News Dropping WSSTH + The real Kurazy

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by KurazyTolanzuraytor, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. absolutezerofricks

absolutezerofricks Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovel: "My last suggestion, do respect the agreement and laws that you signed. Be a gentleman."
    https://forum.webnovel.com/d/6507-dropping-wssth-the-real-kurazy/91

Webnovel talking about respecting agreements and being a gentleman... irony at its finest.
    I bow to your shamelessness.

He did mention in a comment that he texted the boss about quitting, but he was instead contacted by someone else. But i digress.
    Webnovel talked about how he should have given a 30 day notice and so on, but they failed to mention that he was kicked out of the translation platform and the server within 30 minutes. I don't see that as trying to mend fences. I further fail to see how that will keep someone from leaving. He did offer to work a little more if needed. You could have solved the issue privately. But NO! You(webnovel) removed him from all the relevant servers and then talk about goodwill and 30 day notices.
    P.S. Webnovel should really fire that PR guy. I saw his comment before he edited out =.= What an immature brat.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19637.png
    QI PR team really underestimate reader and by stander

IAmGodSlayer and aoiisora like this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? *goes read thread on Qidian forums* (only read a bit of it)

... So... OP breaks contract and everyone blames Qidian? As usual I guess, it's always Qidian's fault after all~

4. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I made an exception and visited Qi site first time in months just to read the drama.
    Dude left 50+ chapters for them and said he could translate 20 more if it meant to last the month he is supposed to wait before quiting.

Actually, OP wanted to leave on good terms, but Qi wanted to throw mud at him, so it had to end with Qi locking the thread, because at some point, they just couldn't reply to @KurazyTolanzuraytor

Westeller likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I did see that he left the 50+ chapters, and he said he could translate 20 more, but he had already made a thread saying he was quitting and created a lot of public drama by then, didn't he?

This kind of issue should obviously be resolved privately with Qidian announcing the change in translator, not the translator themselves announcing it one day (or less) after telling it to Qidian, I just don't understand why people were saying Qidian's PR was messing up in bringing the affair public when the OP was the one that brought it to public in the first place.

As far as I saw, the OP broke the contract and everyone was siding with them instead of with the wronged party for some reason. The OP is free to change workplaces if the new workplace will give them a better salary, but that doesn't give them the right to break the contract and leave without 30 days advance notice. I just don't understand why people on Qidian forums were talking as if Qidian was in the wrong when the OP was clearly the one that messed up.

Honestly, even the Qidian PR admitted that there was no problem at all in the OP leaving to seek a better salary, that is a perfectly normal business practice, they just needed to give a notice 30 days prior, why is Qidian wrong on this? I don't get it.

Westeller likes this.
  6. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Qi isn't on the wrong... I think you just want to shove the fact that they aren't a tad bit too much...

The thing is, they wanted drama, and they got it.
    They could just as easily have said some stuff privately with the translator, instead of literally throwing mud at him...

If you read... or paid attention, @KurazyTolanzuraytor responses were pretty good in response to Qi's ones...
    Now that doesn't mean he isn't on the wrong, but frankly, I could care less about that, when Qi tries to be the worse party in every exchange...

AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Kurazy started the drama, but Qidian certainly fanned the flames~ *giggles*

What annoyed me was how almost all comments on the thread were saying how Qidian was doing shit or how their PR is horrible or... Well, just blaming Qidian for pretty much anything they said.

I mean, it feels like almost everyone active on the webnovel forums is there just for the sake of shitting on Qidian? Feels weird to me, they can just avoid the forums altogether if they hate the company that much?

More than Qidian and Kurazy's problem, what I didn't understand was the public reaction to the whole issue, since they seemed to be blaming Qidian when the company was in the right for once (even if their way of handling it wasn't good, Kurazy's way of handling it wasn't good either).

So... For me, it looked like both sides were throwing mud at one another, but everyone in the public seemed to side with one of the sides simply because they hate the other, even though the hated side was the one that received the first mud throw this time... It just... Stroke me as weird.

Westeller likes this.
  8. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OP and QI already closed their "relationship". Both side make mistake. OP by announcing that he gonna quit before the deal is finished, the company by proceed the announcement without negotiating or mentioning the clause in the contract.

Then their PR bringing the clause into public forum to make OP look bad, nothing else.

OP counter that he already give more than what his contract demand (more chapter than he should deliver) and even offer a possiblity for "settlement", yet the PR rambling here and there.

Saying that they have already paid for the extra chapter so his extra effort means nothing is another stupid post that they seems to keep repeating. whether OP deliver the extra 50 chapter in one day or in 30 days, QI will need to pay anyway.

I'm not saying QI PoV is wrong, but the way they communicate it are bad. They attack OP while disregard what OP already give to QI.

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. KurazyTolanzuraytor

KurazyTolanzuraytor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had certain personal reasons and considerations for making the notice public, but I honestly thought public/private notice didn't matter since the contract didn't specify it had to be in private. I do apologize if that was a mistake on my part.
    P.S. I did convey my intention to quit before making the post.

VixenKiss and Westeller like this.
  10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *nod nod* Qidian messed up too, I just didn't understand the whole public backlash on the whole thing.
    Ah, it's usually just more professional to handle those things privately it's not wrong per se to do it publicly though.

As in, handling those things publicly causes drama, especially when it is something related to Qidian, since anything related to Qidian causes drama regardless of what is happening... So... It's generally better to just handle the issue privately, it generally ends up being solved better than when it is brought to public.

It's not legally wrong though, if anything it was just the 30 days thing that was a problem.

Westeller likes this.
  11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read through the thread on Qidian International and, well, I agree with @AliceShiki.

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm usually very vocally critical of Qidian International and its business ethics. So trust that I'm being completely objective when I say @KurazyTolanzuraytor should have taken this more slowly. There's nothing wrong with the announcement that was posted. It's not slanderous of Qidian International or hateful. There's also nothing wrong with valuing your work and pursuing financial success. Quitting a job for a better job is, as @rexzshadow put it, not hard to understand.

No, my only criticism is that this became public way too quickly. Thirty days advanced notice doesn't seem necessary to me, whatever the contract stipulates, but it seems like @KurazyTolanzuraytor gave what was essentially no notice at all before going public. It would have been better to privately discuss things for at least a day or two before posting any kind of public announcement.

Despite rushing the public announcement, however, the drama and controversy surrounding it isn't entirely @KurazyTolanzuraytor's fault. Rather, it has very little to do with the announcement itself and much more to do with the discussion that followed. The announcement quickly became irrelevant amidst criticism and defensive replies among everyone involved. Everyone - @KurazyTolanzuraytor, Qidian International's PR, and even members of the peanut gallery like @CKtalon_TMW, quickly became defensive and critical of one another and the thread went downhill from there.

The drama was never about @KurazyTolanzuraytor quitting or the announcement.

No, it was about refuting whatever the last guy said.

Everyone involved is at fault for that.

Despite how long we've been dealing with back and forth drama between Qidian International, WuxiaWorld, readers and translators, it seems that no one - myself included - has ever really learned how to handle public discussion in an even remotely professional manner.

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, looking back on it, it seems about right. The whole trouble before the threadlock didn't seem to be related to the announcement itself at all... Rather, the announcement didn't seem to stir any drama at all from what I saw...

Hmmmm... I guess it's what happens it's hard to know how to be professional when the community was born out of a bunch of volunteers and is just now becoming related to a handful of legalized companies...

13. CraiDt

CraiDt New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally I only lurk, but I see so many people post the weirdest arguments here that I thought I needed to chime in.
    Assuming we can take both what @KurazyTolanzuraytor and Webnovel said over at QI at face value the wage dispute began last year and concessions were made by Q.I. to let people use patron to resolve said disputes. At the point were they allowed said monetization they opened that door, permanently, bar specific agreements for a time period which aren't mentioned so more than likely do not exist.
    If they did Webnovel @Q.I. would have mentioned this to end the entire discussion.
    This is not goodwill, this is a form of payment. Effectively the terms of their employment were renegotiated last year in the dispute. This is not something they could arbitrarily revoke when they implemented their premium system, with the initial contract as justification.
    Wage disputes that last as long as this one are rare, people thinking KurazyTolanzuraytor rushed this are looking at the last day as an isolated incident, which isn't the case.

Q.I. has the goods,capital and potential client base to be a very successful enterprise, but it is failing spectacularly due to their management being utterly incompetent.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm... I think a bit differently on it.

As in, patreon is a third party business that works independently from Qidian and has no relationship to it whatsoever... You are correct in saying that it was a renegotiation in their terms of employment, but from what it was said, it was also agreed upon that this would disappear once the premium system was established.

So... It was temporary change on the terms of employment that was agreed upon by both parties and both parties knew that it was temporary.

The issue seems rushed not because it was not a long dispute (because patreon was there for quite a while), but because there was very little notice of Kurazy quitting before they actually quit.

15. CraiDt

CraiDt New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue is the premium system, or rather how it is set up. Had to re-read the exact wording used and they indeed agreed to use it temporarily, my bad, you correctly mentioned this. The relationship is between Q.I. and their employee which they allowed to use patreon as part of the compromise regarding the salary dispute last year. There is no relationship implied between Q.I. and Patreon.

As such his argument is that there is no actual advanced chapter system, but a different monetization system. An in-house system implied something similar to the patreon setup at the time. 3 Months later the payment plan has still not been implemented, so there is no realistic expectation for the system to change by this point in time. These translators are just employees, they are just paid for a service, the agreement they entered into last year provided wildly different expectations than the actual outcome. So in my opinion it's not little notice, but him putting up with, best case, 3 months of Q.I. not fulfilling their obligations.
    There is no one on this planet that would put up with the majority of their income being up for interpretation like this.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, Qidian did take too much to give them part of the income with the premium system, that is indeed true, the OP is totally in the right to quit when they see that the deal is no longer profitable for them, even Qidian's PR manager agreed with that.

The thing is that even though they were unsatisfied for 3 months, or rather, even if they were openly unsatisfied for 3 months and complained about it daily to Qidian's staff, it doesn't change the fact that they needed to give a notice they were quitting with 30 days advance, that's pretty much the only legal problem with this whole thing.

It's not a big issue since there are 50 spare chapters left, which should fill in for the time it takes for Qidian to assign a new translator to the project, but it's still a contract breach, that's pretty much all I was saying.

17. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Long story short, ww pays you better.

18. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Funniest thing from that whole thread was this:

[​IMG]
    That comment of course has been edited now, but I happened to be reading the thread right after they posted it. I'd say he was tilted, which likely contributed to the rest of the thread that followed which made it all worse. Thing is, the thread had been buried and was pretty much dead before the official account there chimed in. For the record, I think he was replying to the comment above the one in the screenshot.

19. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    QI never ceases to amaze me.
    + Posting for support
    Really appreciate what you've done InVader, even if I don't read WSSTH, and I know it must have taken a lot of courage to post this! : )

20. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know the funny thing? The discussion between @AliceShiki and @CraiDt is basically the same between QI and OP, it just alice manage to communicate what QI want in a far far much better way.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.