a confident smile.

Siegfried would have gladly agreed under normal circumstances, but something about this Robin Hood’s politeness and honesty compelled our erstwhile dragon to say instead, “I really don’t have much on me. I’m not a noble, I found this armor and spear. I’m on a journey looking for a powerful mage.”

Robin was taken aback, his smile losing its confidence, becoming smaller. “Huh, I see, that’s a shame.” He turned to his companions. “Form up, men, let’s get out of here. I’m sure our scouts have got some other hits.” Then turned back to Siegfried. “Apologies for the detour. I hope you find what you’re looking for.”

“Me too.” He flustered, “I mean, uh, I hope you find what you’re looking for too.”

Robin smiled wistfully at that. “Thanks,” and left.

The bandits vanished as suddenly as they appeared, into the forest depths, leaving Siegfried back on his way.

After another week of traveling, Siegfried made his way to the city of Deepdale. True to its name, the city was situated in a low valley surrounded on all sides by mountains. The city was placed at a crossroads of borders and commerce, and because of this, the city was one of the most cosmopolitan of all, where most of the world had humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings living in their perspective countries and city-states, this was a city where all lived and were born. Why, even the odd goblin or orc could be seen wandering about.

Deepdale was also called by many the Untouchable Jewel. For in the mountains surrounding it sat rare metals and gems, but along with them were monsters and races that lived only underground, like kobolds and goblins. These races were different from the others, less civilized and more animalistic - if one were to meet such an individual in the underground, stopping to talk would guarantee a swift death.

But because of the various treasures that dwelled in them, many organizations and mercenary groups raided its inner reaches, often leaving with heavy injuries or sometimes not leaving at all, and ever more rarely, leaving with an unfathomable treasure hoard.

And because of all these trained troops and the mountainsides that acted like impenetrable walls, though many have tried to conquer the city, it has always remained untouched.

As Siegfried entered the city, the time was late morning, he gawked at his new surroundings. Hidden behind the mountain walls was a city with tall buildings packed together, far off in the distance were towers that reached almost as high as the mountains, overhead were tributaries and bridges and two neighbors talking from their balconies , covering the ground was cobblestone, festooned over and aside the myriad establishments and homes were signs and flags of colorful and fanciful design. And the people, they flooded the street, leaving little room for personal space.

Like a country bumpkin, he stood in awe of the experience, of the countless people who all looked so different from another, who all looked to be going somewhere, who all paid Siegfried no mind, bumping him roughly whenever he was in their way. But after the first few bumps, he realized he had better start moving and did so.

He wasn’t sure what to do or where to go. He knew what his mission was, but this city was a new experience for him. He didn’t want to get distracted by it, but at the same time, Siegfried didn’t want to feel like he was missing out on anything by simply passing through. He decided to find an inn, somewhere that was far from the hum of the crowd, somewhere where he could think.

Off somewhere else in Deepdale, in the basement of a mansion, a young woman was frantically flipping through the contents of a thick book with yellowed pages and worn edges, her eyes scanning the pages. Abruptly, she stopped, she had found it.
    Her name was Willow Onder - the only child of the Onder house, and in the center of the room was a circle inscribed with runes and glyphs. It seemed to be chiseled into the ground.

In her mind, she listed off the components needed for the ritual, hoping the lab was stocked with everything required.

Willow scoured the shelves and desks, picking up vials and jars and turning them to see their labels or looking at them through backlight to better see their contents, and pushing aside various containers that were in the way of the ones deep behind.

Almost running, she placed every ingredient where it needed to be within the circle, and then she went to get the final ingredient. She unclipped the clasp and pulled free from the holster on her waist a dagger. While chanting the incantation, she made a shallow cut on the palm of her hand, then she placed it over the circle, allowing a single drop to fall into its indentations. That was all that was required.

The circle began to glow red. At first it was faint, barely visible, but as Willow continued the incantation, the light grew brighter, dying the entire room red. When the light stopped growing, it flashed.

Reflexively, she recoiled, turning her head away and covering her eyes with her arm, though it was too late.

Seconds passed as her vision returned, all the while, Willow heard repeated thuds, like that of a battering ram slamming into a gate.

She lowered her arm and turned toward the circle. Inside it was a red-skinned humanoid with two horns protruding out from its head, a barb-tipped whip-like tail, long hooved legs, its arms were long too, with claw-like nails at the ends of its fingers, and giant webbed wings that were folded in. Though it slouched and stood with bent knees, its muscular form was still tall and sinewy. It wore nothing but a torn cloth around its waist. Its eyes were devoid of any human emotion, pure black as they were. But its face, it told a story of impatience and rage.

At the sight of this, a triumphant grin spread across Willow's face.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Naraina likes this.
  20. Naraina

Naraina Step Red Sibling ⭐ | † Trickster

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally T-T

Thank you :notworthy:

Silver Snake likes this.