Discussion Dropped vs New Korean novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chamber, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Would you like to see more new Korean novels or see dropped ones picked back up?

1. more new novels!

34.6%
  2. Please pick [ ] back up!

65.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I advice that you release at least the first chapter ASAP

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To answer your questions
    1. As long as the novel isn't trash, pick up whatever. It would be nice to have good completed novels, but average stuff doesn't really need to be priotized over new stuff.
    2. Correct me if I'm wrong but it feel like a lot of kr groups have issues with internal politics. Wasn't there a time when tlers would get poached from site to another? Consolidating around a central power would probably help...
    3. I would never generalize. I mean, look at rainbow turtle. Fast and steady wins the race.
    4. Yeh, if you ignore bigwigs like ww and qi.
    5. Don't have one.
    6. Sure, why not.

PS, I'm just gonna clean up your post a little...

Wujigege likes this.
  3. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    1. And 2. I think as long as the novel is good, it doesnt matter it is dropped or new. But for good new novel. I hope translator with good reputation (like you or rainbowturtle) is the one that pick the project up.

3. I think it is the problem for amateur translation. Only minority that get the job done.

4. For JP i think most of good series is either been licenced or in the right place (got good translator) and for CN we have company that get the job done (qi and ww, gravity maybe...) i hope good kr novel is translated by ww or gravity.

5 i want to say i am the monarch. But it is already picked by that group. Hoping for more release stability though. Beside that is possessing nothing

4. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they stopped at a crucial time.
    Like, ooh we are gathering members to fight the dragon then theyre about to enter the dungeon, bam!!!, no chapters.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you like to see them pick up dropped novels, or keep introducing new Korean novels?
      Why not both? If there's a dropped novel you want to translate, go for it. If there's a new one that interests you more, do that instead. If you're not translating for profit, pick a novel that you want to translate. If you're translating something you hate, you'll be more likely to drop it.
    2. What is your opinion on this matter?
      Some novels aren't that great. Many novels start out with a great opening and then degrade into utter crap. If most of the dropped novels fall into that category, maybe that's why they were dropped in the first place. Before picking up a novel, read as far ahead as possible to prevent said situation.
    3. Do you think Korean translators are mostly irresponsible?
      No more than any other translators. Translators have lives outside of translating. Unless translating is your full-time job, when more important stuff comes up, your hobbies have to be put on hold.
    4. Do you think it's just as common in CN and JP?
      I haven't looked at the number of dropped novels on NU. What proportion of KR novels are dropped compared to other languages?
    5. If you want a series (KR) picked back up, which one do you wish to see read again?
    6. Should I try making a munpia ranking's list?
      What would be the benefit of it? Even if there is no benefit, I can't see any harm in doing so.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped it because I don't enjoy master slave relationships.
    The novel is still listed as active on their website

7. HnM_Pete

HnM_Pete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They should do whatever they enjoy doing. Burnout is a thing and it's hard for a worse feeling than working hours every week on something you loathe for less money than you could get in the local McDonald's.
    My opinion is: Meh. I find this inevitable since a majority of new non-Japanese translators sees this as a source of income rather than a hobby. Once the views and riches fail to materialize, you get disillusionment and for lack of any other attachments to the story, the novel gets dropped. This is the problem with trying to work like a professional, for-profit operation. There's a lot of pressure to keep pumping content, cycling through titles looking for the big hit, and a lot of incentives to only focus on money spinners while cutting the "deadwood".
    No, they are just naive, very opinionated and start translating for all the wrong reasons.
    It is common across all languages, but more visible in your scene because right now there's not many of you and all of you are translating the very best of Munpia. Whenever one of you goes, one or more novels with big following dies and that's noticeable.
    None. Korean translators, you included, tend to release so often that you struggle to attract really good editors and keep a high standard. I understand why, but don't enjoy reading 70%-done chapters. Tell me when that changes, and then I'll come back to the question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.