Dumb Or Genius Friend Circles

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 110464, May 28, 2018.

?

Which will you improve under more??

1. Dumb friend circle

30.8%
  2. Genius friend circle

69.2%
  1. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    In schools/colleges friend circles tend to be formed quite quickly and generally they are divided in two groups The Genius ones and The Dumb ones.

If, you have to join one, Who do you think will greatly Influence you and you'd Improve under(You are a Mediocre boy/girl)~ Dumb friend circle or Genius friend circle??

The Genius circle may help you with many things, but you may end up having an inferiority complex.
    While
    In The Dumb circle you'd be able to improve by explaining others (aka improving your understanding in a topic by going through topic, clearing other's doubts, etc) but you'd end up with either a superior feeling or you'd never know your level among others.

What do you guys think, share your experience or thoughts about it??

Btw don't say a mixed breed group coz they are rare and mostly have one genius(me:blobpats:) and other mediocres in it(even my own had like that)

This thought came while playing Badminton with my sis whose not at all a good at it:notlikeblob:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
    Lil K.O likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Friends circle? What's that? Can you eat it?:blobcheeky:

Slayerwolfx2, Lil K.O, Rumby and 2 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 110464

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's a fast food, doesn't last long though

Lil K.O, Rumby, bbctheory84 and 2 others like this.
  4. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    you ignorant fool!!!
    it's those you know!!
    the one where there are flowers whoe are planted on a circular formation, and when you enter the circle you will be teleported!!!

ps: the time when you categorize your friends into groups. . .
    is the time when you don't look at them as friends,

Rotta, Slayerwolfx2, Lil K.O and 2 others like this.
  5. Lianna

Lianna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Staying in the so-called "dumb" circle can make one complacent. Maybe it's better to choose something in the middle between these two extremes. For example, relax with one group and study with other

Lil K.O likes this.
  6. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    of course its genius friends
    i can copy their work and trust them in group projects

7. Deleted member 110464

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, circles do exist and idk what to say about whether you consider them as friends or not.
    I mean group of friends can be called a circle too.

The middle ones are obviously the better ones but they are very rare to be found.

Idk what to say. The reasoning is very Stupid, one can still copy answers without becoming the part of their group.
    Btw idk if they'll let someone whose lone interest is copying their work, in their group.

Lil K.O likes this.
  8. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither is good for you.

The "dumb" group is the situation where you're going to be the most competent. There's nothing to achieve/grow and you'll feel frustration in the inability to aim up, not to mind having to deal with people who are always dumber than you. Eventually, that means you need to find a better/broader group where there is going to be competent people above you.

The "genius" group is the situation in where you are perpetually the lowest of the low. That's a really bad feeling. No matter what you do and no matter what you feel, you'll always be that loser of the group without the ability to aim up. This means you need to find a friend group where you have people around your own competence and you do have the ability to grow to the top.

Besides no friend group is all geniuses and all dumb people. Either you're being arrogant, don't have a lot of friends, or just using this as a scenario to talk about this (<- which I think it's more likely this)

EDIT Like everyone else, college students don't divide themselves with dumb or genius (terms that are very scoped). It's more likely self-perceived social status.

9. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Dumb circle for connections, those type are the ones that somehow make it big, and genius circle for understanding complex subjects and copying their work + connections Incase they invent something we can make business out of it using dumb circle as ceo or something

10. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    not really..

Lil K.O likes this.
  11. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean "not really"?

If you're only mediocre, as suggested by OP, and you're in a genius group. You will always be the lowest in terms of competence.

Lil K.O likes this.
  12. Deleted member 110464

Reading List:
    Link
    No, by discussing/explaining various concepts to them your understanding level of that topic would increase manifolds,also, your teaching ability
    There are, but the question was more of a hypothetical question.
    My real question would have been related to Badminton. Would you improve by playing against a weak opponent or a strong one.
    Lol, kinda true.
    It's true. The inferiority complex can be agonizing if they bully you(even if teasing)

Lil K.O and m7vpc like this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    op never mentioned/suggested you being mediocre.
    "You will always be the lowest in terms of competence" that's not true and even if we assume it to be isnt the first point of living to be constantly striving to better oneself? Moreover isnt the point of real friends to help others, like if you are bad at studies, your friends will support you.

is not that exactly opposite of being friends then?

Lil K.O likes this.
  14. Deleted member 110464

Reading List:
    Link
    I did mention it, and even highlighted it.
    that was just an example and teasing does happen in such groups becoz you tend to be the odd one out.
    Say, when everyone is discussing something that you're even unaware of, that can give rise to inferior feeling and can give rise to teasing/bullying.
    I'm saying through experience, though mine was very shallow and I knew how to tackle it.

Lil K.O likes this.
  15. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, increasing teaching ability and personal understanding when you teach someone else is an assumption that doesn't happen all the time. Life isn't a video game where if you spend some time, you automatically become more proficient. We need to make a distinction between teaching ignorant people and truly dumb people. The ability teach/understand difficult concepts can improve when you teach ignorant people. On the other hand, for people under the IQ of 85 (15% of the population), forget about cell mechanisms, you'll be teaching those students way easier concepts that you've probably mastered already. You'll learn more about patience for sure.

Now the next question is about would you improve against a weak opponent or a strong one in badminton. Let's give this case scenario a run. Let's say you were in a tournament every weekend playing against either weak opponents (who you usually beat all the time except in rare cases) and strong opponents (who you usually lose to all the time except in rare cases). First, there's no incentive to train if you're going to beat weak opponents all the time or lose against strong opponents all the time. Gradually, not only will you get better to beat weak opponents all the time, but your stronger opponents will start to play in their own level of talent. Both kinds of opponents are not really going to help you get better.

I guess OP already answered that for you....so I'll move on.

If everyone is a genius, their competence (competence is the ability to do something successfully or efficiently) is always going to be better than yours, even if you might actually be pretty damn good. Now it's good to strive to be better in life, but if you're always at the bottom, even if you're slightly good at it, then you're just going to become a beta male. No one wants to be a beta male, especially since it's at the bottom of the dominance hierarchy.

Also, your friends aren't your parents. They can be your rivals competing for the same interests and resources. Don't think that because they are your friends, you deserve a helping hand every single time. That's being a burden.

16. Deleted member 110464

Reading List:
    Link
    So True.
    Groups do have this fierce competition going on among them(especially Geeks).

P.s. I appreciate your efforts for answering seriously in this discussion.

Lil K.O and m7vpc like this.
  17. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Rare"?

Where do you live? Fantasyland?

Lil K.O likes this.
  18. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do enjoy thinking and discussing thoughtful questions, so thank you too for entertaining me.

19. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no genius circle, you meant smart circle. I don't even know a single genius.
    You should get rid of the dumb circle even if it seems a bit cruel, smart ones will push you to improve while dumb ones use you and make you feel at ease, like hell I'm better than all of them I don't need to work hard, ye...you're better than a bunch of schmuks, big achievement...

20. Deleted member 110464

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, they are, at least till School level.
    Btw, I live on Earth
    Firstly,the question is a bit hypothetical and we'll, I chose two extreme people there but i hope you can somewhat understand what I mean.
    Secondly, Genius and Smart are way too different. A Genius doesn't means he's smart or a Dumb(Intelligence wise) may be smart too.

Lil K.O likes this.